Od: mediumwavedx
Wysłano: niedziela, 18 października 2020 12:13
Do: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Temat: Re: [UltralightDX] The RADIOWOW R-108 is in the Amazon Prime-Day deals for $41.57

I got mine two days ago. I'm extremely happy with it.

The build quality is very good. Excellent sensitivity on medium wave. Shortwave is good too. I'm also enjoying the air band. Buttons work well and are not as stiff as the PL-380. I'm hoping they will hold up as the radio ages. It has a beautifully-lit display which is very easy to read.

It does everything the C. Crane Skywave does plus more and was about half the price at $41. The R-108 has the ability to display the RSSI signal strength and SNR signal-to-noise ratio too, which the Skywave does not. For a DXer and one who like measurements, this is essential to me.

Bill

mediumwavedx

Edited

Agreed, the display is very bright and has a slight bluish tint to it which might offend some people. I'm an older guy (73 soon) and don't see so well unless the brightness and contrast is turned up so the display works well for me.

The unit does indeed have some weird birdies as many of these small DSP units do. One notable one on 1400 KHz, but often it settles down and disappears after staying on the frequency for awhile. Not sure what causes this.

I don't find the single band switch objectionable. In a way it's less confusing for me. The CCrane Skywave has AM and FM on a separate button, so you can go directly there with one press. The R-108 just puts everything on one carousel button. When you carousel around to shortwave it lands you on the previous SW band you were tuned to. That's OK, let's say it was 41 meters. But to get to the next SW band, the 31 meter band, you have to manually enter a frequency in that band's range. In other words, I don't see a way to carousel through the individual shortwave bands. Maybe I'm missing something.

On the dBu readings, at least for the early Tecsun radios (310, 380), the mediumwave RSSI dBu value was the actual voltage across the ferrite loopstick, input to the preamp. On shortwave, it was taken at the output of the preamp. This is per Scott Willingham, one of the designers of the Si473x series, reported in a review I did on the PL-380 many years ago. I didn't ask about FM, but is most likely at the output of the preamp. Newer radios may measure mediumwave dBu at a different point, but I suspect the cheaper DSP radios still take the mediumwave dBu value off the loopstick. Larger DSP radios like the PL-880 have the chip downline, so the measurement is taken from that point. The handy thing about this with these little units is you get a direct comparison of the loopstick's receive efficiency on mediumwave (and longwave too). I wish CCrane would have included the RSSI and SNR dB values on the Skywave's display.

Audio quality is outstanding.

Sensitivity better than my PL-380, but about equal the my Skywave.

It's a definite keeper for me.

Bill

Paul Blundell

Regarding the brightness of the display, what is the best way to reduce this? One of my radios "lights up the room" when used of a night time.

Paul

mediumwavedx

I was thinking one might put some gold or brownish colored cellophane over the display. That would reduce the brightness and also eliminate the bluish tint. Sounds silly but it might work! Now, where can we find that?

Then it hit me that those grayish cellophane packets that ICs come in for experimenters might do it. I recently bought some parts and I had some so I tried it. It works. Some packets are darker than others and work better.

I'd hate to tear into my new little radio just yet!

Bill

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the ideas, I might give this a try with some of my radios.

Paul