Should this be soldered?

FenDrifter

Hi all
Can any expert in the group confirm that the indicated terminal/post in the below piccie should have been soldered please? This little cheapie (originally Kaide KK9) was/is eating through batteries at a fair old lick, so I took it apart and had a cursory look at things, and this was all I could see, not that that means much 😊. I have no radio repair knowledge at all so please be gentle with me. I was about to solder this but thought I’d ask first. I’m not by the way suggesting this could be the cause of the original problem.

Drifter

Steve Ratzlaff

Looking at the diagram it does not appear that pad goes anywhere; if so then it doesn't matter if it's left unsoldered, and it wouldn't change anything if it were soldered. If the other side of the board, which of course you can't see, has traces and there is a trace going to that pad, then yes, it needs to be soldered. But that's probably unlikely, as probably all the traces are on the side you can see.

73,

Steve

On 1/22/2022 10:21 AM, FenDrifter via groups.io wrote:

Hi all
Can any expert in the group confirm that the indicated terminal/post in the below piccie should have been soldered please? This little cheapie (originally Kaide KK9) was/is eating through batteries at a fair old lick, so I took it apart and had a cursory look at things, and this was all I could see, not that that means much 😊. I have no radio repair knowledge at all so please be gentle with me. I was about to solder this but thought I’d ask first. I’m not by the way suggesting this could be the cause of the original problem.

Drifter

FenDrifter

Very many thanks Steve, that’s much appreciated! This may have to go into the ‘spares’ bin I think, because battery drain is very rapid.

Drifter

radiojayallen

If it drains the batteries when turned off a work around might be to remove the battery between uses I have had a few radios which had an odd defect wherein they did not power down all the circuits which caused this kind of issue although battery drain during use was normal.

Not that this is convenient but it might be interesting to know.

Jay

FenDrifter

Hi Jay
Thank you for that nice little piece of information. I’ll try that immediately and let the group know the outcome.

Drifter