Topics

FSL History

Paul Blundell

I have recently come across this website, it is a lot to read but gives a great history of the FSL and it's development.
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Media/fsi.htm

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Andy ZL3AG

The late great Graham Maynard produced some great antenna designs. I say the spiral loop antenna with q multiplier is the best ever MW loop. https://www.americanradiohistory.com/UK/Practical/Wireless/80s/PW%201981%2003.pdf

But you can put the "spin theory" stuff in the same box as Peter Brock's "Energy Polariser" https://jalopnik.com/how-a-box-of-magic-crystals-brought-down-australias-mos-1822559023

Nice guys that lost the plot.

On 12/05/20 1:54 pm, Paul Blundell wrote:
I have recently come across this website, it is a lot to read but gives a great history of the FSL and it's development.
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Media/fsi.htm

Michael.2E0IHW

Thanks for the link, Paul.

I had this article on the hard-disk,
but lost it, along with other files,
when the disk failed during a backup.

Well worth reading!

Michael UK

On 12/05/2020 02:54, Paul Blundell wrote:
I have recently come across this website, it is a lot to read but gives a great history of the FSL and it's development.
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Media/fsi.htm
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Gary DeBock

<<< The late great Graham Maynard produced some great antenna designs. I say the spiral loop antenna with q multiplier is the best ever MW loop. https://www.americanradiohistory.com/UK/Practical/Wireless/80s/PW%201981%2003.pdf
But you can put the "spin theory" stuff in the same box as Peter Brock's "Energy Polariser" https://jalopnik.com/how-a-box-of-magic-crystals-brought-down-australias-mos-1822559023

Nice guys that lost the plot. >>>

Thanks Andy,

Graham and I shared quite a lot of communication regarding the introduction of his ferrite sleeve loop design in 2011, as well as several other technical projects. But his weird "electron spin theory" certainly didn't bring him any scientific acclaim. and actually caused quite a storm of ridicule and repudiation (not to mention accusations of plagiarism, for using materials bearing some resemblance to a decades-old design by Polydoroff).

In the Ultralight group three determined tinkerers (Steve Ratzlaff, Kevin Schanilec and yours truly) attempted to avoid the firestorm of technical controversy regarding FSL antennas, and concentrated on empirical experimentation to determine the most effective components and FSL design for maximum weak signal sensitivity. All three of us devoted serious resources to the effort, sharing tips with each other (although we didn't always agree on everything). Unfortunately for Graham, the technical ridicule over the "spin electron theory" hounded him continuously after his article, overshadowing what was actually a very brilliant antenna design breakthrough, and decades of innovative antenna experimentation. Sadly, Graham passed away about 3 years after the introduction of his "Ferrite Sleeve" article, before I had the chance to meet him in person, and personally thank him for a design breakthrough which made a huge difference in my own hobby satisfaction.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Thanks for that information Gary. I sure am a huge fan of my FSL and love reading about some of the history of this and those who helped make them possible.