Improving Pocket UL FM reception

Jorge Garzón

Following the subject about the Sangean DT-800 I tested it with a longer whip against my autoradio SKODA. Hope you find the ppst useful.

https://t.co/kyFsA7oKLu

Saludos

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX" 
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409) 
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
..................................................................................
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

Johnny

Hi Jorge,

What a great test!  I read the whole article with great interest, because I am going to test the same thing!

I just ordered a plug in extendable antenna (two days ago) and a set of "Rabbit Ears" to test in this same manner.

I love the idea of the splitter as I was not sure if this would work or not, but was concerned about strain.

Very cool!

Johnny

Paul Blundell

I found that a very interesting read.

Paul

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 1:16 AM Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Following the subject about the Sangean DT-800 I tested it with a longer whip against my autoradio SKODA. Hope you find the ppst useful.

Saludos

..................................................................................

--
Paul

Jorge Garzón

Thanks Johnny and Paul!

El mar., may. 25, 2021 a 1:18, Paul Blundell
<tanger32au@...> escribió:
I found that a very interesting read.

Paul

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 1:16 AM Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Saludos

--
Paul

radiojayallen

Interesting project! Did you try the DT-880's Narrow FM bandwidth setting for improved selectivity?

Jay

Jorge Garzón

I did it Jay, but I didn't find a noticeable improvement. I must say that I have to test better both filters on FM, as there are better stations to be chosen and test.

Narrow/wide positions are useful on MW band as I check this feature regularly with NA TA channels. 

El mar., may. 25, 2021 a 14:02, radiojayallen
<radiojayallen@...> escribió:
Interesting project! Did you try the DT-880's Narrow FM bandwidth setting for improved selectivity?

Jay

radiojayallen

Just remember that in FM a narrow bandwidth has a much different effect than it does on AM and may be less noticeable unless you are specifically checking for selectivity. Forgive me if you already know this, but on AM a narrower bandwidth, in addition to providing better selectivity, also reduces high frequency response as the  high frequencies are contained in the sidebands.

But on FM there is no apparent change in frequency response...only a subtle change (by portable radio standards) in distortion. So on a casual listen you may hear no difference e between a wider or narrower FM bandwidth but in tight selectivity cases you should see a big increase in selectivity. In my location the DT-800 does a better job at separating tightly spaced FM stations in its Narrow FM mode.

Again, forgive me if this is old news to you.

Jay

Jorge Garzón

You are right Jay! Very good pointed! That's why I will test it further choosing different stations where bandwidth filtering is more critical.
73!
J