MW DXing

Peter Jones

I've listened to shortwave for many year's, but I'm interested to get into MW DXing. Can I ask what are the accepted modern ultralights with the best performance. I'm in the UK so need to exclude C Crane. I have a Tecsun AM-200 on order to use alongside any radio.

Many thanks

Peter

Paul Blundell

Personally, I have found the PL-380 and my Digitech AR-1733 both work well.

Paul

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 12:39 AM Peter Jones <jonesypeter@...> wrote:
I've listened to shortwave for many year's, but I'm interested to get into MW DXing. Can I ask what are the accepted modern ultralights with the best performance. I'm in the UK so need to exclude C Crane. I have a Tecsun AM-200 on order to use alongside any radio.

Many thanks

Peter

Richard Allen

Paul:

I know little about the AR-1733, but have had good DX-ing success with the PL-380.
Combined with an eight-inch FSL antenna I was able to log 3LO, Melbourne at 14,592 kilometers distance on a PL-380.

Good DX.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 18:51, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Personally, I have found the PL-380 and my Digitech AR-1733 both work well.

Paul

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 12:39 AM Peter Jones <jonesypeter@...> wrote:
I've listened to shortwave for many year's, but I'm interested to get into MW DXing. Can I ask what are the accepted modern ultralights with the best performance. I'm in the UK so need to exclude C Crane. I have a Tecsun AM-200 on order to use alongside any radio.

Many thanks

Peter

Is the PL-380 the best of the Tecsun models?

Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2021 at 10:04 AM
From: "Richard Allen via groups.io" <dx747j@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] MW DXing
[...]

Paul S. in CT

For less money than the Tecsun PL-series radios, The R-909 and R9012 are top analogs for about US$20 each. They will go great with your AN-200 loop. Each of these two radios run on 2 AA's and the batteries will last OVER 400 HOURS.

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl

Michael.2E0IHW

I concur : the PL-380 and AR-1733 are both good.
It was battery-leak that killed the latter :-(
Michael UK

On 05/08/2021 00:51, Paul Blundell wrote:
Personally, I have found the PL-380 and my Digitech AR-1733 both work well.

Here the band is so crowded that not having digital display is a huge disadvantage.

Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2021 at 2:42 PM
From: "Paul S. in CT" <dxrx@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
For less money than the Tecsun PL-series radios, The R-909 and R9012 are top analogs for about US$20 each. They will go great with your AN-200 loop. Each of these two radios run on 2 AA's and the batteries will last OVER 400 HOURS.

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl

Paul S. in CT

Then I concur, the PL-380 is a solid choice. To use the AN-200 antenna, off-set the PL-380 tuning by 1kHz to greatly reduce or eliminate the Soft-Mute effect.

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl