Returning to the world of ULR DXing, what's on the approved list these days???


Alex
 

Hello all,

I got a question for the collective. I was chasing DX with a old Sony SRF-39 that's giving up the ghost. Problem is the Sony has retired the SRF-59 and -47 joggers radios, and look like they are leaving AM/FM portables before too long.

   I tried to find the old ULR sites for a approved receiver list by the ULR committee, but struck out. Is their a 2020 /21 ULR accepted list???

 

   Thanks,

Alex N8UCN / KOH8IG

 

 

 


Paul Blundell
 

Hi.

Welcome back :)

The list has not been updated in a while, provided it meets the requirements below, it counts 

Less than 20 cubic inches
Less than $100
A radio (not a toy with a radio built in)
Available on the new / used market.

Paul


On Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 14:24 Alex via groups.io, <rifleman336=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello all,

I got a question for the collective. I was chasing DX with a old Sony SRF-39 that's giving up the ghost. Problem is the Sony has retired the SRF-59 and -47 joggers radios, and look like they are leaving AM/FM portables before too long.

   I tried to find the old ULR sites for a approved receiver list by the ULR committee, but struck out. Is their a 2020 /21 ULR accepted list???

 

   Thanks,

Alex N8UCN / KOH8IG

 

 

 


Gary DeBock
 

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Alex wrote:
I tried to find the old ULR sites for a approved receiver list by the ULR committee, but struck out. Is their a 2020 /21 ULR accepted list???
Hi Alex,

Welcome back to the group!

Paul's explanation is accurate-- because of a lack of volunteers the Classifications Committee has been in limbo for years, and the list of officially accepted Ultralight Radios has not been updated. Despite this any Ultralight Radio that was approved in the past is still approved, and during the current situation (in the absence of a Classifications Committee) any pocket radio meeting all of the following criteria will be considered as an approved Ultralight Radio for award purposes:

1) No larger than 20 cubic inches in size
2) Less than $100 in cost (except for the C. Crane Skywave SSB model and the Sony SRF T-615, which have both already been approved)
3) Designed as a consumer-grade radio, and not a toy or other curiosity
4) Must be readily available for new purchase on the open market

Unlike in the original classifications system, SSB capability and/or multiple DSP filter selections do not disqualify a radio for Ultralight Radio qualification. In addition, any radio officially tested in an Ultralight Radio Shootout review automatically gains Ultralight Radio classification, with the exception of the XHDATA D-808 model in the upcoming 2021 Shootout (which is only included for reference purposes, since it clearly exceeds the 20 cubic inch size limit).

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Ultralight Radio Group Co-Founder


Jorge Garzón
 

Hi,
I wanted to propose something that could give us, in my opinion, new ways for the hobby and maybe the group. I finished my 'Ross DX Challenge' with more than 400 stations heard (but 378 identified), >posted here: https://iberiadx.wordpress.com/the-ultralight-dx-challenge-2020/ < but as I used my DEGEN DE1103 which is about 28 squared inches, 'technically' I do not deserve it. I did not have an ULR at the time being, and after that I got a couple of them and I am testing with them. Additionally we have been promoting the ULR DXing and the first FSL anteena is on the way, as you probably know.

Here in Europe we are not as used in North America or in Oz to listen to the radio with small pocket radios and most of the people has small portables but slightly bigger in size than ULRs. 

I told Gary that probably we could stamp on the award the portable model used, so we could repeat the Challenge in the future with another model. Here in Europe we use portable receivers as big as 30 squared inches and in fact the Challenge remain the same, as the limiting factors are the noise, the power stations and of course the propagation. So, trying to promote the hobby... Would have any problem to extend the portable size to 30 sq. inches? Or maybe we may add a new category to allow bigger portables up to 30 sq. inches, for instance?

On the other side I would like to help by translating the new coming 'ULR' list document into Spanish to spread their use and help to promote this outstanding side of DXing.

73 y saludos.

Jorge


Michael.2E0IHW
 

Jorge, según yo, tienes razón en todo lo que dices...

