New Design 3 inch (76mm) Baby FSL Antenna-- a Tiny Thriller

Gary DeBock

In the latest of the "lean and mean" FSL antennas developed during the Pandemic, the new 3 inch Baby FSL was an experiment to cram the most sensitive 1162/46 Litz wire and the sharpest-tuning "384P* variable cap onto the shortest yet ferrite material-- the 100mm x 8mm Russian surplus ferrite rods. The result is a tiny little DXing firecracker weighing only 2.4 pounds (1.1kg). In the video linked below the new antenna boosts a daytime DX fringe signal from 980-CKNW (50 kW at 156 miles) from S1 up to around S9. All the parts necessary to construct his little monster are readily available, so hopefully it will make a serious dent in the Baby FSL waiting list  (4) New 3 inch (76mm) Baby FSL antenna-- a Tiny Thriller - YouTube

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Well done and thanks for sharing this, it looks like it works very well.
I love my 3" FSL and use it often.

Paul

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 11:55 AM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In the latest of the "lean and mean" FSL antennas developed during the Pandemic, the new 3 inch Baby FSL was an experiment to cram the most sensitive 1162/46 Litz wire and the sharpest-tuning "384P* variable cap onto the shortest yet ferrite material-- the 100mm x 8mm Russian surplus ferrite rods. The result is a tiny little DXing firecracker weighing only 2.4 pounds (1.1kg). In the video linked below the new antenna boosts a daytime DX fringe signal from 980-CKNW (50 kW at 156 miles) from S1 up to around S9. All the parts necessary to construct his little monster are readily available, so hopefully it will make a serious dent in the Baby FSL waiting list  (4) New 3 inch (76mm) Baby FSL antenna-- a Tiny Thriller - YouTube

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

How do you connect that to the radio? Does the radio needs to be fiddled with to allow this to work?

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 at 12:02 PM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] New Design 3 inch (76mm) Baby FSL Antenna-- a Tiny Thriller

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 08:11 PM, Frank Standford wrote:
How do you connect that to the radio? Does the radio needs to be fiddled with to allow this to work?
Hi Frank,

No wire connection is necessary between the radio and FSL antenna-- it uses inductive coupling.

The FSL antenna can dramatically boost up any radio signal received on a portable, once the FSL antenna is tuned to the same frequency as the radio. A detailed guide on using the FSL antenna is posted at  .FSL (Ferrite Sleeve Loop) Antenna Tuning Course - YouTube

 Gary

Gary DeBock

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 07:03 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Well done and thanks for sharing this, it looks like it works very well.
I love my 3" FSL and use it often.

Paul
Thanks Paul,

As you may know, your 3" FSL antenna was actually the "movie star" in the video posted 2 years ago at the following link. Your model uses 125mm long ferrite rods, while the new model uses 100mm long ferrite rods. As it works out with the Ukrainian ferrite selling cartel, the shorter rods are significantly cheaper  New Design 3 Inch (76mm) Baby FSL Antenna Demo Video - YouTube

Gary

Wow. That sounds like an interesting idea. It looks to work well. I assume they are custom built?

Paul Blundell

Yes Gary designs and builds these, they are amazing and I love using mine.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, 15:44 Frank Standford, <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
Wow. That sounds like an interesting idea. It looks to work well. I assume they are custom built?

Jim B

I have an old 6" fsl with 5 1/2' rods and 100/44 litz wire. It works well, but I am wondering if rewinding it with 1162/46 Litz wire would make much of an improvement?  thanks  Jim

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 9:55 PM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In the latest of the "lean and mean" FSL antennas developed during the Pandemic, the new 3 inch Baby FSL was an experiment to cram the most sensitive 1162/46 Litz wire and the sharpest-tuning "384P* variable cap onto the shortest yet ferrite material-- the 100mm x 8mm Russian surplus ferrite rods. The result is a tiny little DXing firecracker weighing only 2.4 pounds (1.1kg). In the video linked below the new antenna boosts a daytime DX fringe signal from 980-CKNW (50 kW at 156 miles) from S1 up to around S9. All the parts necessary to construct his little monster are readily available, so hopefully it will make a serious dent in the Baby FSL waiting list  (4) New 3 inch (76mm) Baby FSL antenna-- a Tiny Thriller - YouTube

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

_._,_._,_

FRANCIS WELCH

Gary  If you are going to make some of these could you please add my name to the list. I would be more than happy to pay in advance .
Thank you
Frank Welch
Worcester,MA

On Monday, June 21, 2021, 01:34:15 PM EDT, Jim B <jim01028@...> wrote:

[...]

