Tecsun PL-368 Manual / Enhanced Convenient Tuning (ETM+)

Paul Blundell

Does anybody have a link to download the user guide for this radio? I am looking at expanding my collection and this is the top of my list. I am very keen to find out more about the Enhanced Convenient Tuning (ETM+) mode and how this works?

Paul

hamrad45

I just received mine and asked the company if one exist.  The answer is no.  I plan to do a review on my Youtube channel (hamrad88) very soon.

Tom Stiles

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io [mailto:main@UltralightDX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Blundell
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 10:27 PM
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: [UltralightDX] Tecsun PL-368 Manual / Enhanced Convenient Tuning (ETM+)

Does anybody have a link to download the user guide for this radio? I am looking at expanding my collection and this is the top of my list. I am very keen to find out more about the Enhanced Convenient Tuning (ETM+) mode and how this works?

Paul

Paul Blundell

Thanks Tom. I am most interested in the ETM+ feature and how this works.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, 19:49 hamrad45, <hamrad@...> wrote:

I just received mine and asked the company if one exist.  The answer is no.  I plan to do a review on my Youtube channel (hamrad88) very soon.

Tom Stiles

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io [mailto:main@UltralightDX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Blundell
Subject: [UltralightDX] Tecsun PL-368 Manual / Enhanced Convenient Tuning (ETM+)

Paul

hamrad45

OK. I will be sure to include some testing of that feature in my show.

Tom Stiles

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:53 AM
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Tecsun PL-368 Manual / Enhanced Convenient Tuning (ETM+)

Thanks Tom. I am most interested in the ETM+ feature and how this works.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, 19:49 hamrad45, <hamrad@...> wrote:

Tom Stiles

Paul

radiojayallen

Paul,

I scanned the two pages of the PL-368 manual which explain the ETM function and have attached them here. It is the same as the PL-330 ETM and I have attached that entire manual for other details, many of which are the same. Recent Tecsuns share many similarities so this should give you the info you want.

I just got my PL-368 and will write it up fully after a few weeks of testing and comparisons.

Let me know if I can provide any more info...my review is in progress.

Jay

hamrad45

You are fast, Jay.  I had just scanned the page too but you beat me to the upload.  Good job.  Looking forward to your review.

Tom Stiles

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io [mailto:main@UltralightDX.groups.io] On Behalf Of radiojayallen
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Tecsun PL-368 Manual / Enhanced Convenient Tuning (ETM+)

Paul,

I scanned the two pages of the PL-368 manual which explain the ETM function and have attached them here. It is the same as the PL-330 ETM and I have attached that entire manual for other details, many of which are the same. Recent Tecsuns share many similarities so this should give you the info you want.

I just got my PL-368 and will write it up fully after a few weeks of testing and comparisons.

Jay

hamrad45

Wow, your scans are much better than mine. Would you scan pages 1-5 showing the keys and display?  Thanks

Tom Stiles

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io [mailto:main@UltralightDX.groups.io] On Behalf Of radiojayallen
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:55 AM

Paul,

Jay

DX Pedro

Yup, Tecsun Aussie is the place to get those first hand. #protip
have a great week, ya'll.

// pedro andrade

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 2:55 PM radiojayallen <radiojayallen@gmail.com> wrote:

Paul,

Jay

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the scans.

That feature does not work how I was expecting but does sound very interesting anyway, I am tossing up which way to go, a PL-368, PL-330 or something else. I am not in a rush so I will wait for your review :)

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 11:55 PM radiojayallen <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
Paul,

Jay

--
Paul

Paul Blundell

Thanks.

365 = $100
330 = $145

I also like the look / sound of the S2000 but that is not an ultralight ;)  I am looking at getting a radio desk at home, so that could take a spot on that...

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 1:18 AM DX Pedro <pmm.andrade@...> wrote:
Yup, Tecsun Aussie is the place to get those first hand. #protip
have a great week, ya'll.

// pedro andrade

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 2:55 PM radiojayallen <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
>
> Paul,
>
> I scanned the two pages of the PL-368 manual which explain the ETM function and have attached them here. It is the same as the PL-330 ETM and I have attached that entire manual for other details, many of which are the same. Recent Tecsuns share many similarities so this should give you the info you want.
>
> I just got my PL-368 and will write it up fully after a few weeks of testing and comparisons.
>
> Let me know if I can provide any more info...my review is in progress.
>
> Jay
>

--
Paul

radiojayallen

I'm away most of today but will try to get to it as son as I can.

Gavin

Hi Paul
I have to say on the PL-330 that the "soft mute" is annoying the heck out of me. Its even present on reasonably strong signals and no way of disabling it. I have a PL-380 and it disables if scanned down freq then retuned but that doesn't work on the PL-330. What kind of works is to off tune the frequency but sometimes needs 2Khz on a strong signal. The SYNC is not very stable so that doesn't help much. I've resorted to using zero beat SSB but thats not great on MW. 
Apart from that its a fine radio but its not getting much use around here!
Cheers, Gav

radiojayallen

OK. Not the sharpest copies but readable. I have scanned the complete PL-368 Manual and it is attached...best we can do until a real electronic version comes out.

Jay

hamrad45

Thanks

Tom Stiles

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 11:09 AM

OK. Not the sharpest copies but readable. I have scanned the complete PL-368 Manual and it is attached...best we can do until a real electronic version comes out.

Jay

Paul Blundell

Thank you, I will have a good read of it.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021, 01:11 radiojayallen, <radiojayallen@...> wrote:

Jay

Robert Conboy

What I find very annoying about the PL-330 is somewhere in the gain algorithm. Not sure if it’s the same thing you’re reporting as annoying soft-mute. There seems to be discreet steps of gain/attenuation without hysteresis, so the loudness often flutters rapidly at some medium to low signal levels, even if the signal strength is relatively steady.

If the DSP is lowering the audio gain when signal strength or SNR is below a threshold, then it’s soft-mute. But if the DSP is raising the IF gain (or its equivalent in software) when signal strength is below a threshold then it’s AGC.

Either will create the same rapid fluttering change in volume if gain/attenuation is in discreet steps and there is no hysteresis, because noise, being random, is constantly crossing above and below the threshold. If the time constant is around 1/10 of a second then the flutter rate may be in same neighborhood.

I think its a bug or something overlooked by their engineers and QC.

Rob