Spain on MW, a few remarks.

patrice.privat

Hi

We all, from time to time, dream of Spain giving up on MW, for the countless DX opportunities it would open for European DXers.
And this could happen quicker than we think, especially when the next global Financial Bubble will burst, in the wake of Covid.

But !
But have we in mind the fantastic hunting ground that Spain provides for Ultralight hunters ?
Ever since I bought my Tecsun, I logged 97 Spanish stations, some of them are now dead, especially in the Pais Vasco
(for instance Euzkadi Irratia 1386 khz).

Much to my surprise, I checked today with MWLIST.ORG what is still to be Identified (both RNE and private networks)
and I ended up with 82 stations, that I still haven't heard.

So, let's hope Spain stays on the scene, and I can get new ones galore.

Patrice
Beauvais
France.

Paul Blundell

That is a good point. While it would make your DXing easier, it would also remove another target area / country for other DX'ers.

If Australia (where I am) stopped all MW radio, it would help me to track down other countries but it would also stop others hearing it. Two sides of the same coin.

Paul

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 08:15 AM, patrice.privat wrote:
[...]

Thanks Patrice,

Not only European DXers but also DXers on the other side of the world try for these Spanish MW stations.

During the November 2019 Poipu, Hawaii DXpedition every continent of the world except Europe was received on MW with a CC Skywave Ultralight and a 5 inch (12cm) FSL antenna. Almost all of the old European big guns (756-DLF, 1134-Croatia, 1377-France Info etc.) have gone QRT, making Europe a pretty tough challenge to receive in Hawaii and the Pacific Islands. Even 864-ERTU was received in Hawaii, but we drew a blank with Europe.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Photo is Australian Chris Rogers (seated) and me (standing) on the Poipu beach

Jorge Garzón

Hi Patrice and Gary,
The Spanish MW panorama is a recurring issue in MW Dxing forums from time to time. I reckon that a MW network cannot be seen just as a DXing pest avoiding to catch far away stations, but this is another vision not to be dealed here now. 😉

Working all Spanish provinces on MW is a real challenge for the serious DXer. That's the reason why implemented the Challenge "IBERIA en OM" award at the IberiaDX group. The challenge includes the Spanish provinces, Portuguese districts, and the radiocountries involved with both countries as Ceuta, Melilla, the Canaries, Azores and Madeira, plus Gibraltar and Andorra. Rules and examples of how to record IDs can be checked at https://iberiadx.wordpress.com/el-reto-iberia-en-om/ Written in Spanish, I will translate it into English later today (try Google translator in the meantime).

I did not know that Gary and folks never got Spanish MW signals when they were at DXPs and that shows it is still a real challenge. I am writing a full article on how to DX Spanish stations giving tips and clues to get the elusive stations. I will also provide a detailed chart with local and regional slots including local advertisements, very useful for a rewarding DX chasing. A similar chart as the image that I am adding here (CEST time showed).

¡

Saludos y buen DX!

patrice.privat

Muchas Gracias por tu ayuda, Jorge.

DX will still be easier in the evening for a few weeks to come, but soon the morning local slots will be in the dark too and we'll have two harvests per day.
I had a new one this morning but not Ultralight (a RTL SDR dongle and an indoor Wellbrook loop ). SER Oviedo was still good at 0725 local
with mentions of Verdi's Nabucco being performed at Oviedo Opera if I understood correctly.
Frequency was 1026.
I have withdrawn from my historical log the 10 dead stations (list follows).
So I'm now at 87 stations logged (95% in Ultralight) which leaves me 86 more to catch, as my own study shows a total of 173 stations audible in 2021.
Silent stations on MW

1602 Radio Euzkadi,Vitoria, E, Spanish
1485 Punto Radio, Villanova i Geltru E, Spanish
1476 Euzkadi Irratia,San Sebastian,E,Basque
1386 Euzkadi Irratia,Bilbao,E,Basque
1269 COPE Girona ,E,Spanish
1197 Euzkadi Irratia,Vitoria,E,Basque
963         Radio Euzkadi,San Sebastian,E,Spanish
882         COM Radio, Barcelona, E, Catalan
819         Radio Euzkadi San Sebastian,E,Spanish
756         Radio Euzkadi,Bilbao,E,Spanish