Topics

Finding DXing Locations

Paul Blundell

Hi all.

I am looking for some advice to possible DXing locations and what you look for in these?

Do you have anything specific which helps to narrow down a good location or do you try a lot and then come across ones that have something special about them?

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

C B

Hi Paul,

Proximity to the ocean is a great place to start. I have found Google Earth to also be handy to help identify the suitability of a site. Public park areas by the water work well sometimes. When selecting lodging I always do a Google Earth survey of the establishment. I find waterside picnic tables are handy places to set up. An Azimuthal (Great Circle) map developed on the AZ_PROJ: Azimuthal Equidistant Map website. A It's free and you can generate a variety of maps by plugging your coordinates into the software. Different map sizes and regions of the world you would like represented. Handy to add to your excellent DXPedition kit. The equidistant azimuthal maps can help identify the water path to DX. Due the presence of Australia to your immediate north, perhaps beach or ocean cliff sites affording long water paths to the east, west and over the South Polar region might be worth checking out. Grey line maps, available online can also help identify potential propagation paths. I hope this helps a bit. I'm sure others can expound further on this.

73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Friday, February 28, 2020, 10:55:57 PM HST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Hi all.

I am looking for some advice to possible DXing locations and what you look for in these?

Do you have anything specific which helps to narrow down a good location or do you try a lot and then come across ones that have something special about them?

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the excellent information Craig.

Until now I have pretty much just found spots as I have been out driving but want to be more organised. I am heading down the East Coast in a few weeks and have put aside some DXing time.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX