Introducing the ULR DXing Chart-Index

Jorge Garzón

Contests and awards are some of the valid tools that radioclubs offer to promote the hobby and the joy of listening and/or transmitting. They are sill alive in the ham world, but have been vanishing little by little at our side of the hobby.

I am sure that we can awake some kind of activity to recover a kid of 'chart', not just with a competitive way to understand radiolistening, but also to share knowledge and promote DXing with our 'little ones'.

From the 'IberiaDX' group, we would like to propose an ULR DXing Log Chart to show the possibities in using ULR and small portables. So, that's why we launch what we call 'THE DXing ULR Index'.

This is a score log to be revisited monthly. The goal is to promote the listening skills and personal DXing challenges including the use of new antennas, or explore outdoors and find new listening spots to be used.

The DXing ULR Index will have two categories:
1. ULR* and small portables** with built-in ferrite (MW-LW) or whip attached (FM-DAB).
2. ULR and small portables with external inductive antennas (MW-LW) or FM aerials connected to plug-in socket

(*) ULR are non SDR receivers up to 328 cm3 (20in3).
(**) Small portables are non SDR receivers up to 500 cm3 (30.5 in3).
There is a table of receivers sizes on the blog http://iberiadx.wordpress.com by clicking on the 'ULR DXing /DX de bolsillo' menu.

The way to calculate the right index is easy:

DXing ULR Index=distance (in km) / txer power (in watts).
Example 1: 2,000 km / 80,000 W = 0.025 Index= 0.025.
Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.

The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.

I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.

We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.

73!

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

Paul Blundell

This sounds really exciting, I wish you the best of luck with this. I will be interested to see how some of my loggings relate to this index score.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Contests and awards are some of the valid tools that radioclubs offer to promote the hobby and the joy of listening and/or transmitting. They are sill alive in the ham world, but have been vanishing little by little at our side of the hobby.

I am sure that we can awake some kind of activity to recover a kid of 'chart', not just with a competitive way to understand radiolistening, but also to share knowledge and promote DXing with our 'little ones'.

From the 'IberiaDX' group, we would like to propose an ULR DXing Log Chart to show the possibities in using ULR and small portables. So, that's why we launch what we call 'THE DXing ULR Index'.

[...]

Do you have a template file or spreadsheet to use for this? Where would be the best place to post results and will you also be adding these to your blog?

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 4:24 PM Paul Blundell via groups.io <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
This sounds really exciting, I wish you the best of luck with this. I will be interested to see how some of my loggings relate to this index score.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Contests and awards are some of the valid tools that radioclubs offer to promote the hobby and the joy of listening and/or transmitting. They are sill alive in the ham world, but have been vanishing little by little at our side of the hobby.

I am sure that we can awake some kind of activity to recover a kid of 'chart', not just with a competitive way to understand radiolistening, but also to share knowledge and promote DXing with our 'little ones'.

From the 'IberiaDX' group, we would like to propose an ULR DXing Log Chart to show the possibities in using ULR and small portables. So, that's why we launch what we call 'THE DXing ULR Index'.

[...]

Hi Paul,
I am including the Excel spreadsheet to log the records. Feel free to use it and even add new lines.

The idea is to publish the results monthy in our e-groups and also in my blog. any other blog will be welcome to publish the chart with personal comments on the DX-listening made during the month, if any. This is also a personal tool to check conditions when DXing outdoors. All this info is valuable to be shared with other folks.

Saludos

En miércoles, 21 de julio de 2021 8:49:22 CEST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@gmail.com> escribió:

[...]

From the 'IberiaDX' group, we would like to propose an ULR DXing Log Chart to show the possibities in using ULR and small portables. So, that's why we launch what we call 'THE DXing ULR Index'.

[...]

Thanks for that, I am really excited about this. I will be updating my log file to also include this information.

Paul

En miércoles, 21 de julio de 2021 8:49:22 CEST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> escribió:

> [...]

>> Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
>> Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
>>
>> The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.
>>
>> I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.
>>
>> We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.
>>
>> 73!
>>
>> Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
>> (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
>> QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
>> Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
>> 39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)

I have just updated MWDXerDB to include this and have started to add this index against all my loggings, this might take a while.

image.png

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 9:26 AM Paul Blundell via groups.io <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

>> Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
>> Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
>>
>> The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.
>>
>> I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.
>>
>> We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.
>>
>> 73!
>>
>> Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
>> (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
>> QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
>> Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
>> 39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)

Wow, I can't wait to be a part of this and see what I can log. You have done a great job with setting this up. I like the log file too.

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 6:49 PM
From: "Jorge Garzón via groups.io" <iberiaDX@...>
To: "main@UltralightDX.groups.io" <main@UltralightDX.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Introducing the ULR DXing Chart-Index

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 4:24 PM Paul Blundell via groups.io <tanger32au@...> wrote:
> This sounds really exciting, I wish you the best of luck with this. I will be interested to see how some of my loggings relate to this index score.
>
> Paul
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX@...> wrote:
>> Contests and awards are some of the valid tools that radioclubs offer to promote the hobby and the joy of listening and/or transmitting. They are sill alive in the ham world, but have been vanishing little by little at our side of the hobby.
>>
>> I am sure that we can awake some kind of activity to recover a kid of 'chart', not just with a competitive way to understand radiolistening, but also to share knowledge and promote DXing with our 'little ones'.
>>
>> From the 'IberiaDX' group, we would like to propose an ULR DXing Log Chart to show the possibities in using ULR and small portables. So, that's why we launch what we call 'THE DXing ULR Index'.
>>
>> This is a score log to be revisited monthly. The goal is to promote the listening skills and personal DXing challenges including the use of new antennas, or explore outdoors and find new listening spots to be used.
>>
>> The DXing ULR Index will have two categories:
>> 1. ULR* and small portables** with built-in ferrite (MW-LW) or whip attached (FM-DAB).
>> 2. ULR and small portables with external inductive antennas (MW-LW) or FM aerials connected to plug-in socket
>>
>> (*) ULR are non SDR receivers up to 328 cm3 (20in3).
>> (**) Small portables are non SDR receivers up to 500 cm3 (30.5 in3).
>> There is a table of receivers sizes on the blog http://iberiadx.wordpress.com by clicking on the 'ULR DXing /DX de bolsillo' menu.
>>
>> The way to calculate the right index is easy:
>>
>> DXing ULR Index=distance (in km) / txer power (in watts).
>> Example 1: 2,000 km / 80,000 W = 0.025 Index= 0.025.
>> Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
>> Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
>>
>> The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.
>>
>> I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.
>>
>> We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.
>>
>> 73!
>>
>> Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
>> (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
>> QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
>> Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
>> 39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
>> Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX
>>

> --
> Paul

Where do I find this to use? Can it run on a MAC or PC only?

Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 10:30 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
> [...]

>> Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
>> Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
>>
>> The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.
>>
>> I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.
>>
>> We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.
>>
>> 73!
>>
>> Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
>> (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
>> QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
>> Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
>> 39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)

I have not updated the "public" version as yet, I want to make sure this new feature works before I publish it, it should only be a day or so as I have already added 25% of my loggins using it with no issues so far.
Sorry but it is Windows only.

Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 10:30 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
> [...]

>> Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
>> Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
>>
>> The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.
>>
>> I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.
>>
>> We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.
>>
>> 73!
>>
>> Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
>> (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
>> QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
>> Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
>> 39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)

Jorge Garzón

I am going to give a close eye to your software, Paul. Maybe could be translated into Spanish and be offered for Spanish MW stations, which is the largest network remaining in Europe.

Something interesting with the UL DXing Index is the possibility to check the real capacity of our ULR and small portables to receive a signal. We could set that 'this or that receiver' is able to achieve the ### UL DXing Index. Also make a comparison in between them.

Any of you are interested to send me his/her 5 best UL DXing Index by this coming Monday? With that I will produce the first Log chart to be shared here.

Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 10:30 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
> [...]

>> Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
>> Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
>>
>> The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.
>>
>> I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.
>>
>> We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.
>>
>> 73!
>>
>> Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
>> (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
>> QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
>> Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
>> 39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)

Yes I would be happy to look at doing that.

I will be updating all of my log stations with the new index number and will post my best ones, once I have them all done.

