Portable FM Session - 13/02/2021 - Mt George Lookout

Paul Blundell

Date: 13/02/2021
Time: 3:00 PM
Location: Mt George Lookout, Tasmania
Notes: A mid-afternoon scan of the FM broadcast band. This location provided excellent signals from the North West coast, including a number logged from Round Hill.

FREQUENCY

CALLSIGN

87.6

TOTE SPORT RADIO

88

RELIGIOUS STATIONS

89.3

LA FM

90.1

CHILLI FM

90.5

ABC BURNIE

90.9

TRIPLE J

91.7

ABC NORTHERN TASMANIA

92.5

ABC NEWS RADIO

93.3

ABC CLASSIC FM

94.1

ABC RADIO NATIONAL

95.3

TAMAR FM

96.9

MEANDER VALLEY FM

97.7

TOTE SPORT RADIO (BURNIE)

98.1

WAY FM

98.9

7AD

100.5

ABC DEVONPORT

101.3

TOTE SPORT RADIO (DEVONPORT)

102.1

ABC DEVONPORT

102.5

ABC DEVONPORT

103.7

CITY PARK RADIO

104.7

COAST FM DEVONPORT

105.3

WAY FM

107.7

SEA FM

radiojayallen

Paul,

Great photos! And very interesting as this shows a tremendous difference in FM saturation between your location and what we experience here in parts of the US. I moved from Connecticut to Kentucky last Spring and in both locations we find FM signals on just about every frequency on the dial. In fact one of the big challenges to home hobby FM broadcasting is finding a frequency clear enough to use. The only frequencies which don't have signals on them are adjacent to strong locals but even those frequencies often show sings of weak out of town signals. On a selective radio you can tune the band and hear something on each frequency, one after the other.

This is partly due to the proliferation of low power FM translators....FM allocations allocated to the owners of AM only stations to help them compete financially by having an FM voice...our FM band is completely crowded in many locations. Here selectivity rules on FM, and its lucky that modern DSP radios usually et you separate each frequency.

Jay

Paul Blundell

Thanks Jay.

Very interesting to hear the differences between our FM bands. We have a few low power stations down the bottom end for church groups, horse racing and the like.