I have been thinking for some time that it might be time for our uldx  clan to  widen its parameters.
A
longside a  uldx-defined tiny receiver,  a   (much larger, heavy, unaffordable-for-many)  FSL 
kinda queries the notion of "ultralight".

The Americas still have many AM broadcasters; in Europe few are left,  and more are closing down.

What think ye, brethren?

Michael UK

On 14/02/2021 18:17, Jorge Garzón via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to propose something that could give us, in my opinion, new ways for the hobby and maybe the group. I finished my 'Ross DX Challenge' with more than 400 stations heard (but 378 identified), >posted here: https://iberiadx.wordpress.com/the-ultralight-dx-challenge-2020/ < but as I used my DEGEN DE1103 which is about 28 squared inches, 'technically' I do not deserve it. I did not have an ULR at the time being, and after that I got a couple of them and I am testing with them. Additionally we have been promoting the ULR DXing and the first FSL anteena is on the way, as you probably know.

Here in Europe we are not as used in North America or in Oz to listen to the radio with small pocket radios and most of the people has small portables but slightly bigger in size than ULRs. 

I told Gary that probably we could stamp on the award the portable model used, so we could repeat the Challenge in the future with another model. Here in Europe we use portable receivers as big as 30 squared inches and in fact the Challenge remain the same, as the limiting factors are the noise, the power stations and of course the propagation. So, trying to promote the hobby... Would have any problem to extend the portable size to 30 sq. inches? Or maybe we may add a new category to allow bigger portables up to 30 sq. inches, for instance?

On the other side I would like to help by translating the new coming 'ULR' list document into Spanish to spread their use and help to promote this outstanding side of DXing.

73 y saludos.

Jorge



Paul Blundell
 

I think we would need to look at the advantages of this and where we would draw the line. 

Gary's work on FSL's has changed the hobby, I don't know if allowing larger radios takes some of the point and purpose of the ultralight part away.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 06:56 Michael.2E0IHW via groups.io, <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jorge, según yo, tienes razón en todo lo que dices...

I have been thinking for some time that it might be time for our uldx  clan to  widen its parameters.
A
longside a  uldx-defined tiny receiver,  a   (much larger, heavy, unaffordable-for-many)  FSL 
kinda queries the notion of "ultralight".

The Americas still have many AM broadcasters; in Europe few are left,  and more are closing down.

What think ye, brethren?

Michael UK

On 14/02/2021 18:17, Jorge Garzón via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to propose something that could give us, in my opinion, new ways for the hobby and maybe the group. I finished my 'Ross DX Challenge' with more than 400 stations heard (but 378 identified), >posted here: https://iberiadx.wordpress.com/the-ultralight-dx-challenge-2020/ < but as I used my DEGEN DE1103 which is about 28 squared inches, 'technically' I do not deserve it. I did not have an ULR at the time being, and after that I got a couple of them and I am testing with them. Additionally we have been promoting the ULR DXing and the first FSL anteena is on the way, as you probably know.

Here in Europe we are not as used in North America or in Oz to listen to the radio with small pocket radios and most of the people has small portables but slightly bigger in size than ULRs. 

I told Gary that probably we could stamp on the award the portable model used, so we could repeat the Challenge in the future with another model. Here in Europe we use portable receivers as big as 30 squared inches and in fact the Challenge remain the same, as the limiting factors are the noise, the power stations and of course the propagation. So, trying to promote the hobby... Would have any problem to extend the portable size to 30 sq. inches? Or maybe we may add a new category to allow bigger portables up to 30 sq. inches, for instance?

On the other side I would like to help by translating the new coming 'ULR' list document into Spanish to spread their use and help to promote this outstanding side of DXing.

73 y saludos.

Jorge



Jock Elliott
 

First, recognize that I am the new guy here, so I have no standing in terms of experience. Second, please recognize that I am not trying to alter or change the Ultralight DX group. One of the very cool things about this group is that its members seem to be focused on squeezing the very last erg of performance out of their radios.

Having said that, as I poke around the MW DX world, there doesn't seem to be a group that is focused on optimizing the tools and techniques of portable radios in general for MW DX. If such a group exists, would you point me in the right direction?

If such a group does not exist, is it possible that there is room for heavyweight and mediumweight classes of portables here?

