Portable Ultralight Radio DXing Case - July 2021

Paul Blundell

Recently I have been on the lookout for a suitable carry case for my ultralight radios. I have found that carrying my 3" FSL plus all my radios was overkill, mainly when I find I am mostly DXing "barefoot".

My local Bunnings has a range of cases and I found that this one was the best size for my needs, it cost $16. The foam that comes with it is pretty poor so I replaced this with a much better piece of foam, this cost $33. The total is under $50. I also added the velcro strap to help keep the case closed securely.

I have setup the foam today with cutouts for my three main ultralight radios plus spare batteries and charger, ear phones and notebook / log sheets.

I am very happy with how this has turned out and think it will serve me well.

Alex

Nice set up Paul, I'll have to take a pic of mine sometime this weekend if I can, we'll and compare notes.

Alex N8UCN

"The Ear of the Cin-Day Corridor!!!"

Paul Blundell

Sounds good. I have always had a thing for cases, this was more of an issue when I was serious about photography.

Paul

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021, 14:22 Alex via groups.io, <rifleman336=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Nice set up Paul, I'll have to take a pic of mine sometime this weekend if I can, we'll and compare notes.

Alex N8UCN

"The Ear of the Cin-Day Corridor!!!"

Great looking case. That looks like a very secure way to store and carry them.

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: [UltralightDX] Portable Ultralight Radio DXing Case - July 2021

Recently I have been on the lookout for a suitable carry case for my ultralight radios. I have found that carrying my 3" FSL plus all my radios was overkill, mainly when I find I am mostly DXing "barefoot".

My local Bunnings has a range of cases and I found that this one was the best size for my needs, it cost $16. The foam that comes with it is pretty poor so I replaced this with a much better piece of foam, this cost $33. The total is under $50. I also added the velcro strap to help keep the case closed securely.

I have setup the foam today with cutouts for my three main ultralight radios plus spare batteries and charger, ear phones and notebook / log sheets.

I am very happy with how this has turned out and think it will serve me well.

Paul Blundell

So far I am very happy with it. The next job is to sort out a case for my 3" FSL, I think having this in a separate case will make things easier.

Paul

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io

Recently I have been on the lookout for a suitable carry case for my ultralight radios. I have found that carrying my 3" FSL plus all my radios was overkill, mainly when I find I am mostly DXing "barefoot".

My local Bunnings has a range of cases and I found that this one was the best size for my needs, it cost $16. The foam that comes with it is pretty poor so I replaced this with a much better piece of foam, this cost $33. The total is under $50. I also added the velcro strap to help keep the case closed securely.

I have setup the foam today with cutouts for my three main ultralight radios plus spare batteries and charger, ear phones and notebook / log sheets.

I am very happy with how this has turned out and think it will serve me well.

Would a bag work better or a crate?

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io

Recently I have been on the lookout for a suitable carry case for my ultralight radios. I have found that carrying my 3" FSL plus all my radios was overkill, mainly when I find I am mostly DXing "barefoot".

My local Bunnings has a range of cases and I found that this one was the best size for my needs, it cost $16. The foam that comes with it is pretty poor so I replaced this with a much better piece of foam, this cost $33. The total is under $50. I also added the velcro strap to help keep the case closed securely.

I have setup the foam today with cutouts for my three main ultralight radios plus spare batteries and charger, ear phones and notebook / log sheets.

I am very happy with how this has turned out and think it will serve me well.

I did try a bag in the past but was not that happy with it. I have thought about using a crate and have been keeping an eye out locally for anything suitable.

Paul

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io

Recently I have been on the lookout for a suitable carry case for my ultralight radios. I have found that carrying my 3" FSL plus all my radios was overkill, mainly when I find I am mostly DXing "barefoot".

My local Bunnings has a range of cases and I found that this one was the best size for my needs, it cost $16. The foam that comes with it is pretty poor so I replaced this with a much better piece of foam, this cost $33. The total is under $50. I also added the velcro strap to help keep the case closed securely.

I have setup the foam today with cutouts for my three main ultralight radios plus spare batteries and charger, ear phones and notebook / log sheets.

I am very happy with how this has turned out and think it will serve me well.

Update - 20/08/2021:

After using this for the past month, I found that I was not carrying it with me as much as wanted, often I was just taking my AR-1733 in my work bag and not my whole kit. Due to this I have now made some changes to this, as can be seen below. I have removed some of the foam and have setup a smaller plastic case for this spot, this holds my AR-1733, ear phones and spare batteries. I can now easily just grab this as my "daily carry" or take the whole case for more serious DXing times.