Radio Plans 2021

Paul Blundell

With the end of the year cheaping up fast, what are all of our radio plans for 2021?

I have a few things I want to do:

- Continue with as many of my portable ultralight radio DXing sessions as I can. While it is fairly easy to get out and about now in our Summer, it might be harder to be as motivated come Winter.

- Continue to develop my blog, creating new content and posting anything of interest to the UltraLight Radio DXing community.

- Expand my kit, I have my eye on a couple of radios.

COVID-19 has thrown a lot of plans for 2020 out the window, I know after our restrictions were lifted locally, I struggled to get back into the groove of running my portable DXing sessions, I am still struggling with this a bit.

Michael.2E0IHW

I am concerned about the longevity of modern radios
and the disincentive this entails.

There are credible insider reports of designed-in redundancy
after a certain period.  I have three which "died" prematurely,
possibly coincidences, possibly unreliable SMD components.
Dunno.

Not getting younger,  I am beginning to prefer non-UL radios
I can build or fix myself :-)

The gradual demise of AM broadcasting is another disconcerting factor.

Quo vadis, UL-dx, AM-dx, SWL?

Michael UK

On 30/11/2020 04:01, Paul Blundell wrote:
With the end of the year cheaping up fast, what are all of our radio plans for 2021?
- Expand my kit, I have my eye on a couple of radios.

Paul Blundell

Good point, my recent experience with my AR-1733 dying after only 6 weeks shows that things just don't last. This is part of my reason for expanding my kit to include a few different brands.

Paul

On Mon., 30 Nov. 2020, 20:14 Michael.2E0IHW via groups.io, <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am concerned about the longevity of modern radios
and the disincentive this entails.

There are credible insider reports of designed-in redundancy
after a certain period.  I have three which "died" prematurely,
possibly coincidences, possibly unreliable SMD components.
Dunno.

Not getting younger,  I am beginning to prefer non-UL radios
I can build or fix myself :-)

The gradual demise of AM broadcasting is another disconcerting factor.

Quo vadis, UL-dx, AM-dx, SWL?

Michael UK

On 30/11/2020 04:01, Paul Blundell wrote:
With the end of the year cheaping up fast, what are all of our radio plans for 2021?
- Expand my kit, I have my eye on a couple of radios.

Peter Laws

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 10:01 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@gmail.com> wrote:

With the end of the year cheaping up fast, what are all of our radio plans for 2021?
I need to up my game in the sub-let's-call-it-2000-kHz spectrum. I
will likely start with an MLA-30+ because it's easy. Before I do
that, the 2-m and 70-cm IsoPoles need to go back up now that the
house-painting is done (it's been done a while - I am slow).

I am contemplating a Beverage or other long wire for MWDXing but the
mag loop is much more likely to actually happen given the 12456 other
unfinished projects weighing me down. :-) (projects like getting
the dead bands on my recently acquired Realistic DX-160 working and
figuring out how to "restore" the buttons on my Tecsun PL-606 not to
mention finishing the audio interface box for my Icom IC-910 ...)

I also need a better FM antenna both for DXing and just general tunage
in the radio room.

Good luck with all that Peter, we can help keep you on task.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 7:17 AM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 10:01 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

> With the end of the year cheaping up fast, what are all of our radio plans for 2021?

I need to up my game in the sub-let's-call-it-2000-kHz spectrum.  I
will likely start with an MLA-30+ because it's easy.  Before I do
that, the 2-m and 70-cm IsoPoles need to go back up now that the
house-painting is done (it's been done a while - I am slow).

I am contemplating a Beverage or other long wire for MWDXing but the
mag loop is much more likely to actually happen given the 12456 other
unfinished projects weighing me down.  :-)   (projects like getting
the dead bands on my recently acquired Realistic DX-160 working and
figuring out how to "restore" the buttons on my Tecsun PL-606 not to
mention finishing the audio interface box for my Icom IC-910 ...)

I also need a better FM antenna both for DXing and just general tunage
in the radio room.

I have updated my plans a bit:

- Continue with my long term DXing project - in 2021 I will be expanding this.
- Expanding my time and skills on the FM band
- Start a new radio challenge, I am planning on running a different one each month.

Peter Laws

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:16 PM Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 10:01 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@gmail.com> wrote:

With the end of the year cheaping up fast, what are all of our radio plans for 2021?
I need to up my game in the sub-let's-call-it-2000-kHz spectrum. I
will likely start with an MLA-30+ because it's easy. Before I do
that, the 2-m and 70-cm IsoPoles need to go back up now that the
house-painting is done (it's been done a while - I am slow).

I am contemplating a Beverage or other long wire for MWDXing but the
mag loop is much more likely to actually happen given the 12456 other
unfinished projects weighing me down. :-) (projects like getting
the dead bands on my recently acquired Realistic DX-160 working and
figuring out how to "restore" the buttons on my Tecsun PL-606 not to
mention finishing the audio interface box for my Icom IC-910 ...)
I've actually made some progress. The IsoPoles are back up and in
service (and then the Icom dual-band radio I used with them died ...
but I had another).

And I took the PL-606 apart (I still need to put that video online)
but the keyboard's not much better.

And the MLA-30+ finally arrived today. :-)

Glad to hear you are making progress with all of this Peter.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 2:03 PM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:16 PM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 10:01 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
> >
> > With the end of the year cheaping up fast, what are all of our radio plans for 2021?
>
> I need to up my game in the sub-let's-call-it-2000-kHz spectrum.  I
> will likely start with an MLA-30+ because it's easy.  Before I do
> that, the 2-m and 70-cm IsoPoles need to go back up now that the
> house-painting is done (it's been done a while - I am slow).
>
> I am contemplating a Beverage or other long wire for MWDXing but the
> mag loop is much more likely to actually happen given the 12456 other
> unfinished projects weighing me down.  :-)   (projects like getting
> the dead bands on my recently acquired Realistic DX-160 working and
> figuring out how to "restore" the buttons on my Tecsun PL-606 not to
> mention finishing the audio interface box for my Icom IC-910 ...)

I've actually made some progress.  The IsoPoles are back up and in
service (and then the Icom dual-band radio I used with them died ...
but I had another).

And I took the PL-606 apart (I still need to put that video online)
but the keyboard's not much better.

And the MLA-30+ finally arrived today.    :-)

Now six weeks in to the year, this is gong fairly well:
- Continue with my long term DXing project - in 2021 I will be expanding this. Done and started the DX2021 challenge.
- Expanding my time and skills on the FM band. Done, I am now splitting my time between the AM and FM bands.
- Start a new radio challenge, I am planning on running a different one each month. Done, I am planning my next one for March.

Paul