Question: Good reception or just average?

CSA <autterson@...>

Quick question from the new guy: using a Sangean HDR-14, I heard WHP 580 tonight from metro Detroit. Looks like roughly 450 miles give or take. I believe it’s 5,000 watts. Good catch or just so so? Just tying to get a baseline. Thanks !

CSA

Paul Blundell

That is 725km. Without knowing the station and your local conditions/ band behaviour, I personally can't say. Do you normally hear stations out to that distance?

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021, 8:26 pm CSA via groups.io, <autterson=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Quick question from the new guy: using a Sangean HDR-14, I heard WHP 580 tonight from metro Detroit. Looks like roughly 450 miles give or take. I believe it’s 5,000 watts. Good catch or just so so? Just tying to get a baseline. Thanks !

CSA

CSA <autterson@...>

I do. But the station points it’s antenna SE at night. Basically the opposite direction of where I’m located. That, along with being only 5,000 watts seems like it would be difficult to capture with a small radio like the HDR-14, with no assist from a loop or other ancillary antenna.

Jorge Garzón

Hi CSA,
As Paul says, I don't know your local conditions, but I can say (I am the proud owner of one of this) that the HDR-14 is a very capable receiver and enough sensitive to catch a MW signal 700 km away under the right conditions. Propagation is changing and have in mind that last night the  solar CME hit the Earth and MW conditions were better than average. Probably also helped!
Saludos

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En martes, 12 de octubre de 2021 14:20:08 CEST, CSA via groups.io <autterson@...> escribió:

I do. But the station points it’s antenna SE at night. Basically the opposite direction of where I’m located. That, along with being only 5,000 watts seems like it would be difficult to capture with a small radio like the HDR-14, with no assist from a loop or other ancillary antenna.

CSA <autterson@...>

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Also .. nice to meet you, so to speak :)

Chris Autterson

On Oct 12, 2021, at 3:22 PM, Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX@...> wrote:

[...]

mediumwavedx

Hi CSA,

I would call that an excellent reception! You are in the null of their pattern to the northwest.

Bill

CSA <autterson@...>

Thanks, Bill .. appreciate the feedback!

Chris Autterson