Latitude... Easier or harder DX?

Jorge Garzón

Hi,
Often I wonder if latitude plays any significant role in MW DXing. Apart of the logical differences with day/night patterns, could the geomagnetic field affects to propagation on MW band? Does the meteo conditions (or even the climatic ones) affect the medium wave proagation? Theory says no, but do we fully understand propagation principles?

I will try to log Pacific MW stations in my next DXP in Portugal and I will run a comparison in between terminated beverages, LoG, and Maynard's/De Bock's FSL. But my first impression is that, despite of the overcrowded band here in Iberia, and the short night path window to use, would be easier to get outstanding DX in Northern latitudes that in medium or low ones.

I am sharing this thoughts because even with the transpolar attenuation mentioned sometimes, Paul Walker has achieved very good DX records, and also a couple of outstanding ones were also achieved at Sheigra some time ago by British folks.

I am pretty sure that Van Allen belts plays an important role regarding VHF and FM long distance DX as they are driving solar ionization from the Earth axis N-S to the rest, but what about MW?

Your opinions are welcome!

¡Buen DX!

Bruce Conti

Geomagnetic conditions most definitely have an impact on MW DX reception.  In general, the higher latitudes will be impacted the most.  Note, for example, that the geomagnetic forecast at https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/report-and-forecast-solar-and-geophysical-activity provides separate indices and probabilities for middle and high latitudes.  In general, the higher latitudes under the auroral dome will receive farther south because less distant signals arriving at higher angles are blocked by the dome while the more southerly signals arriving at lower angles will slip under the dome.

--
Bruce Conti
B.A.Conti Photography www.baconti.com

Paul S. in CT

Latitude away fom the equitoral zone is classically important, but population density is also a modern factor. Urban/suburban noise is debilitating. So North or South 40-55 degrees with low population density is near-ideal... Newfoundland, or northern Quebec, Ontario, or Maine in my region.

Paul S. in CT FN31nl

I have personally found that the RFI and band noise in urban and city areas is making the DXer work harder for any results that are able to get.

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 10:55 AM
From: "Paul S. in CT" <dxrx@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Latitude... Easier or harder DX?
Latitude away fom the equitoral zone is classically important, but population density is also a modern factor. Urban/suburban noise is debilitating. So North or South 40-55 degrees with low population density is near-ideal... Newfoundland, or northern Quebec, Ontario, or Maine in my region.

Paul S. in CT FN31nl

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

Hello from the guy in a pretty high latitude.

Yes, it does play a signifcant role, good and bad.

Auroral activity can often kill even regional reception, such as the 50kw'ers from Anchorage or Fairbanks 250 miles away.

But I think being clower to the north pole.. while still far away but closer than most, plays into it as well

Paul