WFNI 1070 Indianapolis (ex WIBC) going off 8/2

Dave Hascall

If you are on the other MW lists and Facebook groups you probably already know but WFNI 1070, a 50 Kw/ 10 Kw station (formerly known as WIBC) is apparently set to stop transmitting on 2 August at midnight Eastern, 0400 UTC.  Per Emmis broadcasting, they are trying to sell the license. They said it might stay on seamlessly but doubt it.  There will probably be a dark or silent period.  Since it is a more prime clear channel it might be saleable.  We'll see but plan for it going off.

For me in Central Indiana, it was impenetrable during the day but pre sunrise and post sunset, others came in with SC and Sarnia often there.  I've heard KNX once when WIBC was off due to a traffic accident that knocked power off to the station.

73
Dave in Indy

John

I used to hear both KNX and "the other station"  at night when I lived in New Mexico (and was listening to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater at night on KNX).  KNX almost always won the contest.  I was in the Central Coast area of Calif earlier this week and KNX is still a very strong presence on 1070.

John K5MO  (Now in NC)

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 1:34 PM Dave Hascall <dhinfomedia@...> wrote:
If you are on the other MW lists and Facebook groups you probably already know but WFNI 1070, a 50 Kw/ 10 Kw station (formerly known as WIBC) is apparently set to stop transmitting on 2 August at midnight Eastern, 0400 UTC.  Per Emmis broadcasting, they are trying to sell the license. They said it might stay on seamlessly but doubt it.  There will probably be a dark or silent period.  Since it is a more prime clear channel it might be saleable.  We'll see but plan for it going off.

For me in Central Indiana, it was impenetrable during the day but pre sunrise and post sunset, others came in with SC and Sarnia often there.  I've heard KNX once when WIBC was off due to a traffic accident that knocked power off to the station.

73
Dave in Indy

Dave Hascall

I don't doubt that KFI is underneath WFNI at least a few times a year but DXers in Illinois hear them a time or two a year.  I did manage them once but my odds are increasing for a relog and maybe a new ULR logbook.

kevin asato

KFI is at 640KHz in Los Angeles. 1070KHz is KNX with transmitter in Torrance, CA (Los Angeles County).
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 9:15 PM Dave Hascall <dhinfomedia@...> wrote:
I don't doubt that KFI is underneath WFNI at least a few times a year but DXers in Illinois hear them a time or two a year.  I did manage them once but my odds are increasing for a relog and maybe a new ULR logbook.

Mark Roberts

In the middle of the U.S., 1070 is a very messy frequency at night. KHMO Hannibal, MO; WDIA Memphis, TN (a legendary station); KFTI (formerly KFDI) Wichita, KS; KNTH Houston, TX all have nighttime directional signals with sharp nulls. As with so many other nighttime Houston DAs, KNTH sends most of its signal out over the Gulf of Mexico.

When I lived in Houston, I could always hear a little bit of KNX underneath KRBE (what's now KNTH) at night.

At my present location in the San Francisco Bay Area, KNX comes in well most nights, of course. I recently took a short vacation near Sonora, California, and KNX was a steady presence there every night.