Cheers, Jock



Paul Blundell
 

That to me sounds like a good idea, keep the focus on what we do and add classes for various sizes / types of radios.

Paul

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 07:41 Jock Elliott, <jock.elliott@...> wrote:
First, recognize that I am the new guy here, so I have no standing in terms of experience. Second, please recognize that I am not trying to alter or change the Ultralight DX group. One of the very cool things about this group is that its members seem to be focused on squeezing the very last erg of performance out of their radios.

Having said that, as I poke around the MW DX world, there doesn't seem to be a group that is focused on optimizing the tools and techniques of portable radios in general for MW DX. If such a group exists, would you point me in the right direction?

If such a group does not exist, is it possible that there is room for heavyweight and mediumweight classes of portables here?

Cheers, Jock



Gary DeBock
 

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 10:17 AM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
Here in Europe we are not as used in North America or in Oz to listen to the radio with small pocket radios and most of the people has small portables but slightly bigger in size than ULRs. 
 
I told Gary that probably we could stamp on the award the portable model used, so we could repeat the Challenge in the future with another model. Here in Europe we use portable receivers as big as 30 squared inches and in fact the Challenge remain the same, as the limiting factors are the noise, the power stations and of course the propagation. So, trying to promote the hobby... Would have any problem to extend the portable size to 30 sq. inches? Or maybe we may add a new category to allow bigger portables up to 30 sq. inches, for instance?
 
Hello Jorge,

Thank you for your excellent comments!

Our Ultralight radio group has always tried to be as inclusive as possible, and we have always welcomed DXing reports with any size of portable, not just the "official" Ultralight-sized portables of 20 cubic inches or less. Your completion of the Ross DX Challenge with a Degen DE1103 is an outstanding achievement, and you should be proud of that accomplishment.

Actually, the only reasons we have the "official" Ultralight radio requirements is for the Awards Program and the Records List-- but since both the North American Awards Program and the Worldwide Records List have been inactive for some time, this distinction in the size of the portable radio hasn't really mattered for a long time.

The European DXers are welcome to use any size of portable for a European Awards program, although it would probably be best for the European DXers to refer to them as "portables" instead of "ultralights," since there are some portables (like the Panasonic RF-2200) that definitely are not "ultralight." We would feel very honored to have the European portable DXers remain as part of our group, and share resources, DXing tips and friendship with them. In my own personal DXing, I have used both the CC Skywave and the XHDATA D-808 as transoceanic DXing portables, despite the fact that the XHDATA D-808 is clearly over the 20 cubic inch size limit. The challenge of chasing DX is the same on both portables, and they can clearly work together for DXing success-- just like the North American Ultralight Radio DXers and the European Portable DXers!

73 y Buena Suerte,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Ultralight Radio Group Co-Founder
  


Mike Sanburn
 

Welcome !! You might also get in contact with the International Radio Club of America.  It is mostly involved with AM DXing and has many technical articles/reprints available.  They have a Facebook Page, message board on groups.io , and a website which is listed below:
www.ircaonline.org    ---Mike Sanburn
Visit International Radio Club of America. Browse information and resources for International Radio Club of America
www.ircaonline.org


From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> on behalf of Jock Elliott <jock.elliott@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 12:41 PM
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io <main@ultralightdx.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Returning to the world of ULR DXing, what's on the approved list these days???
 
First, recognize that I am the new guy here, so I have no standing in terms of experience. Second, please recognize that I am not trying to alter or change the Ultralight DX group. One of the very cool things about this group is that its members seem to be focused on squeezing the very last erg of performance out of their radios.

Having said that, as I poke around the MW DX world, there doesn't seem to be a group that is focused on optimizing the tools and techniques of portable radios in general for MW DX. If such a group exists, would you point me in the right direction?

If such a group does not exist, is it possible that there is room for heavyweight and mediumweight classes of portables here?

Cheers, Jock



Jock Elliott
 

Mike,

Thanks for the info!

While searching for the groups.io IRCA group, I discovered some interesting statistics regarding members on groups.io: the IRCA group has 341 members, the MW DXer User Group has 140 members, and the Ultralight Radio DXing Enthusiasts has . . . drumroll, please . . . 1405 members (if the numbers reported by groups.io is correct).

