Multi-Use Radio DXing Kit - June 2021

Paul Blundell

I have recently updated and improved my "Ultralight Radio DXing Go Case". As my radio collection has increased, I have needed to find a suitable way to carry my radios while still providing them with a good level of protection. As I am also taking my "daily carry" kit with me more, I was struggling to keep all of this together and to easily have a way to split it when needed.

I ended up placing my 3" FSL at one end and using a piece of pine to divide this off, to the top of this I have attached a small piece of foam wrap, this goes over the top of my 3" FSL and provides some extra protection to this. I have also added some foam to the bottom of this section to keep it in place.

On the left hand side, I have added some dividers to keep my radios in place, this is thick cardboard which has had foam added and then has been wrapped in duct tape, this is about the best tradeoff I could make for weight / protection. I also have my earphones, spare batteries, log sheets and notebook on this side. I have also added a space for my "daily carry" radio case which is a small plastic clip seal container which stores my Digitech AR-1733 plus headphones and spare batteries. This setup provides the best of both worlds, I can grab and go my whole ultralight radio DXing case

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store multiple radios, log sheets, pens, notes, spare batteries and ear phones, everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my backpack. For $30 it provides a great level of protection. The best feature is that I can now easily split my kit, taking either the whole kit or just my "daily carry" kit if that is all I want to carry.

While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other radio storage need.

Photos: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/06/multi-use-radio-dxing-kit-june-2021.html

Peter Laws

Lol! Unrelated to your topic, the Subject: line made me do a triple
take! In the USA, Part 95 of the FCC's rules include several
"personal" radio services. 27-MHz CB is one, UHF GMRS is another, UHF
FRS (taken from GMRS and license-by-rule like CB), and a couple
others. In one of the FCC's periodic episodes of "we don't want to
enforce the rules, but we are happy to change them to prevent us
having to do that" they created a new service at VHF.

They took 5 frequencies in the 150-MHz range where vendors had been
selling utility radios for decades with only the briefest mention of
an FCC license -- think "blue dot" and "green dot" -- and created a
new sub-part ("J") under Part 95 and called it the Multi-Use Radio
Service. Like CB and FRS, it, too, is licensed by rule.

So when I saw your subject, I assumed you were DXing on VHF ... it's
Sporadic E season on the northern half of the planet at least, so
until I looked at your message this all made complete sense. :-D

It is always interesting to hear about the different radio services from over "your side of the world", here we have 27MHz CB and a UHF CB service which is 80 channels around 477MHz.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 2:23 AM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
[...]

Frank Standford

Once I get some radios, I might need a tool case like this. Where did you buy it?

Paul Blundell

This one came from Bunnings which is a large hardware store chain here in Australia. It cost me $35, they are around $50 now.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, 15:46 Frank Standford, <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
Once I get some radios, I might need a tool case like this. Where did you buy it?

Paul Blundell

Just an update on some changes, I have now removed the flap of foam that went over my 3" FSL and have instead added some extra foam to the bottom section. This looks better and stops it getting caught when I close the lid.

Photos: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/06/multi-use-radio-dxing-kit-june-2021.html

Frank Standford

That looks much more secure and professional. How heavy is the case with all of that in it?

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 at 11:07 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Multi-Use Radio DXing Kit - June 2021
Just an update on some changes, I have now removed the flap of foam that went over my 3" FSL and have instead added some extra foam to the bottom section. This looks better and stops it getting caught when I close the lid.

Photos: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/06/multi-use-radio-dxing-kit-june-2021.html

Paul Blundell

I don't have scales with me to be able to tell but maybe 3-4kg?

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 at 11:07 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io