Publication news

Jock Elliott

My article on "Ultralight MW DXing with Ferrite Sleeve Loop Antennas" has been published in the October issue of Spectrum Monitor and would not have been possible without wonderful cooperation and interviews with Gary DeBock and Paul Walker. Thank you both!

swskeds provided a link to the October issue of Asian DX Review. Here's the link: https://idxci.in/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/ADXR-Volume-39-No-564-October-2021.pdf

Among the interesting content is a list of private European SW stations. I was unaware of them and thought it might be really interesting to try to hear some of them.

Ray Mongrain

On Oct 1, 2021, at 6:24 AM, Jock Elliott <jock.elliott@...> wrote:

My article on "Ultralight MW DXing with Ferrite Sleeve Loop Antennas" has been published in the October issue of Spectrum Monitor and would not have been possible without wonderful cooperation and interviews with Gary DeBock and Paul Walker. Thank you both!

swskeds provided a link to the October issue of Asian DX Review. Here's the link: https://idxci.in/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/ADXR-Volume-39-No-564-October-2021.pdf

Among the interesting content is a list of private European SW stations. I was unaware of them and thought it might be really interesting to try to hear some of them.

Ray Mongrain

Hi,

The article was great.  I would like to build an antenna.  Please show me where I can find instructions.

Thanks,
Ray

On Oct 1, 2021, at 6:24 AM, Jock Elliott <jock.elliott@...> wrote:

My article on "Ultralight MW DXing with Ferrite Sleeve Loop Antennas" has been published in the October issue of Spectrum Monitor and would not have been possible without wonderful cooperation and interviews with Gary DeBock and Paul Walker. Thank you both!

swskeds provided a link to the October issue of Asian DX Review. Here's the link: https://idxci.in/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/ADXR-Volume-39-No-564-October-2021.pdf

Among the interesting content is a list of private European SW stations. I was unaware of them and thought it might be really interesting to try to hear some of them.

Paul Blundell

Awesome work.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021, 8:24 pm Jock Elliott, <jock.elliott@...> wrote:
My article on "Ultralight MW DXing with Ferrite Sleeve Loop Antennas" has been published in the October issue of Spectrum Monitor and would not have been possible without wonderful cooperation and interviews with Gary DeBock and Paul Walker. Thank you both!

swskeds provided a link to the October issue of Asian DX Review. Here's the link: https://idxci.in/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/ADXR-Volume-39-No-564-October-2021.pdf

Among the interesting content is a list of private European SW stations. I was unaware of them and thought it might be really interesting to try to hear some of them.

Gary DeBock

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 04:46 PM, Ray Mongrain wrote:
Hi,

The article was great.  I would like to build an antenna.  Please show me where I can find instructions.

Thanks,
Ray

Thanks Ray,

Depending on what antenna you wish to build, a couple of these links may prove useful.

If you would like an enhanced (7.5 inch) MW or LW loopstick for the XHDATA D-808 model, a full construction article is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/5d0pi85jfptgmrj4pd0jsmaybgb6gteh
If you would like a 3" Baby FSL antenna (with the design photo and construction parts photo attached), a full construction article is currently being drafted. But if you have antenna building experience you can build off of the design photo posted in this message, substituting 100mm x 8mm Russian surplus ferrite rods (available on eBay) for the 160mm x 8mm rods called for in the very similar 3.5" Frequent Flyer FSL full construction article posted at  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/kawg0ae79yktfw6qzhuh0jw2npxdw80c

There have been numerous improvements in compact FSL design and survivability since the 3.5" Frequent Flyer article was drafted in July of 2017, so I don't recommend that you build that model. The recent improvements stop ferrite rod horizontal shifting and ferrite sleeve rotation, making the antenna far more rugged for survival in tough environments (ocean cliffs, Alaskan snowfields, or maybe United Airlines luggage ramps).

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Phil Pasteur

Hi,
 I read the PDF from the link that you posted. Interesting reading (I read it all), but I did not see the FSL article in that document. I assume that it is s different publication from the Spectrum Monitor publication where the FSL article appears? Correct?

THX
Phil

Jock Elliott

Phil,

Cheers, Jock

Phil Pasteur

Thanks... !!
And I did subscribe.

Robert Conboy

Nor is that the only form-factor you can use. I built this one inside large plastic food jars.  This is an active, regenerative FSL antenna built from 7 inch ferrite bars housed in large plastic food jars.  There is a pickup coil, a feedback coil, and a tuned coil. The pickup coil feeds an amplifier. The amplifier output goes through a 500 Ohm potentiometer to the feedback coil. This dramatically increases the sensitivity and narrows the selectivity - adjustable by the potentiometer.   The antenna also works as a regular FSL when the amplifier is switched off.

On Oct 3, 2021, at 3:53 PM, Phil Pasteur via groups.io <ppasteur@...> wrote:

Thanks... !!
And I did subscribe.

biometuy

Hi Robert:

Can you share more information and schematics?, sounds very good this approach and new design.

Congrats good work!

Best Regards

JJ