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, 17:30 Jorge Garzón via groups.io, <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am going to give a close eye to your software, Paul. Maybe could be translated into Spanish and be offered for Spanish MW stations, which is the largest network remaining in Europe.

Something interesting with the UL DXing Index is the possibility to check the real capacity of our ULR and small portables to receive a signal. We could set that 'this or that receiver' is able to achieve the ### UL DXing Index. Also make a comparison in between them.

Any of you are interested to send me his/her 5 best UL DXing Index by this coming Monday? With that I will produce the first Log chart to be shared here.
¡Buen DX!

Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 10:30 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
> [...]

>> Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
>> Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
>>
>> The example nr 2 would be a best DX index. The different indexes will be added to get an overall score. The higher score will give us the best DXing and most effective DXer. Records would be published monthly in our groups and blogs. Of course this has no connection with the Awards Program and has to be seen as a new proposal to be added.
>>
>> I would need some volunteers to build the first chart to be issued this coming august.
>>
>> We could also propose national coordinators (if any) in order to check some records or to help with any doubt about the rules.
>>
>> 73!
>>
>> Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
>> (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
>> QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
>> Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
>> 39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)

This whole thing sounds very exciting.

Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 10:30 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 11:15 PM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
The way to calculate the right index is easy:

DXing ULR Index=distance (in km) / txer power (in watts).
Example 1: 2,000 km / 80,000 W = 0.025 Index= 0.025.
Example 2: 2,000 km / 1,500 W = 1.33.
Overall index: 0.025+1.33 = 1.355.
Jorge and All.

My highest scoring Ultralight Radio catches would be a couple of New Zealand Longwave beacons (NDB's) received during the August 2020 Rockwork Cliff DXpedition in Oregon state  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mj6i4e4sg9j9gd54273nb35gb8r555fo

362-WK is a 25 watt beacon received on a Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight and 12 inch Longwave FSL antenna at 11,017 km for an index of 440.68  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/excs4zktu7gt6hrrhjf9lh9aeb2wi848

366-SF in Springfield, New Zealand is a 50 watt beacon received with the same gear at 10,977 km for an index of 219.54  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/fq8evx3btcenj14tonbpe5vcge2gufvq

We plan to go to the same wacky ocean cliff in one week to try our luck again!

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Those are some crazy high values Gary, I can't wait to hear about how your sessions go.

Paul

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 7:17 AM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

radiojayallen

An amazing looking location...be careful there!

Pedro Porres

Hi all,
Lately I'm a bit busy moving to my new apartment, I still usually read your messages. I just sent Jorge a file with the 5 listeners requested. I realize that in relation to the proposed index, it is more interesting to capture low power stations, although closer, than distant stations but with high transmission power. I hope this activity will serve to encourage new fans of DX and radio.
Best regards to everyone.

Pedro Porres
Cordoba (Spain)

Paul Blundell

Spot on Pedro. I ran some numbers on some stations and found that the lower power ones, even if they are fairly close to me, get much better index scores.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 7:25 AM Pedro Porres <pporres@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Lately I'm a bit busy moving to my new apartment, I still usually read your messages. I just sent Jorge a file with the 5 listeners requested. I realize that in relation to the proposed index, it is more interesting to capture low power stations, although closer, than distant stations but with high transmission power. I hope this activity will serve to encourage new fans of DX and radio.
Best regards to everyone.

Pedro Porres
Cordoba (Spain)

Hello.
My logs go back way too far and have too little information in places to be able to add this in for them. Anything new, I will be adding it in.

Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 7:25 AM
From: "Pedro Porres" <pporres@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Hi all,
Lately I'm a bit busy moving to my new apartment, I still usually read your messages. I just sent Jorge a file with the 5 listeners requested. I realize that in relation to the proposed index, it is more interesting to capture low power stations, although closer, than distant stations but with high transmission power. I hope this activity will serve to encourage new fans of DX and radio.
Best regards to everyone.

Pedro Porres
Cordoba (Spain)

Peter 1956

Exactly Paul, so there is no point me taking part in this, as I don't have any low power stations close to me. My long distance catches get a low index score. so no point entering them. This whole index concept seems flawed to me.

Peter

Paul Blundell

Given we are a world wide group, we will always have differences in the way things work and what might work for one group / area might not work as well in another.