Sangean DT-800 vs Sihuadon R-108 vs CCRadio 2E

Johnny

Hi all,

I have been performing some VERY informal side by side comparisons of these three radios on FM.

I must admit that the DT-800 and the R-108 are both equally excellent at FM reception and better than any of my other UL radios and most of my larger portables.  The only caveat with the DT-800 is that because of the need do use the earphone adapter as the antenna, you have to be able to move the cord around a lot to get the best reception, but it is pretty darn good at receiving!

Both of these radios get 95% of the channels that the CCRadio 2E gets, so for me the only real reason to play around with the CCRadio is if you want to here everything possible, but are okay to abandon the UL concept considerably.

Question to the group:  Could anyone recommend an UL radio that would be better on FM (in your opinion, I would never hold you to anything), than the R-108 or the DT-800?

All of this is just my rookie feedback on my mileage with these three radios, your mileage (kilometerage?) may vary!  ;)

Thanks,

Johnny

Marc Coevoet

Op 23/05/2021 om 01:23 schreef Johnny via groups.io:
Hi all,
Question to the group:  Could anyone recommend an UL radio that would be better on FM (in your opinion, I would never hold you to anything), than the R-108 or the DT-800?
Haha! I ordered this one:
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005002104620621.html

I managed to implement stepping on fm of 0.01 0.05 etc, AND most important, I use the filters 40 60 84 110khz, and ... I use all the options of the silabs chip.
This litlle radio beats the Yamaha T84, with its 4 bandwidths!

I use this library.
https://pu2clr.github.io/SI4735/

fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/532613604253401/

Marc
For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

Phil Pasteur

Edited

This solution looks very interesting from the perspective of an experimenter being able to play with the parameters. Right up my alley, as I love tweaking.
But how good is the radio overall?
Like in many cases where the same chip is used, implementation is important. Not necessarily limited to access to the chip's functionality. How does it sound? Does it use the whip for FM, or the headphone cable?
BTW, I am not familiar with the Yamaha T84. I could not even find anything on it with a google search. So that comparison does not help me.

gary_thorburn

Yes, FM on the Sangean DT-800 is very good. Two comments about the DT-800 AM:
1) Soft Mute on the DT-800 can be completely disabled by a simple menu setting! Very worthwhile.
2) On my unit, in AM, the LCD display makes some hash noise when playing thru the speaker. But I hear none of that when using headphones.

Gary

Michael Schuster

Some YT reviewers have noted the DT-800 to have a relatively high noise floor on AM. Perhaps what you are observing, explains where that comes from in that most YT reviewers do not use headphones for obvious reasons.
Of note the CC Pocket has the same issue but has a front-panel button to turn off the LCD display to eliminate that as a source of RF noise.
Curious why the designer of neither radio couldn;t simply shield things better.

Jerry H. Neves

How do you disable the soft mute on DT800?

Emily Keene

To disable the soft mute, with the power on, push the "Page"button, and while the menu indicator flashes on the display, push the s-mute (#3) button until the desired setting is shown on the display.

Emily Keene, New Jersey

David Smith

Soft mute disabled by button 3

73 David