My CCrane 2E has arrived, and it is bigger and heavier than I expected, but still I am enjoying it. If anyone here is interested in my impressions and user experience with the 2E, let me know.

In the meantime, I am really looking forward to Gary's upcoming shoot-out of Ultralights.

Cheers, Jock


Paul Blundell
 

Interesting members number, I am a member of the IRCA group and find it to be very active. I find both groups have a place in the hobby overall. 

I believe that the ultralight discussion started on the IRCA group but then was split off, this was before my time.

Paul


On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 22:23 Jock Elliott, <jock.elliott@...> wrote:
Mike,

Thanks for the info!

While searching for the groups.io IRCA group, I discovered some interesting statistics regarding members on groups.io: the IRCA group has 341 members, the MW DXer User Group has 140 members, and the Ultralight Radio DXing Enthusiasts has . . . drumroll, please . . . 1405 members (if the numbers reported by groups.io is correct).

My CCrane 2E has arrived, and it is bigger and heavier than I expected, but still I am enjoying it. If anyone here is interested in my impressions and user experience with the 2E, let me know.

In the meantime, I am really looking forward to Gary's upcoming shoot-out of Ultralights.

Cheers, Jock


Pedro Porres
 

Hi Alex, from my experience I can recommend the Sangean DT-250 that I have been using for a month and with which I am starting at the same time in the Dx of MW and in the Ultralight Dx. It is simple but functional, it has sensitivity and the batteries last a long time. I work without an auxiliary antenna, in this way I try to get the most out of the receiver, but this is, I suppose, because I am starting, after a while, I will possibly need an antenna to catch new stations.

Pedro Porres.
Córdoba, Spain.


Alex
 
Edited

Hey Gary,

 

Nice to hear from you again sir!!!! BTW, you adjusted the loop stick antenna on the SRF-39 and it was working great till the volume pot started to wear out.... :/.  And I now see Sony disco'd the SRF-59 and -37 Series of radios, Even "No-name" AM/ FM radios are disappearing...Gee I hope no one has a catastrophe that knocks out the power, phone lines thus no internet / cell phones or podcasts......:P

As far as the rules 20 inches in cubic volume correct?? Also are the awards still being issued, and if so to whom do I submit logs?

 

  Alex (SW OH, USA )


Gary DeBock
 

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 01:12 PM, Alex wrote:
As far as the rules 20 inches in cubic volume correct?? Also are the awards still being issued, and if so to whom do I submit logs?
Welcome back to the group, Alex!  Yes, the SRF-29, 39, 49 and 59 series of analog Ultralights have been discontinued by Sony for quite a while. Occasionally NOS units will show up on eBay, though, with prices all over the map.

The Ultralight Awards program has been in limbo for a few years now, although there has been recent discussion of starting it back up if we get more volunteers. Unfortunately I currently lack time to prepare the certificates, and we would need additional volunteer(s) to screen the applications. As for the 20 cubic inch (volume) size limit for Ultralight Radio classification, it is still in effect for North America, although Jorge Garzon of Spain has requested that it be changed in favor of a "portable" designation for a new European Awards program, which is fine with me. For quite a while we have welcomed any portable radio user to report his loggings on this site, and I personally have no problem sharing all of our group's resources with any portable radio user worldwide. Some of the newer portables like the XHDATA D-808 have  a size very close to the 20 cubic inch limit, but slightly exceed it. I still use both the XHDATA D-808 and CC Skywave side by side in all-out transoceanic DXing on the ocean coast, and it doesn't really bother me that one of them isn't an official "Ultralight." :-)

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)




 

 


Paul S. in CT
 

I've been having recent fun with the new Tecsun PL-330, it has SSB with only 10Hz steps. Fits all the original requirements (less than 20 cu. in and under $100). I also have 2 analogs the Tecsun R-9012 and R-911 that I use with a loop (Tecsun AN-200). Each of these 3 items are generally US$25 or less. I will say that sometimes Analog + Loop > PL-330. YRMV

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl