Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: [UltralightDX] What effect does full moon have on radio reception?
This question has been asked by somebody who has contacted me via my blog.
"What effect does full moon have on radio reception?"

Paul Blundell

Thanks.

I did a little bit of research before I posted the question and also found a few links. Does anybody have any personal experience to share on this or know of any research on it?

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
This question has been asked by somebody who has contacted me via my blog.
"What effect does full moon have on radio reception?"

DX Pedro

I know nothing about it, but still this week i've been getting peru
and brasil and also got (i think) new zealand on the whip on my
bunker... so it might have some influence?
// pedro andrade

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 4:50 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.

I did a little bit of research before I posted the question and also found a few links. Does anybody have any personal experience to share on this or know of any research on it?

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 1:29 PM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@mail.com> wrote:

Do these links help?
https://www.quora.com/How-does-weather-affect-radio-reception?share=1
http://evarc.org/Intro%20to%20Radio%20Wave%20Propagation-modified.pdf
https://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/propagation.htm

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@gmail.com>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
This question has been asked by somebody who has contacted me via my blog.
"What effect does full moon have on radio reception?"

Is this a technical question or more just somebody asking for personal reasons?

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 4:50 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I did a little bit of research before I posted the question and also found a few links. Does anybody have any personal experience to share on this or know of any research on it?
>
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 1:29 PM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
>>
>> Do these links help?
>> https://www.quora.com/How-does-weather-affect-radio-reception?share=1
>> http://evarc.org/Intro%20to%20Radio%20Wave%20Propagation-modified.pdf
>> https://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/propagation.htm
>>

>> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM
>> From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
>> To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
>> Subject: [UltralightDX] What effect does full moon have on radio reception?
>> This question has been asked by somebody who has contacted me via my blog.
>> "What effect does full moon have on radio reception?"
>>

> --
> Paul

Russ Edmunds

There is no known evidence that the moon, full or otherwise, has any effect on radio propagation on any band.  Someone simply raised the question from curiosity AFAIK.

Russ Edmunds

WB2BJH

Blue Bell, PA

Grid FN20id

Is this a technical question or more just somebody asking for personal reasons?

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
I know nothing about it, but still this week i've been getting peru
and brasil and also got (i think) new zealand on the whip on my
bunker... so it might have some influence?
// pedro andrade

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 4:50 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I did a little bit of research before I posted the question and also found a few links. Does anybody have any personal experience to share on this or know of any research on it?
>
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 1:29 PM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
>>
>> Do these links help?
>> https://www.quora.com/How-does-weather-affect-radio-reception?share=1
>> http://evarc.org/Intro%20to%20Radio%20Wave%20Propagation-modified.pdf
>> https://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/propagation.htm
>>

>> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM
>> From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
>> To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
>> Subject: [UltralightDX] What effect does full moon have on radio reception?
>> This question has been asked by somebody who has contacted me via my blog.
>> "What effect does full moon have on radio reception?"
>>

> --
> Paul

Paul Blundell

A bit of both I guess, I have asked them to join up here but they won't.

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
I know nothing about it, but still this week i've been getting peru
and brasil and also got (i think) new zealand on the whip on my
bunker... so it might have some influence?
// pedro andrade

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 4:50 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I did a little bit of research before I posted the question and also found a few links. Does anybody have any personal experience to share on this or know of any research on it?
>
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 1:29 PM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
>>
>> Do these links help?
>> https://www.quora.com/How-does-weather-affect-radio-reception?share=1
>> http://evarc.org/Intro%20to%20Radio%20Wave%20Propagation-modified.pdf
>> https://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/propagation.htm
>>

>> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM
>> From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
>> To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
>> Subject: [UltralightDX] What effect does full moon have on radio reception?
>> This question has been asked by somebody who has contacted me via my blog.
>> "What effect does full moon have on radio reception?"
>>

> --
> Paul

I guess the sun itself might have more impact on it.

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
I know nothing about it, but still this week i've been getting peru
and brasil and also got (i think) new zealand on the whip on my
bunker... so it might have some influence?
// pedro andrade

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 4:50 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I did a little bit of research before I posted the question and also found a few links. Does anybody have any personal experience to share on this or know of any research on it?
>
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 1:29 PM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
>>
>> Do these links help?
>> https://www.quora.com/How-does-weather-affect-radio-reception?share=1
>> http://evarc.org/Intro%20to%20Radio%20Wave%20Propagation-modified.pdf
>> https://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/propagation.htm
>>

>> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM
>> From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
>> To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
>> Subject: [UltralightDX] What effect does full moon have on radio reception?
>> This question has been asked by somebody who has contacted me via my blog.
>> "What effect does full moon have on radio reception?"
>>

> --
> Paul

Jorge Garzón

Hi Paul,
The moon itself has no effect at all on the wave propagation but it is a reflecting surface for the VHF and upper frequencies. It is just an inerte body reflecting the Sun light and not a source of energy able to ionize atmosphere layers or induce similar effects on radiofrecuency comms.

As a reflecting surface it acts as a rock where high frequency waves bounce towards several directions. Ham amateur use it as a reflector to EME QSOs (Earth Moon Earth) involving very high radiated powers and/or huge phased arrays to get maximum dB gain to allow reception echoes on its surface.

Hope it helps.

