Portable Ultralight DXing Session - 22/05/2021 - Talbot Road Lookout

Paul Blundell

Date: 22/05/2021
Time: 9:00am
Location: Talbot Road Lookout, Launceston Tasmania.
Radio: AR-1733 / 3” FSL
Notes: A morning session at one of my preferred DXing locations. I firstly undertook a session for my long term DX project, these results were as expected. The three 50kw big gun stations from Victoria all hit “excellent” signal levels. 2CR on 549kHz only managed a “weak” signal level and 2CA on 1053kHz was not logged at all. Moving up the band, 3KND on 1503kHz was a bit of a surprise to log at “good” signal level. Both the HPON stations could only manage “average” signal levels.
I had my "second operator" along for the session today and his excitement was great, I look forward to having him along for more sessions in the future.

Long Term DX Project Loggings:

FREQ

CALLSIGN

LOGGED

Area Served

Purpose

Power

531

3GG

EXCELLENT

Warragul

Commercial

5k

549

2CR

WEAK

Cumnock

National

50k

594

3WV

EXCELLENT

Horsham

National

50k

621

3RN

EXCELLENT

Melbourne

National

50k

774

3LO

EXCELLENT

Melbourne

National

50k

1053

2CA

UNLOGGED

Canberra

Commercial

5k

1179

3RPH

WEAK

Melbourne

Community

5k

1341

HPON GEELONG

AVERAGE

Geelong

HPON

5k

1422

HPON MELBOURNE

AVERAGE

Melbourne

HPON

5k

1503

3KND

GOOD

Melbourne

Community

5k

After finishing this session for my long term DX project, I decided to have a bit of a listen around the band, excluding those stations which I logged above for my long term DX project, I was also able to log these stations on my Digitech AR-1733 and 3” FSL.

FREQ

CALLSIGN

Area Served

Purpose

Power

585

7RN

Hobart

National

10k

693

3AW

Melbourne

Commercial

5k

747

7PB

Hobart

National

3.5k

828

3GI

Sale

National

10k

936

7ZR

Hobart

National

10k

1008

HPON LAUNCESTON

Launceston

HPON

5k

radiojayallen

Paul,

Awesome looking location. Also it looks like your son may catch your DXing bug!

Jay

Paul Blundell

Yeah it is a great spot. I hope so, I first started with radio around his age.