HALF INCH 12.7MM IN DIAMETER FERRITE RODS.

Gary DeBock

Hello Peter,

     This is Gary DeBock, ferrite rod transplant enthusiast on the west coast of the USA.  Welcome to the group site, and to the worldwide Ultralight DX Team.

     As you may have suspected, half-inch diameter ferrite rods are no longer in production, and the only way to obtain them is to purchase old vintage portable radios from eBay or other sources, and remove the rods for your projects.  This is not an ideal situation, but currently it is the only possible supply source.

     If you need a high-quality half-inch diameter ferrite rod that is a full 7.25 inch length, may I suggest the Heathkit GR-17 and GR-24 portables, which occasionally show up on eBay, going for around $25 US.  Old Heathkit AM-FM stereo tuners from the 60's (AJ-33, etc.) also have half inch diameter rods, with lengths around 6.25".

     The procurement of 3/8 inch rods is much easier, and an experimenter in the USA can usually track down all he needs in short order.  Sony vintage radios (6R-33, TR-6400, ICF-S5W, etc.) all have a 3/8" by 6.25" rod of high quality, and other vintage radios by Panasonic and Sanyo also have similar rods.  These radios (with the exception of the ICF-S5W) are extremely cheap on eBay, and go for around $10-20 on average. Most of them are inoperable, which makes the tinkerer feel a little better when he takes out the ferrite rod  :>)

     There will shortly be an article written concerning my 7", 14" and 20" ferrite-bar transplant experiments in the Sony SRF-39FP ultralight radio, which have resulted in ultra-sensitive DX machines.  I hope this detailed article will help those who have interest in this fascinating experimentation.

                                                                                 73,  Gary

ferriterodman <peter.tankard@...>

A VERY BIG HI TO evey one in the ultralight dx group FROM ME Peter
Tankard a new member in sheffield south yorkshire in the uk.Can eny
one please help me I am trying to find some half inch ferrite rods
that are half inch 12.7mm in diameter and are six inches long or more
with very hI Q for the MW LW band I did have some back in the 198s
but I cannot find eny at all now.I will pay very good money for some
half inch ferrite rods that have got a very HI Q for the MW LW BAND
I am a keen dexer on the MW LW BAND and I have head meny local radio
stations from the US at night in sheffield very strong from the east
cost from st jons new fandland and new york and boltamore ON the AM
Band.I did triy amedon some time ago I sent them a sampull of the
half inch ferrite rod that I wanted but thay sent it back to me
saying that thay did not have that materall eny more.The half inch
rods that I had back in the 198s worked in eny transister radio I put
them in using the radios oun mw cail I did have to file the end of
the rod so the cail would slide on in some of the radios. I put the
half inch rod into the Q was so HI it overloded the frunt end of the
radio on strong local stations that are in sheffield and it made very
fint stations from over 280 mills away from sheffield come in very
strong as if thay were in sheffield and this was in the medal of the
day in summer.I would be very gratfull to eny one how can help me. I
cannot find eny half inch rod at all now in the UK I have been puting
ads in the radio magazeens for half inch ferrite rods in the UK for
years now.And somtimes I get a half inch rod sent to me but when I
try it it allwas seems to be the rong permability for the MW LW
band.I have head of an old sony radio that has Very HI Q rods in it
that was only sold in japan if eny one nows the modal nomber and the
years in witch it was made I would be very gratfull or how I could
get a hold of one.all the very best to all the Ultralight dx members
from peter tankard in the UK ps I hope you can all reed my email as I
am Dislexic. Please email me at peter.tankard@bigfoot.com if you can
help me.

Peter Tankard <peter.tankard@...>

HI Gary from peter a very big thnkyou to you I did not know that you can get the old half inch ferrite rods from old radios on Ebay I will get looking right away Best regards from peter tankard.D1028Gary@aol.com wrote:

[...]

**************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel
Guides.
Peter Tankard