Digitech AR1458 AM FM transistor radio

Dan Merta

Here's a review video of a very small radio the AR1458 transistor radio.
At $16.95 from Jaycar in Australia it's good value. I have one & it has good performance on AM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYFmubMQHA

Paul Blundell

Thanks Dan. That is a good video. This is not a radio I have ever looked at much.

On Tue., 10 Nov. 2020, 21:43 Dan Merta, <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
Here's a review video of a very small radio the AR1458 transistor radio.
At $16.95 from Jaycar in Australia it's good value. I have one & it has good performance on AM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYFmubMQHA

Dan Merta

I'm currently in Melb listening to 2RN 576Khz Sydney on it. It's picking up most of the interstate ABC stations quite well.
Tuning is a bit of a challenge, But it's fun.

Paul Blundell

That is about the only thing I don't like, manual tuning. Still for the price I might get one and see how I go with it.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:28 PM Dan Merta <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
I'm currently in Melb listening to 2RN 576Khz Sydney on it. It's picking up most of the interstate ABC stations quite well.
Tuning is a bit of a challenge, But it's fun.

Dan Merta

Yes, It will most likely be handy to have a digital freq radio on hand to confirm stations received.

Paul Blundell

I am still interested in getting one of these, for the price it will be good to test out.

On Sat., 14 Nov. 2020, 13:28 Dan Merta, <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
Yes, It will most likely be handy to have a digital freq radio on hand to confirm stations received.

Paul Blundell

Well I grabbed on of these today, I will report back on how it works for me.

On Sat., 14 Nov. 2020, 19:51 Paul Blundell via groups.io, <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am still interested in getting one of these, for the price it will be good to test out.

On Sat., 14 Nov. 2020, 13:28 Dan Merta, <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
Yes, It will most likely be handy to have a digital freq radio on hand to confirm stations received.

Paul Blundell

Over the past few weeks I have been spending more time using this.
I have found that it's good for stronger stations (mainly the 50kw big guns from Victoria). I did test it out on the FM band on my most recent session at Mt George Lookout, this has a FM broadcast transmitter close by so it suffered from some overloading but once I moved away from this it gave decent performance.

I have just posted an update to this review, with my thoughts after using this more, this includes an improvement to the tuning dial feel and audio from the new earphones I am using.

https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2020/11/digitech-ar-1458-review.html

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:28 PM Paul Blundell via groups.io <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Over the past few weeks I have been spending more time using this.
I have found that it's good for stronger stations (mainly the 50kw big guns from Victoria). I did test it out on the FM band on my most recent session at Mt George Lookout, this has a FM broadcast transmitter close by so it suffered from some overloading but once I moved away from this it gave decent performance.

Johnny

Cool Radio!  Very tempting!

Nice review/website Paul!

Johnny

Paul Blundell

Thanks Johnny, I am finding that I am enjoying using it, it brings back memories of my early days in radio.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022, 6:05 am Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Cool Radio!  Very tempting!

Nice review/website Paul!

Johnny

Johnny

Hey Paul,

I wanted to get one, but pretty tough to find here in the US!

I could substitute my Sangean PR-35 maybe?  :)

Does the PR-35 cover the medium wave band? It looks to be FM/DAB+?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 7:41 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hey Paul,

I wanted to get one, but pretty tough to find here in the US!

I could substitute my Sangean PR-35 maybe?  :)

Johnny

Hi Paul,

Doh!!!!

SR-35, sorry about that!