Trans Tasman Logging - 11/02/2021

Paul Blundell

Last night around 23:00 while undertaking my "DX2021" radio challenge, I was attempting to log 2EA from Wollongong on 1035kHz. As I was listening to this I noticed the signal was not great and after rotating my AR-1733 and 3" FSL, I was able to confirm it was not 2EA I was hearing.

1035kHz - NewsTalk ZB Wellington. (Confirmed by callsign and .co.nz domain name on air.) discussion regarding the PM and the Covid-19 job payments.

At the time we had a rain storm passing by and the signal levels were good. I also checked some other frequencies for New Zealand stations including 1386kHz which is not used in Australia. This and the other checked frequencies didn't show any traces of other stations. As the storm passed the signal levels dropped and 20 minutes later, the signal had gone.

Gary DeBock

Nice logging, Paul!

Your peak time for tracking down Kiwi signals should be around your local sunset, especially if you can manage to try this on an eastern Tasmanian ocean beach. You'll probably find quite a few New Zealand signals hitting S9 peaks at those locations, and possibly 558-Fiji (now that 7BU has bailed). 1017-Tonga might also win the horse race with Sydney's 2KY.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Thanks Gary, it was a bit of a shock to hear this station at such a strong signal level.

I am working on a list of the most likely NZ stations to target. I did have a few nights planned away next month on the east coast but this has been pushed out until the middle of the year.

Paul

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:37 AM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Nice logging, Paul!

Your peak time for tracking down Kiwi signals should be around your local sunset, especially if you can manage to try this on an eastern Tasmanian ocean beach. You'll probably find quite a few New Zealand signals hitting S9 peaks at those locations, and possibly 558-Fiji (now that 7BU has bailed). 1017-Tonga might also win the horse race with Sydney's 2KY.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Just as an update to this, on Saturday night around 11:45pm, I was able to log and confirm this station again, this time it was "bare foot" on my AR-1733 receiver.
The signal was weak and barely heard above the noise but around 11:48pm, it had an opening for around 30 seconds which provided both an on-air ID and also a .co.nz url, during this time the signal was maxing out the signal meter but then fell back into the noise.

Paul

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 2:05 PM Paul Blundell via groups.io <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Gary, it was a bit of a shock to hear this station at such a strong signal level.

I am working on a list of the most likely NZ stations to target. I did have a few nights planned away next month on the east coast but this has been pushed out until the middle of the year.

Paul

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:37 AM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Nice logging, Paul!

Your peak time for tracking down Kiwi signals should be around your local sunset, especially if you can manage to try this on an eastern Tasmanian ocean beach. You'll probably find quite a few New Zealand signals hitting S9 peaks at those locations, and possibly 558-Fiji (now that 7BU has bailed). 1017-Tonga might also win the horse race with Sydney's 2KY.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Last night I was having a listen on my Teac PR130 and was able to confirm this again. The Teac PR130 is a good performer but I am still a little shocked by how well it has worked.

Another update:

Last night, just after midnight I heard this station the best I ever have. It was booming in and even barefoot, my AR1733 made this sound like a local station.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 13:36 Paul Blundell via groups.io, <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

vk2gel

Well done Paul.

Recently I drove from Eden NSW to Moruya NSW and accidentally happened upon these 2 masts beside the road. According to ACMA this site is 2EC 765 kHz at Kalaru, serving Bega.

ACMA also lists 2EC has having a Tx on 1584 kHz at Narooma, just up the coast, but I couldn't find any antennas there upon inspection.

The music was great so please let me know if you can copy either of them.

Regards, Grant vk2gel.

Chris Rogers

Re 2EC 765. It is no more it has transitioned to FM and is no longer on 765 khz.

Paul Blundell

Thanks for that. I have a local station on 1584kHz so don't hear much on that.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021, 18:35 vk2gel, <b748@...> wrote:
Well done Paul.

Recently I drove from Eden NSW to Moruya NSW and accidentally happened upon these 2 masts beside the road. According to ACMA this site is 2EC 765 kHz at Kalaru, serving Bega.

ACMA also lists 2EC has having a Tx on 1584 kHz at Narooma, just up the coast, but I couldn't find any antennas there upon inspection.

The music was great so please let me know if you can copy either of them.

Regards, Grant vk2gel.

Paul Blundell

Hi. I have been checking this frequency the last two nights, I have confirmed 5CC tonight.

Paul

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021, 20:25 Chris Rogers, <crvee8@...> wrote:
Re 2EC 765. It is no more it has transitioned to FM and is no longer on 765 khz.

Paul Blundell

For the last week or so, this station has been down in signal level with only some faint traces being heard. Last night around 23:00, the signal jumped up for a couple of minutes before dropping back down. I will be keeping a closer ear out for this and see how the signal changes.

Paul