Head to Head Test - Digitech AR-1733 v Kmart Portable Radio (JR-61H760) - AM Band

Paul Blundell

I have recently been undertaking some head to head testing of the Digitech AR-1733 and the Kmart portable radio (JR-61H760). This testing session was on the AM band.

I had planned on undertaking this outside but due to the weather, this had to be moved to inside.

All testing was undertaken between 1pm and 2pm on my kitchen table, using my 3" FSL. All signals were rated out of 7, with my 3"FSL being tuned for the strongest signal from each station.

FREQ

CALLSIGN

POWER

AR-1733

Kmart Radio

531

3GG

5000

4

2

549

2CR

50000

1

1

594

3WV

50000

5

3

621

3RN

50000

7

7

774

3LO

50000

7

5

1053

2CA

5000

0

0

1341

HPON GEEL

5000

2

0

1422

HPON MELB

5000

4

2

1503

3KND

5000

1

0

As can be seen from the results above, the DigitechAR-1733 had the edge on all frequencies checked. On average it was 1 - 2 points stronger than the Kmart Portable Radio (JR-61H760). Audio quality on both was about the same and on 621kHz (3RN) both produced an excellent signal and very nice audio.

Johnny

Very interesting!

The K-Mart radio did pretty well all things considered?

It must be that 621kHz (3RN) is a local station to you?  I tried to look up this station in proximity to you, but failed.

Maybe this station is like my WJR 760 here in the US?  Super strong (50KW) and "right next door" (40 miles)...

Thanks for the reply.

621kHz is about 450km away from me and is a 50kw station.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, 12:21 am Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Very interesting!

The K-Mart radio did pretty well all things considered?

It must be that 621kHz (3RN) is a local station to you?  I tried to look up this station in proximity to you, but failed.

Maybe this station is like my WJR 760 here in the US?  Super strong (50KW) and "right next door" (40 miles)...

Issac Quincey

That looks like an interesting testing process and method.
is that antenna something home brewed or a modified commercial product? I have never seen anything like it.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

[...]

It is a 3" FSL, here is a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZtYli09mTg

They are custom designed and built, a construction article on them can be found on the group.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 9:39 AM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Do you have a link to the article? I am semi handy so could have a go at building my own.

[...]

This might help.
https://dreamcrafts.app.box.com/s/mr7aec2o4fid5u4dc48xz0t6u9uto8xh

  Gary will have a link to the full construction article.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 12:01 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Phil Pasteur

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pnfm8909c77zjoy/3.5inch-FF-FSL.doc/file

This is for the 3.5" model. I am not sure that Gary ever got the 3" documented... at least not that I have seen. The 3.5 is very similar. I think it uses the same litz wire and variable cap. Different rods, maybe.
He also has articles out there for 5 and 7 inch models. Try a search.

Issac Quincey

Awesome. I will see if I can track down some of the parts and the gear to build one.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

This is for the 3.5" model. I am not sure that Gary ever got the 3" documented... at least not that I have seen. The 3.5 is very similar. I think it uses the same litz wire and variable cap. Different rods, maybe.
He also has articles out there for 5 and 7 inch models. Try a search.

Gary DeBock

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 01:30 PM, Phil Pasteur wrote:
This is for the 3.5" model. I am not sure that Gary ever got the 3" documented... at least not that I have seen. The 3.5 is very similar. I think it uses the same litz wire and variable cap. Different rods, maybe.
He also has articles out there for 5 and 7 inch models. Try a search.
Hi Phil, Issac, Paul and All,

Phil is correct-- the new 3" Baby FSL full construction article is still in the works. I've attached design photos of the 3 inch 125mm rod FSL model that Paul uses, and also an all-new design of a 3 inch 100mm ferrite rod model. Until the new full construction article is completed, technically skilled DXers can order the materials in the design photo(s), and use the 3.5 inch FSL construction steps from the 2016 article as a general guide to assemble your new antenna. I've also attached the construction parts photo from the new article.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Nick Hall-Patch

If you go to https://www.ircaonline.org/editor_upload/File/reprints/irca-reprint-index.pdf and search for "FSL", for "ferrite sleeve loop", you'll find all sorts of articles about FSLs, most by Gary, DeBock but some by others as well.

best wishes,

Nick

Issac Quincey

Thank you for the message and information. I will source the parts I need.

[...]

Peter Jones

Is the Digitech AR-1733 pretty much the same as the XHDATA D-808 apart from having the ability to use standard AA batteries?

DX Pedro

Excellent question, Peter.
I've been wondering what Chinese radio is this related to, since i cant actually buy the Digitech here in Portugal.

Many thanks

Paul Blundell

It is actually very much like the c. Crane skywave

Paul

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022, 3:24 am Peter Jones, <jonesypeter@...> wrote:
Is the Digitech AR-1733 pretty much the same as the XHDATA D-808 apart from having the ability to use standard AA batteries?

Phil Pasteur

Yeah except it is a stolen design and cheap pirated Chinese knockoff.... <SIGH>
Not saying it is not a decent radio... but knowing the history is good. C. Crane paid for all of the R&D, Chinese ripped them off, so they can sell them cheaper.

Paul, why the duct tape on the end of your FSL ?

Paul Blundell

These Digitech radios are sold by Jaycar here in Australia, I have had some issues with quality control but Jaycar have always been good with exchanges when needed.

The duct tape is to protect the end of it, when I had it in a hard case, the end would sometimes get stuck when I was putting it in and out. With my new bag, this is not as much of an issue.

Paul

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022, 7:34 am Phil Pasteur via groups.io, <ppasteur=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yeah except it is a stolen design and cheap pirated Chinese knockoff.... <SIGH>
Not saying it is not a decent radio... but knowing the history is good. C. Crane paid for all of the R&D, Chinese ripped them off, so they can sell them cheaper.

Paul, why the duct tape on the end of your FSL ?

Phil Pasteur

Dos the tape have any metal content at all. Just wondering if it has any impact on the performance of the FSL.
Some of the parameters of the antenna are important to keep things optimized. Like distance from the ferrites to the coils.
Probably a non-issue. But just the engineer coming out in me.

Paul Blundell

Yeah I don't think it has metallic content, I have not noticed any performance issues with it. I will take it off at some point, when I next buy a roll of new tape as I want to add some more to my radio case to hold some of the foam in place better.

Paul