Vendor of FSLs?

John Bishop

Been surfing on the net looking for a manufacturer or vendor of FSL. So far have not found one. Even more probable is not using the correct search argument. Is there a place out there where an FSL can be purchased?

The help will be much appreciated ... John

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

Nope. Only Gary makes them and they aren’t for sale

Paul

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM <hokeywolfe@...> wrote:

Been surfing on the net looking for a manufacturer or vendor of FSL. So far have not found one. Even more probable is not using the correct search argument. Is there a place out there where an FSL can be purchased?

The help will be much appreciated ... John

Paul Blundell

Nope, Gary does offer the plans for some online.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022, 3:12 pm , <hokeywolfe@...> wrote:

Been surfing on the net looking for a manufacturer or vendor of FSL. So far have not found one. Even more probable is not using the correct search argument. Is there a place out there where an FSL can be purchased?

The help will be much appreciated ... John

Dirk

Here e.g. the "Paul Walker Variant 5":
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDOETx4qcI
DIY

Gary DeBock

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 01:24 PM, Dirk wrote:
Here e.g. the "Paul Walker Variant 5":
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDOETx4qcI
DIY
Design photo attached. Sorry, none are for sale.

Gary

Dirk

Gary,
is there a kind of "complete list" and description of the FSL antennas you and Paul have built?
Lets say a kind of FSL homepage ...?

Nick Hall-Patch

at the risk of being a repetitive bore, there are many construction articles for FSLs at the IRCA Reprints:
https://www.ircaonline.org/editor_upload/File/reprints/irca-reprint-index.pdf

Not all of them are by Gary, although his production of articles (and FSLs and DXpeditions) has been truly amazing.

best wishes,

Nick

Phil Pasteur

I guess you don't understand that these FSL antenna were never a commercially produced item. Meaning there was never a commercial type web page for it as a product. Gary produced several construction articles for them and posted links to them both here and back on the Yahoo group. There has been lots of discussion about them over the years. I don't know how much of the Yahoo groups content was moved here, but searching the forum may find you something. Check the files section here and in the companion group as well.
So, some hobbyists built them and Gary built a few for people. He built a model for Paul. Which I guess somehow got his name attached to it. I don't know that Paul ever built any of the antennas though.
Check out the IRCA link that Nick posted. You can also do a search for "Gary DeBock FSL" and find lots of information that way.  Sorry, no "one stop shop" for info.
If Gary is no longer building the FSL for people, the only way to get one is to build it. If you can find any of the construction articles it is a pretty easy project to build.
BTW, doing the above search, with a very quick look, I found some for sale.  Not sure that they are still available, but that is another avenue to pursue if you want one.
Good luck. AND, People around here are typically more friendly than they came off in this thread...

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

I never built or had any say or input on how the FSLs were built, i came along way after they were built.  I was graciously gifted an FSL because of my extremely unique location and circumstances surrounding my needs for DXing

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 10:17 AM Phil Pasteur via groups.io <ppasteur=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Peter Laws

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 1:18 PM Paul B. Walker, Jr.
<walkerbroadcasting@...> wrote:

I never built or had any say or input on how the FSLs were built, i came along way after they were built. I was graciously gifted an FSL because of my extremely unique location and circumstances surrounding my needs for DXing

I heard that the version Mr DeBock built for Extreme Alaska Service is
known to attract moose. *Female* moose. Is this true?

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

LOL its possible!

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 01:23 AM, Dirk wrote:
Gary,
is there a kind of "complete list" and description of the FSL antennas you and Paul have built?
Lets say a kind of FSL homepage ...?
Hi again Dirk (and Nick, Paul, Peter and Phil),

The short answer to your question is "no," but you can find a lot of FSL information in the Ultralightdx files and in the IRCA articles, as Nick suggests. Because of their relatively high construction cost FSL antennas have always been a specialty item, with almost all of the models built by DXers for their own use, or for their friends' use. The cost of multiple ferrite rods, high sensitivity Litz wire and high quality variable caps has never been cheap, and although the performance of the antennas is pretty astonishing the supply and demand situation has always been completely out of whack.