DX Pedro

Thanks for the clarification, Jorge :)
Un saludo!
// pedro andrade

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 8:11 AM Jorge Garzón via groups.io
<iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Paul,
The moon itself has no effect at all on the wave propagation but it is a reflecting surface for the VHF and upper frequencies. It is just an inerte body reflecting the Sun light and not a source of energy able to ionize atmosphere layers or induce similar effects on radiofrecuency comms.

As a reflecting surface it acts as a rock where high frequency waves bounce towards several directions. Ham amateur use it as a reflector to EME QSOs (Earth Moon Earth) involving very high radiated powers and/or huge phased arrays to get maximum dB gain to allow reception echoes on its surface.

Hope it helps.
Saludos

Enviado desde Yahoo Mail con Android

Paul Blundell

Thank you. I will pass this on.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021, 17:11 Jorge Garzón via groups.io, <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Paul,
The moon itself has no effect at all on the wave propagation but it is a reflecting surface for the VHF and upper frequencies. It is just an inerte body reflecting the Sun light and not a source of energy able to ionize atmosphere layers or induce similar effects on radiofrecuency comms.

As a reflecting surface it acts as a rock where high frequency waves bounce towards several directions. Ham amateur use it as a reflector to EME QSOs (Earth Moon Earth) involving very high radiated powers and/or huge phased arrays to get maximum dB gain to allow reception echoes on its surface.

Hope it helps.

Nick Hall-Patch

My own automatic response has been no, the moon has no effect, yet Jorge's response that the moon is a reflecting surface now makes me wonder about reflected ionizing radiation from the sun.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-instrument-determines-hazards-of-deep-space-radiation/  points out that the moon's albedo allows partial back scattering of cosmic rays.

This is total bar room speculation, without a beer in my hand, and I'm sure that there has been research somewhere on the topic.   But, Lyman radiation from the sun is the principal ionizer of the absorptive D region, and it doesn't take much of that radiation at dawn to wipe out medium wave reception.  If any reflects from the moon,  might there be some D-region absorption at full moon?

Yes, maybe that beer would be a good idea after all, hi.

best wishes,

Nick

Paul Blundell

Grab me a beer too and we can discuss it :)

I personally think it might have some impact. I wonder if you can pick up MW radio on the moon?

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 1:51 AM Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@...> wrote:
[...]

Andy - Arlington TX

To say the moon has no effect on atmospheric radio propagation is far different than to say it has no practical effect.

Given that the atmosphere experiences tides similar to the oceans' tides, it is reasonable to assume that the altitude and/or density of absorbing/propagating layers of the atmosphere would likely be affected as well, presenting one potential effect on radio propagation.

Again, whether such effects are detectable, let alone observable with typical radio gear using those means of propagation, is a matter of magnitude, not absoluteness.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Robert Conboy

In whatever ways the Moon might influence human behavior, that might affect the amount of manmade noise polluting the spectrum.

On Jun 28, 2021, at 7:53 PM, Andy - Arlington TX <andy.j1s@...> wrote:

To say the moon has no effect on atmospheric radio propagation is far different than to say it has no practical effect.

Given that the atmosphere experiences tides similar to the oceans' tides, it is reasonable to assume that the altitude and/or density of absorbing/propagating layers of the atmosphere would likely be affected as well, presenting one potential effect on radio propagation.

Again, whether such effects are detectable, let alone observable with typical radio gear using those means of propagation, is a matter of magnitude, not absoluteness.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I wonder if anybody has studied this (NASA?) and have a firm answer?

Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 9:53 AM
From: "Andy - Arlington TX" <andy.j1s@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
To say the moon has no effect on atmospheric radio propagation is far different than to say it has no practical effect.

Given that the atmosphere experiences tides similar to the oceans' tides, it is reasonable to assume that the altitude and/or density of absorbing/propagating layers of the atmosphere would likely be affected as well, presenting one potential effect on radio propagation.

Again, whether such effects are detectable, let alone observable with typical radio gear using those means of propagation, is a matter of magnitude, not absoluteness.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Jorge Garzón

According to the knowledge we have, the answer to Paul B. question is again, no. One thing are radio waves and the other cosmic radiation. The effect on the first ones, if any, comes for the reflecting surface as the Moon bounces or block the waves... "The Moon acts as a physical shield that isolates a far-side lunar-surface telescope from radio interference from sources on the Earth's surface, the ionosphere" (from one of the NASA links sent).

The quantity of reflected cosmic radiation and radio waves reflected by the Moon must be less than minimal, that's why radiotelescopes and arrays point to deep space and cosmic objects. In case the Moon had a large ammount of reflecting radio waves towards the Earth, we would have some radiotelescopes pointing to the Moon trying to get distant pulses.

And finally the ionosphere would block and/or absort the weak reflected radiation, so our receivers would get anything.

Moon and Earth interacts as solid objects and keep an slightly unstable balance. One of the effects are tides, as said before. But the gravitational effects on the radio waves must be so little in this 'inner' system that can be put apart. Gravitational effects on the waves is real, and can even change wave paths, but their deviation are linked to massive gravitational effects, such those discovered besides black holes and other 'theoretical' (not sure about this word) theories.
73!

Marc Coevoet

Op 29/06/2021 om 09:17 schreef Jorge Garzón via groups.io:
According to the knowledge we have, the answer to Paul B. question is again, no.

Full moon gives a noisy womens radio ... next to you ...

Marc

For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

Johnny

Do werewolves play a roll here?  JK!