Topics

The RADIOWOW R-108 is in the Amazon Prime-Day deals for $41.57

Neil Goldstein

mediumwavedx

I saw this yesterday and ordered one. Great price. This to replace my ailing PL-380 whose buttons don’t make contact anymore.

Bill

Gary Sargent

Edited

I did order an R-108 on the Amazon Prime day price. I just received it this morning and I'm beginning to evaluate it. I noticed an earlier message thread on the warranty offered by 'RadioWow' on the radio as being essentially worthless. NO real surprise there on any low to moderate priced items from China as being essentially throwaway items.

Due to the covid situation, Amazon has extended the return time frame for purchases until 1/31/21. So I have basically a 90 day plus warranty time period on the radio!

My 30 minute impression of the R-108. Speaker output sounds very good for a tiny radio. Good volume. FM sensitivity seems typical for DSP radios these days. AM reception here (daytime) also seems typical. The radio looks to be solidly constructed. Looks to be a keeper so far.

Update:
  • I did a middle of night casual comparison of the R-108 with my CountyComm GP5 (aka PL365) on 6 or 8 weak AM BCB signals. The R108 was more listenable in all cases. The sensitivity seems a little better on the R108 and the audio was definitely more listenable compared to the GP5. I suspect this is due to the superior speaker and better audio processing so far as suppressing the hissy noise that was more prominent on the GP5.
  • My 'ATS' AM BCB scan found 70 stations. Perhaps 10 or 12 were not listenable and I easily deleted a few. A deleted memory essentially leaves an empty channel in the middle of the full memories. I would prefer that the R108 would automatically 'squash' the memory channel's to eliminate the empty memories or just sorted the memories by the frequency. (People who maintain a memory reference sheet would not want this!)
  • The tuning knob as two selectable speeds. The actual control takes a little force to rotate from one detent to the next.. Not really stiff but far from being able to 'spin the tuning dial'
  • The supplied user manual looks to be complete and well written.
  • As of today, 10/18/20, there is a $10 off coupon on the R108 on Amazon .. making the price to be $41.97 .. which is just pennies more that the Prime day price.
KE8WO

Paul Blundell

Sounds promising.

Paul

On Sun., 18 Oct. 2020, 02:14 Gary Sargent, <GarySargent@...> wrote:
I did order an R-108 on the Amazon Prime day price. I just received it this morning and I'm beginning to evaluate it. I noticed an earlier message thread on the warranty offered by 'RadioWow' on the radio as being essentially worthless. NO real surprise there on any low to moderate priced items from China as being essentially throwaway items.

Due to the covid situation, Amazon has extended the return time frame for purchases until 1/31/21. So I have basically a 90 day plus warranty time period on the radio!

My 30 minute impression of the R-108. Speaker output sounds very good for a tiny radio. Good volume. FM sensitivity seems typical for DSP radios these days. AM reception here (daytime) also seems typical. The radio looks to be solidly constructed. Looks to be a keeper so far.

KE8WO

mediumwavedx

I got mine two days ago. I'm extremely happy with it.

The build quality is very good. Excellent sensitivity on medium wave. Shortwave is good too. I'm also enjoying the air band. Buttons work well and are not as stiff as the PL-380. I'm hoping they will hold up as the radio ages. It has a beautifully-lit display which is very easy to read.

It does everything the C. Crane Skywave does plus more and was about half the price at $41. The R-108 has the ability to display the RSSI signal strength and SNR signal-to-noise ratio too, which the Skywave does not. For a DXer and one who like measurements, this is essential to me.

Bill