Retekess V-115 FM/AM/SW Radio Review – July 2021

Paul Blundell

First Impressions:
I recently ordered the Retekess V-115 FMAMSW Radio off eBay, for under $30 it seemed like good value and the built-in recorder to an SD card seemed like a feature I could make use of.
Physical – The radio is fairly small / light and seems to be built as well as you would expect for a radio at this price point.
Usage – from my testing so far, it seems to work as I would expect and pulls in signals “barefoot” as well as my Teac PR130. I feel so far that my Digitech AR-1733 still has the edge in RF performance.
Issues – So far, I have found a few issues. The tuning modes are that you either manually enter a frequency via the keypad or you use the auto tune modes, you can’t scroll from frequency to frequency, say from 531kHz to 540kHz, you need to either enter each frequency or use the auto tune modes, these only work on the strongest signals so for serious DXing, this is a huge disadvantage. The display backlight is VERY bright which means it is not easy to use in bed, it lights up the whole room, this reduces the “wife approval factor” as it looks like aliens are in the room. I have also noticed that the buttons are hard to press and have a noise with them, this also makes bedtime use less than ideal. The recorder works well but names the files RAD001, RAD002, this means I need to keep a record of what frequency each recording relates to.

Overall, I am on the fence with this so far, while it has some good features, the tuning mode is going to be harder to use and the file name for the recordings is a pain.

Mark Roberts

This radio originally came out as the Tivdio V-115 and has gone by numerous other names. This page has extensive information about this model: https://www.qsl.net/n9ewo/v115.html

I have a Tivdio V-115 - the AM and FM performance is so-so, with odd digital noises popping up here and there. On the other hand, the recording function does a very good job, better than comparable products from Tecsun, though not as good as a separate, dedicated recorder such as one of the Tascam models. The speaker sound is surprisingly good for a radio of its size. The user interface is quirky and you can't press the buttons too fast, otherwise the radio will just ignore you.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 5:00 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information, it matches much of what I have found so far.

Paul

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021, 11:34 Mark Roberts, <markrobt@...> wrote:
[...]

Mine should only be a week or so away. I hope I get a good example with no issues.

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Retekess V-115 FM/AM/SW Radio Review – July 2021
[...]

Mine seems to work well enough. I need to spend some more time testing all the features but so far I am happy with it.

Paul

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

K7DWI Art

Add a couple of points.
Likes:
1. Excellent MP3 player via the internal speaker.
2. Very good battery life and holding of charge over time.
3. I like the backlight.
4. Nice quality sound out of its internal speaker, whether the radio or from a "Line In" (Used on several occasions with other radios).
5. Nice to have recorder.
Dislikes:
1. DX'es like a bag of rocks. Not good for finding weak signals.
2. Easily overloads on strong nearby stations.
3. The stand is useless. Always breaks loose.
4. Not good with external antennas. My Select-A-Tenna does not play well with it. Strengthens signal, but you can't null it out.

Tuning takes getting use to, but is fine when you figure it out.

I bought mine for $18 via Walmart. It's a good $18 radio and is a nice utility backup to my more DXing portables.
Serious DX with something else.
73
Art K7DWI Southern Oregon

Paul Blundell

Spot on Art and pretty much what I have also found.

One question, when you use earphones, does your internal speaker disconnect? I have noticed with mine that even with earphones connected, the sound still comes out of the speaker.

Paul

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 7:28 AM K7DWI Art <k7dwicn82@...> wrote:

[...]

Five Days In:
Sound quality from the internal speaker and ear phones is good.
- Tuning method while not easy to start with is making more sense as I use it.
- Excellent battery life, I have only just needed to recharge it after 4-5 days of heavy usage.
- I have grown to like the backlight. While it is bright, I have managed to get use to it.
- DX performance so far is solid without being amazing. I am yet to test it with my 3" FSL.

https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/07/retekess-v-115-fmamsw-radio-review-july.html

Mine should only be days away.

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Your comments just make me more keen for mine to arrive.

Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 9:43 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Five Days In:
Sound quality from the internal speaker and ear phones is good.
- Tuning method while not easy to start with is making more sense as I use it.

- Excellent battery life, I have only just needed to recharge it after 4-5 days of heavy usage.
- I have grown to like the backlight. While it is bright, I have managed to get use to it.
- DX performance so far is solid without being amazing. I am yet to test it with my 3" FSL.

https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/07/retekess-v-115-fmamsw-radio-review-july.html

Paul Blundell

I will be very interested to see how it goes for you and your thoughts. Will you be using it mostly for AM or FM?

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Both. FM for fun, AM for DXing.

Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Much the same as me. I find FM is good of a night time as I go to sleep.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021, 16:41 Frank Standford, <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
Both. FM for fun, AM for DXing.

Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Six Days In:
Yesterday I focused on the FM band. Running some side by side comparisons showed that this has the edge over the AR-1733 for audio quality but the AR-1733 was able to pick up more stations. I used a couple of the CBD translators as the test signals for this. The AR-1733 was able to hear these with a much stronger signal, compared to the V-115.

I have also been using the recorder more and am getting the hang of this and the functions to delete recordings. I have also attempted copying some recordings off and playing these on my laptop, that has worked very well.

Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Tammy Walker

Hi, Paul.  I didn't see an answer to your question about the earphones and speaker, so here's my experience with it.  That doesn't happen on the two that I have.  One I grabbed on sale to use primarily for recording from other radios, so less experience with that one via earphones but no problems so far.  I've used the other one for a long while now pretty much exclusively with earphones, since it's the one I use when I unintentionally wake up at 4am and don't want to wake up my husband....  I also ended up getting a Koss VC20 volume control since the radio was too loud via earphones set to the lowest volume.

A good radio for the purposes I have them for (recording and local strong AM/FM), but definitely a mess when I attached an external antenna.

Hope this helps.

--
Tammy

Paul Blundell

Thanks Tammy.

It looks like the issue is the earphones I was using and not the radio itself. I have tried it with a different set of earphones and the internal speaker stopped working when I plugged them in. I have tested some more and found with the ones I use the most, if I pull them out a small way (see attached photo) it works. Not sure what I will do as I prefer to use these ones.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 7:17 AM <tdwalker13@...> wrote:
Hi, Paul.  I didn't see an answer to your question about the earphones and speaker, so here's my experience with it.  That doesn't happen on the two that I have.  One I grabbed on sale to use primarily for recording from other radios, so less experience with that one via earphones but no problems so far.  I've used the other one for a long while now pretty much exclusively with earphones, since it's the one I use when I unintentionally wake up at 4am and don't want to wake up my husband....  I also ended up getting a Koss VC20 volume control since the radio was too loud via earphones set to the lowest volume.

A good radio for the purposes I have them for (recording and local strong AM/FM), but definitely a mess when I attached an external antenna.

Hope this helps.

--
Tammy

Mine has been delayed again, they reckon mid next week at this stage.

Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 7:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Twelve Days In:
Over the weekend I was able to spend some more time using my
Retekess V-115 and found a couple of interesting things:
- The battery meter shows "full" for a decent period of time and then drops off quickly, this caught me out as I took it out and thought it had more charge than it really did.
- The "automatic search and store" works well but requires a good signal level to log a station, the ATS on the AR-1733 works much better and does not need the signal to be as strong.
- I have been unable to get auto power off to work, it shows the right icons but does not actually turn off after the desired time period.

I am STILL waiting of mine to arrive.

Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2021 at 1:45 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Twelve Days In:
Over the weekend I was able to spend some more time using my
Retekess V-115 and found a couple of interesting things:
- The battery meter shows "full" for a decent period of time and then drops off quickly, this caught me out as I took it out and thought it had more charge than it really did.
- The "automatic search and store" works well but requires a good signal level to log a station, the ATS on the AR-1733 works much better and does not need the signal to be as strong.
- I have been unable to get auto power off to work, it shows the right icons but does not actually turn off after the desired time period.

Paul Blundell

I would love to hear what you think of yours, once it arrives.