Overloads in Tescun radios (and other DSP radios )

Zacharias Liangas

Hello
these days i have seen signal readouts of 80 and 90/xx in not only PL330 but also on PL380 .These signal can cause overloads to the specific band if not to the whole spectrum .This can happen when it is connected to an external antenna via the plug or by connecting it on the telescopic antenna
This i not only for the Tescun models but also other as the XHData 108 and 808

As in result can such so high signals damage to the internal electronics?

Marc Coevoet

Op 28/11/2021 om 21:58 schreef Zacharias Liangas via groups.io:
Hello
these days i have seen signal readouts of 80 and 90/xx in not only PL330 but also on PL380 .These signal can cause overloads to the specific band if not to the whole spectrum .This can happen when it is connected to an external antenna via the plug or by connecting it on the telescopic antenna
This i not only for the Tescun models but also other as the XHData 108 and 808
For SW:
I have never had overload problems when signals above 80dbu. I have never seen more that 90dbu ...

I only forgot a 380 in the rain ....

Marc

For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

Paul Blundell

Hi.

I suspect that they would have some level of protection, so unless you are standing next to a high power transmitter site, you should not "damage" your radio.

Paul

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 12:58 PM, Zacharias Liangas wrote:
As in result can such so high signals damage to the internal electronics?
Zacharias and All,

It is very unlikely that an Ultralight's internal electronics would be damaged by strong signals received by the stock loopstick, However, directly connecting external antennas with strong RF levels (in place of the stock loopstick) is risky.

In 2016 I tried a project of directly connecting a small FSL antenna to a Tecsun PL-380, and it worked very well as long as the FSL diameter was only 3 inches or smaller   https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/aq40d24dt7yawrf8qvi2zehoi8evej3g
Connecting FSL's larger than 3" in diameter was risky, with one PL-380 having its DSP chip destroyed by a directly connected 4 inch FSL. The CC Skywave was very intolerant of directly-connected FSL's, with two models destroyed by experiments to connect a 3 inch and 2 inch FSL. It's much better to use inductively-coupled FSL's (or air core loops) if you really want high DXing gain with Ultralights.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Jock Elliott

Gary, very useful.

I don't know about others here, but I have a tendency to apply the "prune juice theory" to antennas -- ie, if a little bit is good, then a whole lot more ought to be great, right? (Don't try this with prune juice).

Cheers, Jock

Ken Baird <kenalbertbaird@...>

My recent test on a PL330 when I started with 20m wire and cutting off 5m at a time and testing reception across the SW bands showed that the optimum length of the external wire for this DSP was about 10m. No significant improvement was apparent using a longer wire - noise increased and eventually, some overloading.
Cheers,
Ken Baird, NZ

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the information Ken, it sounds like you have found what length works best for you.

Paul