New E-Skip Loggings 7/22/08

Norbert 26 <starship_2001@...>

All loggings and notes refer to Eton E-100 stock with stock whip.

Subject: New Logging 7/22/08 New DX record
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:25 PM

Heard on Eton E-100 barefoot at Conimciut Point Park Warwick R,I. .

Opening Notes: Today was the big one. A massive tropo duct opened into the gulf coast. I found myself smack in the middle of it. The dial was peppered with stations UNIDED mentioning tennesee, Missisippi, the gulf coast including a weather report from the gulf coast. UNided on several freqs 94.7 107.5 ,105.7, 103.9 and a few others. uNFORTUNATLY  i was called to WORK and had to drop this massive seesion. i have at least one logged and possibly one or two more IDed but the notes need to be picked thru. The single complete logging below alone sets a new FM DX record. for me.

New Logging:

94.9 WKSJ Mobile Alabama 12:01 PM EDT heres another 50 minute music maraton on 95 ksj also heard a mobile alabama weather report earlier. battling i out with WHOM Mt Washington for channel ownership. 7/22/08

Subject: New Logging (2) 7-22-08
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:26 PM

94.5 WHOD Jackson Alabama 1:09 PM ET    Jox or jocks fm jox is moving from 1005 to 945 change your car presets website is here
http://wjox1005fm.com/ . An earlier AD block mentioned something in or about missisipi. 7/22/08

Note: The station is in transition of moving from 100.5 to 94.5 . 100.5 is WJOX Alabama.

Subject: Last New Logging 7-22-08
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:29 PM

Heard on Eton E-100 barefoot from Warwick R.I.

Note: this is the last of the salvagable notes spilled soda on them at work (had no choice but to take notes with me to work.)

94.7 WWJK Jackson Mississippi 12:32 PM EDT something about mississippi foloowed by Jack 947 playing what we want followed by blondie heart of glass 7/22/08

John Cereghin <pastor@...>

I dunno.  I just can't bring myself to use an ultralight when the Es is in for FM DX.  Gotta milk the opening for every station you can and that usually means the top shelf radios.  I got in on the Es from yesterday and bagged 9 new stations from Oklahoma, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas, but I used the car radio since these things always happen when I'm at lunch.

Using an ultralight during a strong tropo opening might be more interesting since you aren't under the same time constraints as you are with short-lived Es.  You have to play around when the tropo is in, unlike when the Es is in.

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE
Proud daddy of twin SRF59s

Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:26 PM

Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:29 PM

Heard on Eton E-100 barefoot from Warwick R.I.

Note: this is the last of the salvagable notes spilled soda on them at work (had no choice but to take notes with me to work.)

94.7 WWJK Jackson Mississippi 12:32 PM EDT something about mississippi foloowed by Jack 947 playing what we want followed by blondie heart of glass 7/22/08

MarkWA1ION

FM DXers would certainly benefit from something equivalent to the
spectrum-capturing receivers such as the Perseus and RFSpace SDR-IQ
that are all the rage with serious AM broadcast band DXers.

Of course that technology presently strains at the storage of 800 kHz
of bandwidth, so grabbing any significant chunk of the FM band for
later analysis will require a quantum leap in receiver, PC, and hard
drive capabilities.

I'm sure the NSA has stuff like this already, but it will be quite a
while before Joe Ham does.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA

<<
I dunno. I just can't bring myself to use an ultralight when the Es
is in for FM DX. Gotta milk the opening for every station you can
and that usually means the top shelf radios. I got in on the Es from
yesterday and bagged 9 new stations from Oklahoma, Tennessee,
Missouri and Arkansas, but I used the car radio since these things
always happen when I'm at lunch.

Using an ultralight during a strong tropo opening might be more
interesting since you aren't under the same time constraints as you
are with short-lived Es. You have to play around when the tropo is
in, unlike when the Es is in.

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE
Proud daddy of twin SRF59s

starship20012001 <starship_2001@...>

I understand its better to be at good receiver connected to a nice
rooftop and have RDS on the receiver. However the point of the
ultralight was to go to the park and enjoy DXing away from the house.
The Eskip hit me off guard i was never expecting it. I wish there was
an ultralight with RDS !!! The ultralight is taken along for my daily
excercise pedal bike ride and slips into my money belt thing AKA fanny
pack AKA belt bag or pouch. there was no car radio or house radio
nearby at the time .