Arthur Samel

interested in this

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM, Jim B wrote:
I have an old 6" fsl with 5 1/2' rods and 100/44 litz wire. It works well, but I am wondering if rewinding it with 1162/46 Litz wire would make much of an improvement?  thanks  Jim
Hi Jim,

Replacement of 100/44 Litz wire with 1162/46 Litz wire in any FSL antenna design would result in a huge increase in MW sensitivity, and is well worth the effort.

The 1162/46 Litz wire requires a 60-watt soldering iron or gun for proper installation, though, and costs about $1 per foot-- resulting in about a $35 cost for the coil and "pigtails" (for soldering to the variable cap).

Gary

Gary DeBock

Thanks Frank,

Sorry that the waiting list is up to about 20 now, primarily due to my lack of free time to make these. But I will add your name to it.

An upcoming full construction article may help to satisfy some of the demand for these Baby FSL's, since the design isn't that difficult to construct.

Gary

Jim B

Thanks for the response Gary. I just received a new 60 watt pencil iron last week so I am going to order 33 feet of the 1162/46 litz wire off ebay now.   Jim

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 5:36 PM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM, Jim B wrote:
I have an old 6" fsl with 5 1/2' rods and 100/44 litz wire. It works well, but I am wondering if rewinding it with 1162/46 Litz wire would make much of an improvement?  thanks  Jim
Hi Jim,

Replacement of 100/44 Litz wire with 1162/46 Litz wire in any FSL antenna design would result in a huge increase in MW sensitivity, and is well worth the effort.

The 1162/46 Litz wire requires a 60-watt soldering iron or gun for proper installation, though, and costs about $1 per foot-- resulting in about a $35 cost for the coil and "pigtails" (for soldering to the variable cap).

Gary
_._,_._,_

What would the cost of one of these be?

Gary DeBock

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 04:41 PM, Frank Standford wrote:
What would the cost of one of these be?
Construction cost alone is about $95 for this model, but because of the long waiting list these won't be sold anytime soon, Frank. The upcoming  full construction article should assist those who can build one, or have a friend that can do the job.

Gary

I have some experiance with building kits so I might be able to have a go at building one for myself.

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 12:33 PM
From: "Gary DeBock via groups.io" <D1028Gary@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 04:41 PM, Frank Standford wrote:
What would the cost of one of these be?
Construction cost alone is about $95 for this model, but because of the long waiting list these won't be sold anytime soon, Frank. The upcoming  full construction article should assist those who can build one, or have a friend that can do the job.

Gary

Kelly Jack

What length litz wire is required, I see Gary mentioned 35ft but the only place I can see the wire available is being sold in 10m (32 ft 9 inches) lots (eBay from China, is this wire recommended?) or in 60ft lots from a US ebay seller - which leaves a lot of wire left over and adds significantly to the cost.

Gary DeBock

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:42 PM, Kelly Jack wrote:
What length litz wire is required, I see Gary mentioned 35ft but the only place I can see the wire available is being sold in 10m (32 ft 9 inches) lots (eBay from China, is this wire recommended?) or in 60ft lots from a US ebay seller - which leaves a lot of wire left over and adds significantly to the cost.
Hi Kelly Jack,

The only 1162-46 Litz wire that I can personally recommend is sold by "Mkmak222" on eBay at the following listing  Litz wire 1162/46 for Amateur & Crystal Radio coil,Single layer insulation,60' | eBay

The listing is for 60 feet, but you can always ask him if he is willing to sell a 35 foot length for less cost. He has a 100% feedback record, and usually tries hard to please his customers.

A baby FSL can always be made with less expensive 660/46 Litz wire, but it will not be as sensitive as the 1162/46 wire on the lower MW frequencies. The "Baby FSL" in the design photo is a "no compromise" model, chosen for top performance in the smallest possible size regardless of component cost.

73, Gary