Topics

Testing of radios with FSL aerials

Paul Blundell

Hi all.

One of the major advantages of FSL aerials is that they be easily tested with various radios. What I would like to do is start to put together a list of various radios models and how well they handle / preform when used with a FSL. My idea being to look at a cost v benefit v performance graph of the various models.
Paul
https://ultralightradiodxingtasmania.blogspot.com/
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Dennis Breda

Paul,  Thanks for sending these communications.  I look forward to receiving them.  Dennis B

On Sep 5, 2019, at 12:30 AM, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Hi all.

One of the major advantages of FSL aerials is that they be easily tested with various radios. What I would like to do is start to put together a list of various radios models and how well they handle / preform when used with a FSL. My idea being to look at a cost v benefit v performance graph of the various models.
Paul
https://ultralightradiodxingtasmania.blogspot.com/
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Dean wayman

Hi :
Well i only have 2 radio's to tell you about so far (well i have several but just the 2 i have been testing with ).
Tecsun PL 600 ,this set has been my constant companion for FSL antennas and  round the house listening, It works very well with my 3 FSL"s and ok for general listening etc. A rather older model but has given good service since i got it. BTW i had a PL 880 ,but wasn't impressed with it so i returned it.

Sangean ATS 909X ,this set has the mods done by Radio Labs ,Detent removed from the tuning wheel and a couple other things i don't recall what though,Oddly enough it works ok While using a FSL but doesn't seem to give the volume increase like the Tecsun does when you get to the peak on the FSL ? I can only think that the sound mods done on it have changed the AGC, or signal processing  or something ? In the upper part of MW ,Above about 1550 khz the FSL doesn't seem to give much boost but it does help with the signals , I also don't like the signal meter very much it seems to react slowly to boosting ,if it does react ? Almost like the tuning meter isn't as sensitive as my other radio's?

I guess if you need more info ask away ?
Thanks
Dean_0