Topics

PL-606 sticky buns ...

Peter Laws

OK, sticky BUTTONS. AFAIK, I've never spilled anything on the '606
but the buttons are either hard to press or seem sticky. Have not
taken it apart yet and not really afraid to, but thought I'd ask here
first. The problem may be lack of use - I don't use it enough! As it
warms up, I plan to do a little more porch-DXing, though, so maybe
this will fix it?

At any rate, if you have experience with PL-606 keyboards, please speak up!

kevin asato

I don't have a 606 but if the buttons have a rubberized coating, they deteriorate overtime and do get sticky. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol will remove the stickiness (and also the coating!). i used the 90% which is more effective at removing the coating. 70% will work but it will take a bit more to perform the cleanup ... if you can find rubbing alcohol. Given the current environment, it can be pure unobtanium.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, 01:56:08 PM PDT, Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

OK, sticky BUTTONS.  AFAIK, I've never spilled anything on the '606
but the buttons are either hard to press or seem sticky.  Have not
taken it apart yet and not really afraid to, but thought I'd ask here
first.  The problem may be lack of use - I don't use it enough!  As it
warms up, I plan to do a little more porch-DXing, though, so maybe
this will fix it?

At any rate, if you have experience with PL-606 keyboards, please speak up!

My PL-600 developed a bad case of gummybearitis and the cure is hi proof isopropyl alcohol as given above. I'm fortunate to own a few gallons of 99.9% so cutting it down with the appropriate amount of distilled water saved the day. I think I ended up with about 91% or so. I wish I knew what causes the breakdown as I've experienced this with another radio and an electronic scale. Good luck with your repair.

Peter Laws

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 10:37 AM Ron Layton via groups.io
<micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:

My PL-600 developed a bad case of gummybearitis and the cure is hi proof isopropyl alcohol as given above. I'm fortunate to own a few gallons of 99.9% so cutting it down with the appropriate amount of distilled water saved the day. I think I ended up with about 91% or so. I wish I knew what causes the breakdown as I've experienced this with another radio and an electronic scale. Good luck with your repair.

I wasn't clear in my description. At all. It isn't that my fingers
stick to the keys (no rubber on the exterior, thankfully, metalized
plastic) it's that the keys themselves seems to not push well or
release well. I often have to really push to make the switch do its
thing. Is this a membrane underneath? I suppose I should take it
apart and see. :/

It seems I have made a great error. It was not my PL-600 but my venerable RS DX-440 which has the rubbery push buttons.that developed the gummy decomposition. I don't know if there is a membrane under the keyboard on the 660 but I have had my 600 apart and didn't see any membrane. The 600 has the same plastic keys as the 660. I believe there is a tiny amount of rubber membrane around the tiny push buttons themselves if its like most other radios and this could be the culprit. Perhaps it protects the internals of the buttons from dust? Who knows.....I think my DX-440 developed this because I kept it in a closet, unused, for many years and it got hot. All the old Sangean produced radios had a full rubber pad with the external push buttons in one piece. When these go bad it can be a real chore to clean them up. I passed on buying a mint ATS-803a because of this problem.

Steve Nichols

I had a pair of binoculars that went the same way. I rubbed the sticky plastic with Armoural, a car interior treatment, and that did the trick.

Steve

Peter Laws

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:07 AM Ron Layton via groups.io
<micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:

It seems I have made a great error. It was not my PL-600 but my venerable RS DX-440 which has the rubbery push buttons.that developed the gummy decomposition. I
Lol! No "great errors" in hobby radio unless you are operating a transmitter.

I did exercise the buttons on my '606 and they seem better (20 or so
pushes apiece). I do note that, despite the exercise, some buttons
feel different. I suppose more exercise will help that. Alas, it's
morning work Zoom so that will have to wait.