My best AM catch of the year so far!

Johnny

Edited

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a cool "catch" that I got last night.  Probably not a big deal to most, but it was fun for me.

From my location in Tecumseh, Michigan, I was able to hear WBAP out of Fort Worth, Texas for quite some time last night.  The distance from my location and WBAP is almost 1000 miles (973)!

I heard it at 9:00 PM EST on 1/06/2022 (2:00 AM UTC on 1/07/2022) on my barefoot Eton Mini.

Thanks,

Johnny

Paul Blundell

Nice catch and thanks for sharing this.

Paul

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022, 5:38 am Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a cool "catch" that I got last night.  Probably not a big deal to most, but it was fun for me.

From my location in Tecumseh, Michigan, I was able to hear WBAP out of Fort Worth, Texas for quite some time last night.  The distance from my location and WBAP is almost 1000 miles (973)!

I heard it at 9:00 PM EST on 1/06/2022 (2:00 AM UTC on 1/07/2022) on my barefoot Eton Mini.

Thanks,

Johnny

Peter Laws

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:09 PM Johnny via groups.io
<jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a cool "catch" that I got last night. Probably not a big deal to most, but it was fun for me.
It's *all* cool - congrats!

Keep a log. Doesn't need to be fancy-shmancy, but
date/time/frequency/call and maybe some notes about the programming is
all you really need (but I bet you end up adding more items).

Peter

--
Peter Laws
Editor, DX Worldwide/Tropical Band DX column
International Radio Club Of America
https://www.ircaonline.org/
N5UWY / EM15if

Johnny

Thanks guys!

Yep, I keep a "temporary" paper log for when I'm traveling VERY light....

But for the most part it's all kept in Google Sheets.

Johnny

Peter Laws

If I catch something of note while in the car, I just email call/freq
to myself (after pulling off the road and placing the vehicle in park
and applying the parking brake OF COURSE) and use the email timestamp
when I add it to the "real" log.

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 1:01 PM Johnny via groups.io
<jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks guys!

Yep, I keep a "temporary" paper log for when I'm traveling VERY light....

But for the most part it's all kept in Google Sheets.

Johnny

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Gary Vance

WBAP …Probably not a big deal to most

I don’t live too far from you and the last time I logged WBAP was November 2013.

WBAP used to be a nighttime regular here in Michigan.

I suspect the IBOC signal from 830 kHz WCCO Minneapolis MN has turned WBAP from an regularly heard station to a rarely heard station.

BTW, I think it is a big deal.

Congratulations.

73 Gary Vance

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Johnny via groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 13:10
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: [UltralightDX] My best AM catch of the year so far!

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi all,

Thanks,

Johnny

Johnny

Hey Peter,

Great idea on texting while mobile, some of my best catches have been with car radios!

Hey Gary,

Thanks, I appreciate that!  Very cool that WBAP is not so simple necessarily to receive, that makes me feel good!  

Appreciate you both!

J

Issac Quincey

That is such a great idea. At times I am tuning around while on the road and sometimes hear stations which might be of interest later on. 

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Monday, January 10th, 2022 at 7:39 AM, Johnny via groups.io <jlochey@...> wrote:
Hey Peter,

Great idea on texting while mobile, some of my best catches have been with car radios!

Hey Gary,

Thanks, I appreciate that!  Very cool that WBAP is not so simple necessarily to receive, that makes me feel good!  

Appreciate you both!

J