Most used ULTRAlight Radio

Issac Quincey

What radio is the most and recommended on here? I saw that one person likes the CCrane Skywave.

Do we have a more popular brand and model of is it more a mix with some people having a personal preference on what they like to use?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Paul Blundell

Both the Tecsun and C.Crane brands seem to be popular.
I personally use a Digitech AR-1733 as my main "DX" radio and this works well for me, I have a review of it here: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2020/01/review-digitech-ar-1733-dsp-mwfmlwswair.html

I have a TEAC PR130 as my backup and a couple of analogue tuning smaller radios which I do use at times, more than anything for a bit of a challenge.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 2:10 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
What radio is the most and recommended on here? I saw that one person likes the CCrane Skywave.

Do we have a more popular brand and model of is it more a mix with some people having a personal preference on what they like to use?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

keith beesley

I think our fearless leader, Gary DeBock's preferred radio is the C.Crane Skywave SSB. Like Paul B., my current favorite is the Digitech AR-1733, very small and light-weight, easy to carry around and has a lot of features. Not the greatest speaker sound, a bit thin, but sounds fine with good earbuds or headphones.

Keith B.
Seattle, WA, USA

On Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:58:29 PM PST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Both the Tecsun and C.Crane brands seem to be popular.
I personally use a Digitech AR-1733 as my main "DX" radio and this works well for me, I have a review of it here: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2020/01/review-digitech-ar-1733-dsp-mwfmlwswair.html

I have a TEAC PR130 as my backup and a couple of analogue tuning smaller radios which I do use at times, more than anything for a bit of a challenge.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 2:10 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
What radio is the most and recommended on here? I saw that one person likes the CCrane Skywave.

Do we have a more popular brand and model of is it more a mix with some people having a personal preference on what they like to use?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

FenDrifter

It frustrates me that the digitech ar-1733 isn’t available in the UK, I’d like to try one.

Drifter

Michael.2E0IHW

I ordered my 1733 via the digitech UK website some years back.
It came directly from down-under with no problem.

It is a good radio, comparable to the PL380.

Michael UK

On 01/02/2022 09:03, FenDrifter via groups.io wrote:

It frustrates me that the digitech ar-1733 isn’t available in the UK, I’d like to try one.

FenDrifter

Hi Michael
Following up on your post I found the Digitech uk domain name up for sale? If you have additional information I’d be glad to hear it, but unless I’ve missed something in my searches I suspect no it’s longer available in the UK.
Drifter

Michael.2E0IHW

I feared as much. There just might be a UK retailer online somewhere.
Otherwise you might check for any pitfalls when ordering directly from Oz.
Michael

On 01/02/2022 10:33, FenDrifter via groups.io wrote:

Hi Michael
Following up on your post I found the Digitech uk domain name up for sale? If you have additional information I’d be glad to hear it, but unless I’ve missed something in my searches I suspect no it’s longer available in the UK.
Drifter

Paul Blundell

I would use mine with earphones 95% of the time, these sound fairly good.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2022, 6:25 pm keith beesley via groups.io, <keith1226=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I just checked the Jaycar site and they’re listed as out of stock, so I don’t think I’ll pursue it any further.

Drifter

FenDrifter

For any Skywave users out there, can I ask does it have the hellishly annoying soft mute manual tuning please? Even though I know my Tecsun PL-330 is a great set, I’ve almost stopped using it for that reason. It’s also why I find the the older Etón E-5 that I’ve just bought, so attractive.

Drifter

radiojayallen

Just be careful not to fall into the trap of trying to choose any one radio as the best or most popular. No radio is perfect...they each have strengths and weaknesses. The key is to find which one most suits your personal preferences and modes of use. I consider radios to be like tools in a tool box...you don't want a wrench when you need a screwdriver. As a long time collector/reviewer I have way too many radios but would be hard pressed to pick one as my favorite.

FWIW.

Jay

Nick Hall-Patch

According to Gary DeBock's extensive review at IRCA Reprint U-023 there is no soft mute on the Skywave.

IRCA Reprint index is at https://www.ircaonline.org/editor_upload/File/reprints/irca-reprint-index.pdf    There is a lot of worthwhile information in the Reprints, and not just about Ultralights.

best wishes,

Nick

FenDrifter

Wow, what a resource! Very many thanks for that treasure trove of knowledge Nick, I’ll seek out and read the relevant review.  And Jay, I fully understand where you’re coming from, because not only am I a newbie here, I’m also an old man 😊.
Drifter

Paul Blundell

You have made a really good point Jay. I love reading your reviews and find them helpful.

The radio market and the radio spectrum in all parts of the world is very different. I have a 5kw station on 1008kHz about 7km LOS from me, if I go even a couple of km closer, it knocks out stations on both sides on my AR-1733, but my TEAC PR130 does not suffer as badly. Somebody with a 50KW station close by, might have a different experience...

Different radios, in different locations, produce different results.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 08:47 AM, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
According to Gary DeBock's extensive review at IRCA Reprint U-023 there is no soft mute on the Skywave.

IRCA Reprint index is at https://www.ircaonline.org/editor_upload/File/reprints/irca-reprint-index.pdf    There is a lot of worthwhile information in the Reprints, and not just about Ultralights.

best wishes,

Nick
Thanks Nick,

I had almost forgotten that I had written some of those articles (lol).

The early days of FSL antenna experimentation were indeed fascinating, and if we had not used so much time trying to outdo each other in building the biggest gain monster we probably could have designed more practical FSL antennas a lot sooner!

Gary

Issac Quincey

Those are some really good articles and I have a lot of reading to do of them.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 08:47 AM, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
According to Gary DeBock's extensive review at IRCA Reprint U-023 there is no soft mute on the Skywave.

IRCA Reprint index is at https://www.ircaonline.org/editor_upload/File/reprints/irca-reprint-index.pdf    There is a lot of worthwhile information in the Reprints, and not just about Ultralights.

best wishes,

Nick
Thanks Nick,

I had almost forgotten that I had written some of those articles (lol).

The early days of FSL antenna experimentation were indeed fascinating, and if we had not used so much time trying to outdo each other in building the biggest gain monster we probably could have designed more practical FSL antennas a lot sooner!

Gary

Johnny

Hi all,

Honestly, I bounce between my Skywave, Radiwow R-108 and Eton Mini.  Love them all for different reasons.

All fun!

Johnny

Johnny

One more note...

I have acquired other radios as well (more than one person needs!), and I have tried HARD to find one radio that kind of "rules them all", like a super Jack of all Trades....  but it's true, then that radio is "master of none"...

I love Jay's Toolbox Analogy...

FenDrifter

Hi Johnny

I suspect that your opening sentence applies to all of us, it certainly applies to me! Having caught the bug I went mad, buying all sorts of radios, any that included shortwave. From monsters to littlies, mostly analog readout just learning really. I then discovered Tecsun, digital readout, and this group. It still didn’t stop me buying a Panasonic RF-2200, which is soon to be opened to have it’s switches cleaned. My latest acquisition is the old Etón E5 which I’ve already posted about. Like you I’ve quickly realised there’s no ‘master of all’, you just have to decide which radio has a set of features that you enjoy using

Drifter

Johnny

Hi Drifter,

Yep, I have a few radios (3 ish) that I seem to "keep coming back to", so I guess they are my favorites, LOL!

I really like all my radios generally, but these three are special!  :)

Funny thing is, they are probably some of the cheapest I own!

This hobby does not have to be expensive, it can be, but it doesn't have to be for sure!

Johnny