Topics

Good night for DX


 

I live about 8 miles from the Gulf coast and DX here is excellent with lots of QRM free areas. Reception is pretty good here at my house even though there are 4 3,000 volt line 100 feet away. As long as I null the noise out I get good reception. I use a variety of commercial and home made antennas. Last night I was using my Kaito WRX-911 without any external antenna and picked up Fort De France radio RFO 1310 on the island of Martinique. It was clear and drifting a bit but not enough to loose the signal. 1,822 miles from here-not bad for $18.00 radio. Other stations WLS, WABC, KDKA, WHAS, and WSM to name a few. All in all a decent night.
73's
Ron


Paul Blundell
 

Excellent report and good to hear about what you can get "bare foot".


On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, 8:57 a.m. micron327 via Groups.Io, <micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I live about 8 miles from the Gulf coast and DX here is excellent with lots of QRM free areas. Reception is pretty good here at my house even though there are 4 3,000 volt line 100 feet away. As long as I null the noise out I get good reception. I use a variety of commercial and home made antennas. Last night I was using my Kaito WRX-911 without any external antenna and picked up Fort De France radio RFO 1310 on the island of Martinique. It was clear and drifting a bit but not enough to loose the signal. 1,822 miles from here-not bad for $18.00 radio. Other stations WLS, WABC, KDKA, WHAS, and WSM to name a few. All in all a decent night.
73's
Ron


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Jim B
 

From the causeway in Dunedin Florida, (it extends out into the Gulf of Mexico) I was able to log two stations in Alberta Canada using a barefoot Eton Grundig Executive Satellit. You can definitely have some fun with barefoot radios in the gulf area. Good luck.   Jim


Paul Blundell
 

Great to hear Jim. I love hearing what others have logged.


On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, 12:40 a.m. Jim B, <jim01028@...> wrote:
From the causeway in Dunedin Florida, (it extends out into the Gulf of Mexico) I was able to log two stations in Alberta Canada using a barefoot Eton Grundig Executive Satellit. You can definitely have some fun with barefoot radios in the gulf area. Good luck.   Jim


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Jim B
 

Thanks Paul, even though I do not own any ultralight radios, I enjoy reading all the posts and information people share on this forum, especially the exotic dx from ocean side locations.    Jim


 

I need to make an apology to the group. My id of a DX catch was incorrect. I was informed that the French language broadcast I thought was Fort de France on the island of Martinique was not RFO. All French AM broadcasts were shut down some time ago. SO it was either a Caijun, French or Haitian language program in south Florida. I go the coast quite often since its 8 miles from my house and do a bit of late night DX. Its amazing what I pick up "bareback" let alone when I put up my magnetic loop. I hear a lot of southern Florida stations, tons of Spanish and once in a while something that sounds like Portuguese. Brazil, perhaps? My favorite beach radios are my trusty PL-600 and as of late my Kaito WRX-911. In the future I'll be more careful of ID's before I post.
PS 760 WHAS, Louisville, KY and 760 WJR Detroit, M were booming in last night on my WRX-911 using a vintage 7 inch x 1/4 inch tunable ferrite rod antenna similar to the Greek model for sale on eBay. I got the plans from a You Tube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gc8HZLz5Ng&t=359s It actually works very good on both the high end and low end of the MW band. I had to re-wrap the rod  few times until it balanced out on both ends of the band. 26 gauge enameled magnet wire was all I have at hand so I used it instead of Litz wire.


Paul Blundell
 

Thanks for the update and this information. At times I have had to revise my loggings.

Paul

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 1:11 PM micron327 via Groups.Io <micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I need to make an apology to the group. My id of a DX catch was incorrect. I was informed that the French language broadcast I thought was Fort de France on the island of Martinique was not RFO. All French AM broadcasts were shut down some time ago. SO it was either a Caijun, French or Haitian language program in south Florida. I go the coast quite often since its 8 miles from my house and do a bit of late night DX. Its amazing what I pick up "bareback" let alone when I put up my magnetic loop. I hear a lot of southern Florida stations, tons of Spanish and once in a while something that sounds like Portuguese. Brazil, perhaps? My favorite beach radios are my trusty PL-600 and as of late my Kaito WRX-911. In the future I'll be more careful of ID's before I post.
PS 760 WHAS, Louisville, KY and 760 WJR Detroit, M were booming in last night on my WRX-911 using a vintage 7 inch x 1/4 inch tunable ferrite rod antenna similar to the Greek model for sale on eBay. I got the plans from a You Tube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gc8HZLz5Ng&t=359s It actually works very good on both the high end and low end of the MW band. I had to re-wrap the rod  few times until it balanced out on both ends of the band. 26 gauge enameled magnet wire was all I have at hand so I used it instead of Litz wire.



--
Paul


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX