Topics

KKOH NV DX Test Heard in Central Indiana

Dave Hascall

At about 0304 ET I heard unmistakable CW ID for KKOH, Reno Nevada.  Thank you to Paul Walker, the station and everyone else involved.

The code ID was under WBBM.  I never heard anything else and I know that Paul has provided various stations with sound affects and tones designed to cut through the QRM.  I was actually surprised by the CW.  I had started to pay more attention to what they were saying on WBBM's newscast when suddenly I noticed pulsing somewhat messing with Chicago's news story then I heard the definite CW.

First Nevada log.

Logged on my barefoot Tecsun PL-606, making it one of my farthest Domestic logs on a ULR.

KKOH 780 Reno NV 2/16 0304 CW ID WAY under WBBM IL. First Nevada log. Dave Hascall Noblesville I

Les Rayburn

Dave,

Congratulations on the reception! We provided KKOH with the DX Test material which included the Morse Code ID’s that you heard. These were recorded at 700 Hz and 10 words-per-minute. The test also included various sweep tones, and telephone off-hook sound effects.

A few years ago while serving as CPC Chairman, I enlisted the services of a friend who is a licensed audiologist to test lots of different test material. This included Morse Code, sweep tones, marching band music, etc.

The tests determined that sweep tones were the most effective at cutting through noise, followed by Morse Code. Morse has the advantage of triggering the “pattern recognition” part of our brains. This is why we can sometimes make out a familiar song on a weak station, but can’t quite copy the identification.

Still waiting to review my tapes—not heard “live” but did manage to log a nice ID from Radio Coro, which is a new station and country for me.

Paul is in discussions with two other stations about DX Tests, and if he’s successful, we’ll be providing the DX material for them as well.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

On Feb 16, 2020, at 10:53 AM, Dave Hascall <dhinfomedia@...> wrote:

At about 0304 ET I heard unmistakable CW ID for KKOH, Reno Nevada.  Thank you to Paul Walker, the station and everyone else involved.

The code ID was under WBBM.  I never heard anything else and I know that Paul has provided various stations with sound affects and tones designed to cut through the QRM.  I was actually surprised by the CW.  I had started to pay more attention to what they were saying on WBBM's newscast when suddenly I noticed pulsing somewhat messing with Chicago's news story then I heard the definite CW.

First Nevada log.

Logged on my barefoot Tecsun PL-606, making it one of my farthest Domestic logs on a ULR.

KKOH 780 Reno NV 2/16 0304 CW ID WAY under WBBM IL. First Nevada log. Dave Hascall Noblesville I

Lincoln Thormahlen

I live in NW Indiana within ground wave distance to WBBM.  There was no way to hear through their signal, which I tested just a few minutes before the KKOH test with a barefoot Tecsun PL-380.  So I used the online kiwisdr in Spring Creek, UT to listen to the test.  I recorded the entire test, but alas it is a quite poor recording with lots of noise and a couple drop outs.  It is a MP3 file, but I am reluctant to upload it so that it doesn't get used for nefarious purposes.  Thank you for the heads up on the test, it was my first one of any kind even though it wasn't by my own radio.

Long time lurker in this group,

Lincoln

Ward Elliott

Reguarding the KKOH DX-test, I was also, able to hear Morse code beginning at 2:04 a.m. Central Time, lasting only a few minutes, under WBBM's city news format.

The equipment used was a PL-600 + TCF antenna.

Ward Elliott, from Dallas, TX.
Happy listening!

PL-600, PL-380, ATS-803A, PR-D5, PR-D4, TCF-Antenna, MFJ-16010 & 75' apartment wire.

Mike Sanburn

So glad that you heard the KKOH test. I listened to it on my Ultralight Sangean DT160 and heard WBBM here in SoCal as well. Mike Sanburn

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 16, 2020, at 8:53 AM, "Dave Hascall" <dhinfomedia@...> wrote:

At about 0304 ET I heard unmistakable CW ID for KKOH, Reno Nevada.  Thank you to Paul Walker, the station and everyone else involved.

The code ID was under WBBM.  I never heard anything else and I know that Paul has provided various stations with sound affects and tones designed to cut through the QRM.  I was actually surprised by the CW.  I had started to pay more attention to what they were saying on WBBM's newscast when suddenly I noticed pulsing somewhat messing with Chicago's news story then I heard the definite CW.

First Nevada log.

Logged on my barefoot Tecsun PL-606, making it one of my farthest Domestic logs on a ULR.

KKOH 780 Reno NV 2/16 0304 CW ID WAY under WBBM IL. First Nevada log. Dave Hascall Noblesville I

Les Rayburn

Ward,

I worked with Paul Walker to arrange for the DX Test, and prepared the source material (.MP3) file to KKOH’s Chief Engineer that was used on-air during the test period. Your report of Morse Code at 2:04 a.m. matches up with that file.

Nice catch! Did you hear any of the sweep tones during the test period as well?

On Feb 18, 2020, at 5:47 PM, Ward Elliott via Groups.Io <dwrd759@...> wrote:

Reguarding the KKOH DX-test, I was also, able to hear Morse code beginning at 2:04 a.m. Central Time, lasting only a few minutes, under WBBM's city news format.

The equipment used was a PL-600 + TCF antenna.

Ward Elliott, from Dallas, TX.
Happy listening!

PL-600, PL-380, ATS-803A, PR-D5, PR-D4, TCF-Antenna, MFJ-16010 & 75' apartment wire.

Jim B

I was just reviewing my recording of the kkoh test. The morse code around 12:04 est sounds like kcos. I also heard a series of 32 or 33 sweep tones around 2:56 or 1:56 est.  Jim in Springfield Ma.

Les Rayburn

Jim,

There seems to have been a nice “pipeline” from Reno to Massachusetts! Several reception reports from New England. Congratulations!

I literally had not a trace of the test here in Alabama, despite having a nice null on WBBM. Cannot really complain, because I logged a nice ID on Radio Coro, which is a new station and country.

On several recordings that I’ve heard the Morse Code sounded “strange”—and I’m not sure why. I’ll review all the tools that we’re using to generate the test material and get to the bottom of it before we do another test.

Glad to hear that the sweep tunes continue to cut through the noise like a knife through butter. Nice catch!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

On Feb 20, 2020, at 9:58 AM, Jim B <jim01028@...> wrote:

I was just reviewing my recording of the kkoh test. The morse code around 12:04 est sounds like kcos. I also heard a series of 32 or 33 sweep tones around 2:56 or 1:56 est.  Jim in Springfield Ma.

Ward Elliott

Less,

The CW was the most noticeable. I think I heard sweeps and marching music as well but they were so faint I wasn't sure about it.

Ward

Lincoln Thormahlen

Was there a time limit on getting a QSL for the Dx test from KKOH??

If there was a time limit, and we are past it, I could upload the recording I made of the test to the files section of the group.

Lincoln

Les Rayburn

Lincoln,

Paul and I will be happy to listen to the recording and attempt to verify your reception. We prepared all the test material, so we can compare it to the original recordings.

Please send it directly to me, or upload it to the files section.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

On Mar 14, 2020, at 2:10 PM, Lincoln Thormahlen via Groups.Io <tlcfarmer@...> wrote:

Was there a time limit on getting a QSL for the Dx test from KKOH??

If there was a time limit, and we are past it, I could upload the recording I made of the test to the files section of the group.

Lincoln

Lincoln Thormahlen

I uploaded the file to Member sound files

Lincoln

Les Rayburn

Lincoln,

Congratulations! I can certainly confirm your reception of the KKOH DX test. Solid copy throughout the test. I’m always amazed at how well the sweep tones cut through noise and interference.

Now to try to arrange some more of these. Give us all something to do during our quarantines!

On Mar 14, 2020, at 8:18 PM, Lincoln Thormahlen via Groups.Io <tlcfarmer@...> wrote:

I uploaded the file to Member sound files

Lincoln

Lincoln Thormahlen

Thanks,

Glad to share.  I did change the bandwidth during the fading of the first morse code segment, but it was just before the first sweeps started.  I noticed that the sweeps were wider in bandwidth than the setting so I changed it back to normal and left it for the rest of the test.  Good thing you could see that on the kiwisdr waterfall.  Too bad I didn't make a video of that.

I spent some time before the test looking at various western area kiwisdr's.  I have found that some folks setup the sdr to filter off the mw bcb signals, so I wanted to avoid that.  I also wanted to be sure that I was getting an over the air signal that was not a ground wave.  The kiwisdr used was in Spring City, UT, hosted by KA7EZO, located here: http://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php?Grid=DM49gk

I am all for more!  Please let us know of future DX tests.  I will only use a ultralight radio if possible to hear the test at my location, but I will use a online sdr too if it allows me to hear a test I otherwise could not.

Lincoln