WOW!! Alaska AM DX Nov 28

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

Well, today was INTERESTING!

Had a weak but readable NRK P1 Svalbard on 1485, Iran was pretty strong and clear in short spurts on 1449 when escaping the 1khz het from KLAM 1450 thats 350 miles away! both occurred between 1640 and 1730.

Then shortly after 1740utc, the door flew open to more.. Talk Sport 1089 and Absolute on 1215 were in fairly to pretty good in decent spurts.

I also had Moldova on 1413 decently enough but not great. Radio Sawa, Kuwait on 1548khz showed up fairly well.

I also had what i'm nearly 100 percent positive is from Romania, but unsure yet if its Radio romania Actualitati or Radio Constanta. It was definately "slavic" in nature and I even heard the word Romania, but couldnt make out much else while live listening

Paul Walker
McGrath, Alaska
CC skywave & 5" DeBock FSL antenna

Paul Blundell

Great loggings Paul.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021, 5:37 am Paul B. Walker, Jr., <walkerbroadcasting@...> wrote:
Well, today was INTERESTING!

Had a weak but readable NRK P1 Svalbard on 1485, Iran was pretty strong and clear in short spurts on 1449 when escaping the 1khz het from KLAM 1450 thats 350 miles away! both occurred between 1640 and 1730.

Then shortly after 1740utc, the door flew open to more.. Talk Sport 1089 and Absolute on 1215 were in fairly to pretty good in decent spurts.

I also had Moldova on 1413 decently enough but not great. Radio Sawa, Kuwait on 1548khz showed up fairly well.

I also had what i'm nearly 100 percent positive is from Romania, but unsure yet if its Radio romania Actualitati or Radio Constanta. It was definately "slavic" in nature and I even heard the word Romania, but couldnt make out much else while live listening

Paul Walker
McGrath, Alaska
CC skywave & 5" DeBock FSL antenna

Nick B.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 06:37 PM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
Talk Sport 1089 and Absolute on 1215 were in fairly to pretty good in decent spurts.
Great stuff, if you're hearing those where should I be listening for stuff from Alaska?

Nick?

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

I’m really not up on how that works in the reverse

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 8:06 AM Nick B. <nick@...> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 06:37 PM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
Talk Sport 1089 and Absolute on 1215 were in fairly to pretty good in decent spurts.
Great stuff, if you're hearing those where should I be listening for stuff from Alaska?

Nick?

Steve Whitt

Hi Nick

I’m guessing you are somewhere in the UK? If so the best chance of hearing Alaska on MW is KBRW 680.

It needs special conditions and the best time to listen isn’t obvious. Just before UK sunset is a possibility. It helps to reduce interference from Spain on 684. Reception of KBRW has occurred at almost every hour of the day in deep winter in northern Scotland.

But reception further south is exceptional.

Good luck

STeve

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 06:37 PM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:

Talk Sport 1089 and Absolute on 1215 were in fairly to pretty good in decent spurts.

Great stuff, if you're hearing those where should I be listening for stuff from Alaska?

Nick?

Nick B.

Hi Steve,
I realise from this part of the East Midlands with urban noise I'm being rather optimistic with an ultralight. Around 6100km from here on the great circle route on a bearing of 351 degrees.

Nick

Steve Whitt

Hi Nick

Last winter I managed what I thought I’d never do at my home location. That was reception of KBRW on Tecsun PL380 boosted by a Gary DeBock outrigger ferrite rod at my location just east of York.

Reception was only just possible due to Euro interference and noise but none the less amazed me.

So it can be done but it might take a silly number of hours listening.

Rgds

Steve

I realise from this part of the East Midlands with urban noise I'm being rather optimistic with an ultralight. Around 6100km from here on the great circle route on a bearing of 351 degrees.

Nick

Gary DeBock

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 12:19 PM, Steve Whitt wrote:

Hi Nick

Last winter I managed what I thought I’d never do at my home location. That was reception of KBRW on Tecsun PL380 boosted by a Gary DeBock outrigger ferrite rod at my location just east of York.

Reception was only just possible due to Euro interference and noise but none the less amazed me.

So it can be done but it might take a silly number of hours listening.

Rgds

Steve

Nick and All,

Steve has certainly exceeded the expectations of the wacky designer of the modified PL-380, for which a full construction article is posted at the following link   https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/m10hxsm6eo6x8w9t4pbog1ohpqe2hrwz

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Nick B.

It's certainly possible to push the boundaries as you guys have demonstrated. I've modified a PL-310ET to accept an external MW or LW antenna using a shielded transformer in place of the ferrite that is still tuned by the varactor diode in the Si4734 chip. This allows me to use any antenna I wish. I've managed to hear a number of North Americans with this.

Yesterday evening on my SDR, a trace on the waterfall on 680 between approx 1735 and 1830, but too weak for any audio. Nothing this evening. Spain isn't the big signal problem here, it's Droitwich on 693 I need to be able to null.

Regards,
Nick