Software - MWDXerDB

Paul Blundell

MWDxerDB is a custom database program which has been designed and coded using JustBasic. It is based on the "simple database framework" which is included with JustBasic.

This program has been developed by myself over the past few years for the purpose of logging ultralight radio dxing related frequencies and information. 

MWDxerDB is freeware and freely distributable, please note that I can accept no responsibility for how it is used and any issues it might cause on your computer as setups and configurations vary so much. MWDxerDB is self contained in it's own folder and does not write any files outside it's own folder or reg keys, this means it is totally portable and will happily run off a USB key.

As my interest is logging mediumwave frequencies, I have the following fields.
Frequency / Name
Details
Notes

To protect your loggings, the program is password protected. The current password is dxing

A link to the latest public version will be posted to the groups file area.
https://ultralightdx.groups.io/g/main/files/Software%20-%20MWDxerDB/__MWDXerDB_PUBLIC.zip

Jorge Garzón

Thank you Paul! Does it contain Aussie stations only or worldwide? Any tools to sort out any log lists? 

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX" 
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409) 
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
..................................................................................
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En martes, 23 de marzo de 2021 22:57:59 CET, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> escribió:

MWDxerDB is a custom database program which has been designed and coded using JustBasic. It is based on the "simple database framework" which is included with JustBasic.

This program has been developed by myself over the past few years for the purpose of logging ultralight radio dxing related frequencies and information. 

MWDxerDB is freeware and freely distributable, please note that I can accept no responsibility for how it is used and any issues it might cause on your computer as setups and configurations vary so much. MWDxerDB is self contained in it's own folder and does not write any files outside it's own folder or reg keys, this means it is totally portable and will happily run off a USB key.

Frequency / Name
Details
Notes

To protect your loggings, the program is password protected. The current password is dxing

https://ultralightdx.groups.io/g/main/files/Software%20-%20MWDxerDB/__MWDXerDB_PUBLIC.zip

Paul Blundell

Hi Jorge,

At the moment it has 10 stations listed, this is to give an example of what I log, it is designed to allow you to enter your own logs of what stations you hear.
It has three search features which export the search results to a basic test file which means they can be shared online easily.

I am in the process of moving all my logs across to it, this might take a while.

Paul

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 6:43 PM Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you Paul! Does it contain Aussie stations only or worldwide? Any tools to sort out any log lists? 

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX" 
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409) 
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
..................................................................................
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En martes, 23 de marzo de 2021 22:57:59 CET, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> escribió:

Frequency / Name
Details
Notes

--
Paul

Paul Blundell

Update: 29/06/2021
I have recently made a number of changes to MWDxerDB, these include:
- Daily Backups: Each day a full backup of your database is taken and saved in a seperate folder.
- Real Time Backup: A mirror file is created before all database write operations, the changes are applied to this file and then written to the main database file.
- About Screen: This has some basic details on MWDXerDB and my contact details for technical support.
- UI and Colours: A number of minor UI and colour changes have been made.
- Read Only Mode: This remove all the database editing features but still allows searches to be undertaken.
- Reports: I have made some minor changes to the report file format.
- Code Changes: I have made some general code changes and clean up of some old code that was not needed.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L8yKTy6xpjc/YNqxJvz1PTI/AAAAAAAAPlg/82KGJYD4v6k7d9khpqVcFrp0ZVCUq9jYwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1480/MWDxerDB_June2021.JPG

Paul Blundell

Update: 02/08/2021
I have made a number of changes which has included adding the required code to support the new ULDXIndex system and these can be added directly to each entry. I have also made some changes to the backend database code and a few minor changes to the windows and layout.

I have downloaded this and had a look, does it get flagged by your anti-virus program? Mine blocked it until I approved it. What is it coded in?

Sent: Monday, August 02, 2021 at 3:34 PM
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Software - MWDXerDB
I have made a number of changes which has included adding the required code to support the new ULDXIndex system and these can be added directly to each entry. I have also made some changes to the backend database code and a few minor changes to the windows and layout.

Paul Blundell

I have never had any issues with it. I have coded it in JustBasic.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 9:16 AM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
I have downloaded this and had a look, does it get flagged by your anti-virus program? Mine blocked it until I approved it. What is it coded in?

--
Paul

Thank you for the inforation on this. Have you thought about changing to a more professional system like C++?

Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2021 at 10:48 AM
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

--
Paul

Paul Blundell

No plans at this stage. MWDXerDB does what I need and I am comfortable programming in JB.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 2:59 PM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
Thank you for the inforation on this. Have you thought about changing to a more professional system like C++?

Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2021 at 10:48 AM

--
Paul

--
Paul

Paul Blundell

Update: 06/08/2021
I have updated my code to also include the signal level in the formula for working out the ULDXIndex number and added an option to only update this when you want to, before this it would prompt you to update the values every time you edited a record.

So that pops up when you go to edit an entry? Can you edit just this or do you have to edit all the fields?

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2021 at 2:14 PM
I have updated my code to also include the signal level in the formula for working out the ULDXIndex number and added an option to only update this when you want to, before this it would prompt you to update the values every time you edited a record.

Paul Blundell

When you select edit, it asks if you want to update this. You can then edit any of the fields you want.

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021, 16:38 Frank Standford, <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
So that pops up when you go to edit an entry? Can you edit just this or do you have to edit all the fields?

Can you edit multiples at once?

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2021 at 7:49 PM
When you select edit, it asks if you want to update this. You can then edit any of the fields you want.

Paul Blundell

No, each logging / record is separate in the database so you can't edit multiples at once. I did look at adding this in but the database would not work that way.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 9:38 AM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:

--
Paul

What does it use for the database? Is it SQL based? I have some people who might be able to help.

Sent: Monday, August 09, 2021 at 12:00 PM
No, each logging / record is separate in the database so you can't edit multiples at once. I did look at adding this in but the database would not work that way.

--
Paul

Paul Blundell

All custom coded, it does not use SQL Server.

On Mon, 9 Aug 2021, 15:54 Frank Standford, <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
What does it use for the database? Is it SQL based? I have some people who might be able to help.

--
Paul

Harold Cheetham

when I run the program it gives me errors and Basic closes the program

Harold Cheetham

On Monday, August 9, 2021, 08:52:07 AM EDT, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

--
Paul

Paul Blundell

What are the errors? 
If you can send me this file "MWDxerDB.log" it will help me find the issues.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 11:57 PM Harold Cheetham via groups.io <hcheetham=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
when I run the program it gives me errors and Basic closes the program

Harold Cheetham

On Monday, August 9, 2021, 08:52:07 AM EDT, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

--
Paul

--
Paul

I have tried this myself and it works fine.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Frank. Are you using Windows 10?

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021, 13:22 Frank Standford, <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
I have tried this myself and it works fine.