Sony SRF-S84-- Tiniest of the CXA1129N Analog Family

Gary DeBock

Hello Guys,

     If you like the SRF-59 and SRF-39FP analog Ultralights because of their size/performance ratio, you will certainly love the smaller (and less common) SRF-S84.

     At 3" x 1.4" and weighing all of 1.7 ounces, the smallest current member of the CXA1129N-based Sony models packs a lot of performance in an extremely small package.  With a 1.19" x .25" midget loopstick and extensive FM stereo features, one might easily get the impression that this model is useless for AM-DXing.  But like almost all of its SRF-59 siblings, it is typically not aligned to full sensitivity at the factory, and gains significant DX performance when its loopstick coil and high-band trimmer are peaked by a caring technician.

     After alignment of my Summertime Shootout model, it can provide some surprising daytime DX receptions, although its tiny analog tuning dial is not going to impress very many hobbyists.

     This silver-colored overachiever can be purchased on eBay for around $31.45 plus $5 shipping from various Hong Kong exporters (hkequipment and ecbuy_shop), which is certainly smarter than going through Amazon.com ($99.00 plus shipping via Wall Street Photo).  Like all CXA1129N analog units, free AM alignment will be provided here if you can ship it prepaid to P.O. Box 1313, Puyallup, WA 98371, with $5 return postage.

                        73,  Gary DeBock

Hello Stephan,

     I was able to "export" a 530-1710 kHz SRF-59 and SRF-39FP (while it was still available) to Paul in Northern Ireland, and would be willing to help other European Ultralight enthusiasts if necessary.  I don't know if your SRF-S84N model is comparable to my SRF-S84 unit from Hong Kong, but it will be fully reviewed in the Summertime Shootout, as well as the SRF-M97V, DT-400W, E100, and SRF-M37W units.

                                                                                73,  Gary DeBock  (N7EKX)

Stephan Grossklass

Sadly, CXA1129 based radios are near unobtainium over here.
One can get a SRF-S84N (is that the same as the "regular"
one?) for close to 50 EUR, but that's about it.

Re: spam, I haven't had much trouble with unmoderated
groups either. One only has to make sure that there is
some moderation redundancy, which (a) ensures that spam
can be deleted quickly if it does crop up and (b) should
keep a group from ending up without any active moderator
at all, since an abandoned group flooded with spam is
about the most frustrating thing ever (and Yahoo! can do
little more than delete it, which generally is not what
one wants).

Stephan