Because of Paul's amazing DX-ploits in Alaska the FSL antenna demand has become even more extreme, and although I've personally given out more than a dozen of them the current scarcity of FSL's is like a "perfect storm" of huge demand and no supply. I currently don't have the free time to build them for sale, so the best option is to post detailed design photos of the latest models, along with occasional construction articles with more detail. For those who don't have the skill or interest to build the FSL antennas themselves maybe a technically qualified friend can do the job. Another related matter is the convoluted supply chain of certain components, but once you have them in hand you should be good to go. I have posted design photos of four recent FSL models with this message, including Paul's high-performing 5 inch "Paul Walker Variant" model. For the Russian surplus ferrite rods I would recommend that you track them down quickly, since the current eBay supply is almost all from the Ukraine, which has a very uncertain security situation at the moment.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Dirk

Thank you very much!

Zacharias Liangas

Hello Gary
have you  even compared your antenna with the AN 200  in terms of signal enhancement?
older times I also used my basketena https://sites.google.com/site/zliangas/mw-basket-antenna  which added around 15 more db than the commercial loop and thinking later as far as i can have interest to extend that to the LW band by tripling the wire length

Jim

Hello Gary (and group),

I've been interested in BCB dxing since my youth (in the '70's)

I mostly use a Quantum Loop V2.0+ purchased new (along with his phaser unit) before Gerry went SK, connected to either my 2010 or IC-R8600.

I've been interested in building an FSL, but I've always been blocked when it comes to sourcing the ferrite rods. I've seen very little concrete info on where to obtain except some vague references to eB from some Russian guy.... Are there docs that address where/how to source?

Thanks,
Jim

Gary DeBock

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 12:00 AM, Zacharias Liangas wrote:
Hello Gary
have you  even compared your antenna with the AN 200  in terms of signal enhancement?
older times I also used my basketena https://sites.google.com/site/zliangas/mw-basket-antenna  which added around 15 more db than the commercial loop and thinking later as far as i can have interest to extend that to the LW band by tripling the wire length
Hello Zacharias,

I don't have a Tecsun AN-200, but I do have a Terk Advantage loop, which is considered by most DXers to be superior to the AN-200. All of the Baby FSL models here outperform the Terk Advantage when chasing weak DX stations, primarily because of lower noise in the signal-to-noise ratio.

Any DXer with even basic homebrewing skills can build an air core loop which will run circles around the AN-200. Before FSL's were introduced (by the U.K.'s Graham Maynard in 2011) I concentrated on these type of loops, and published a major article on how to build them (from 18 inches side length up to 9.1 foot side length).
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/28nwynjluvrtr00nwzkr27x4ek9ha7w5

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 05:26 PM, James Buttons wrote:
I've been interested in building an FSL, but I've always been blocked when it comes to sourcing the ferrite rods. I've seen very little concrete info on where to obtain except some vague references to eB from some Russian guy.... Are there docs that address where/how to source?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

Since FSL antennas require so many ferrite rods there has always been a demand for inexpensive rods, since the cost of the American-made material is considered too expensive by most DXers. The Russian surplus ferrite rods have usually been the preferred source, which are sold on eBay by sellers in the Ukraine.

Unfortunately the current political tensions are making this source seem uncertain for the future. Even before the current political problems the primary Ukrainian seller raised his prices about 10 times, and cut the quantity of rods that he offers. Multiple Chinese vendors are on eBay, but the quality of their material is uncertain.

If you wish to order from the Ukraine and take your chances, a typical listing is linked below
6 pcs Ferrite Rod NiZn 8 x 125mm for Amateur and Crystal Radio Coils, AM SW USSR | eBay

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

John Bishop

Gary ...

Thank you for responding to Zacharias and leaving the link to your article ... much appreciated.

... John

On 2/17/2022 9:36 PM, Gary DeBock via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Issac Quincey

It sounds like the total cost of them is increasing to such a point that most people won't be able to afford the parts, even if they have the time and skills to build one.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

[...]

DX Central - Loyd Van Horn (W4LVH)

I just rolled the dice tonight and put in an order for enough ferrite to put together a 7" FSL from Gary's link.  I will be sure to total up all of the costs and report for anyone thinking of following suit.  I will probably work up a construction video if everything works out for those to get here from Ukraine.  Let's hope Vlad is just PUTIN us on.....

73 and best of DX!

Loyd Van Horn
W4LVH - Mandeville, LA
Member:  IRCA/NRC Courtesy Program Committee (CPC)
Founder: DX Central - Because we're all about radio
Twitter:  @DXCentral