Daytime DXing Records Suggested

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Carl DeWhitt suggested:

Today i logged KKLL -1100-Webb City,Mo from 0853-0900 Central time
with southern gospel music and network station i.d.s on the hour.poor
signal.
It is my most distant daytime log this far up the band on an ultralight.
To date,i have logged 9 states in the daytime on an ultralight with my
most distant catch being KLTT-Commerce City,Co -568 miles.
States heard in the daytime-Ok,Tx,Ar,Mo,Ks,,Co,,Ia,SD&Ne.
How about new categories for most distant catch during the daytime and
number of states heard during the day ?

Carl,

Great going!!!

I'd never thought to try this..... just right now with only your loggings (SOUTH DAKOTA, HUH?), I'd hate to add a whole 'nuther set of records... for 50 kw, 10 kw, 5 kw 1kw, etc. HOWEVER, if several people started daytime DXing, I'd first add just a single category for longest/furthest NON-COASTAL daytime reception and then if the interest built, add the full array of records.  I'd also strongly suggest that the daytime records be limited to daytime receptions  more than two hours away from either local sunrise or sunset.  Your KLTT would sure qualify.

True daytime DX (sunrise+2 hours to sunset - 2hours) , sounds exactly like something that I would enjoy this summer as I lay in the lounge chair on the deck.  What a great idea!

Thanks for the suggestion, Carl, lets see what develops.... and keep your loggings.... all of our records are retroactive when they are announced.

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest

robert ross

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

Carl DeWhitt suggested:

Today i logged KKLL -1100-Webb City,Mo from 0853-0900 Central time
with southern gospel music and network station i.d.s on the hour.poor
signal.
It is my most distant daytime log this far up the band on an ultralight.
To date,i have logged 9 states in the daytime on an ultralight with my
most distant catch being KLTT-Commerce City,Co -568 miles.
States heard in the daytime-Ok,Tx,Ar,Mo,Ks,,Co,,Ia,SD&Ne.
How about new categories for most distant catch during the daytime and
number of states heard during the day ?

Hi Carl.....that is a GREAT Idea!!! I think Daytime Distance Records would add a New Dimension to this already Crazy Subculture of our Hobby!! As a matter of fact.....after the Sprint Contest earlier this year, one of my Suggestions was to open up a "Daytime Only" Contest Category for DX'ers who wanted to enter the contest by logging ONLY stations heard during the daylight hours!! It is amazing just how far we can sometimes hear stuff during daylight hours....especially in the Winter!!!

So.....Here is another vote John, to open up a Datytime Only Record......even if we just keep it simple and say...."Any station heard during Daylight Time"....that's Plus or Minus 2 hours of Sunrise and Sunset....as you mentioned John.

I really think it would be interesting to see what can be accomplished in this Sub Category. If it catches on....then sure......open up the Various Power Categories as well.....

I know when I entered the Sprint Contest in the Spring....MANY of the stations I logged for the contest were heard during the Daytime!!

I'm glad to see that Carl suggested this......and I'm sure there are others who would like the idea!!!

And.....If Allen Wylie logs Africa....or John Bryant Logs Austrailia during Daylight hours.......I SURRENDER!!!! HAHAHHAHA....

73....ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

OK, fellas!

Lets found a Most Distant Reception: Daytime record that we may expand into transmitter power categories later.  Daytime is officially defined as that perior from Local Sunrise + 2 hours to Local Sunset - 2 hours. What I'll need for a submittal is just like the other records.... Date, Time, Frequency, Station, Location, Distance and you might as well record tx power.  If it is very close to the edges of that definition of Daytime, please do take care.... but as usual, the honor system rules.

Why don't you submit them here on the group so we'll see the level of activity.  I'll collect data for a week or two an then do a record update.

John B.

At 05:23 PM 6/7/2008 -0400, you wrote:

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

[...]

Carl DeWhitt

---
John:
I agree with your definition of daytime dx.It matches my own standard
i had set for myself.
I think these long haul dx catches in the daytime are the result of
enhanced ground wave that this area of the country is known for.I
believe this is enhanced after long term heavy rains that cause wide
spread flooding.These signals are all steady in strength although in
some cases weak as i think they would be for ground wave.I have not
noticed any fading or unsteady signals with these logs as i would
expect with skywave .During heavy flooding in the Midwest in the
1990,s,i received my most distant daytime log (on 650 )from
Nashwauk,Mn at 765.75 miles per the FCC(heard on a non
ultralight-G.E.Super Radio 3).I believe it was during this time i also
heard Chicago stations on 670 and 720 for my 2nd and 3rd most distant
stations.
By the way,i have corrected an error i made and have recalculated my
distance records.i will post them later .

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

[...]

MarkWA1ION

On Cape Cod, Turks & Caicos 530 at 1400 miles is easy enough to hear
on pure groundwave. Maybe not with a "stock" ultralight, but
certainly on one with a super-sized ferrite rod, or if passively
coupled to a decent size high-Q box loop. You would also be able to
get the Jacksonville, FL station on 690 from south-facing Cape Cod
beaches such as West Dennis. That's at about 1100 miles.

Transatlantic DX more than 2 hours before sunset has indeed occurred
at Massachusetts coastal sites in autumn and winter. Saudi Arabia on
1521 is the gorilla of the bunch, with a log of it from East Harwich,
MA at 1 p.m. EST / 1800 UTC once. A few years back in November in
Newfoundland, the DXpedition crew at Cappahayden had all-day Norway-
1314 at levels consistent with ultralight-capable reception. That
juggernaut is now silent, but I don't see why Saudi 1521, Croatia
1134, or some other megablaster could not allow a similar feat in
eastern Canada or even in New England states coastal areas.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

[...]

Yes, Interesting observations, Mark.... that's exactly why I suggested "non-coastal" loggings... which would more nearly give the whole continent an even shot at the record....  and, yes, we've had HLAZ in South Korea more than 2 hours after dawn... but rarely and coastal, of course (from Grayland :>)

John B.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "John H. Bryant"
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >I really think it would be interesting to see
> >what can be accomplished in this Sub Category.
> >If it catches on....then sure......open up the
> >Various Power Categories as well.....
> >
> >I know when I entered the Sprint Contest in the
> >Spring....MANY of the stations I logged for the
> >contest were heard during the Daytime!!
> >
> >I'm glad to see that Carl suggested
> >this......and I'm sure there are others who would like the idea!!!
> >
> >And.....If Allen Wylie logs Africa....or John
> >Bryant Logs Austrailia during Daylight
> >hours.......I SURRENDER!!!! HAHAHHAHA....
> >
> >73....ROB.
> >

> >Robert S. Ross VA3SW
> >Box 1003, Stn. B.
> >London, Ontario
> >CANADA N6A5K1
> >
> >Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
> >Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC
> >
> >Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)

Friday morning the 12th of June,i plan to test my theory about heavy
rains and widespread flooding causing enhanced ground wave
propagation.I read a news report on Yahoo that there has been heavy
flooding in Cedar Rapids and other parts of Iowa.9 rivers in Iowa are
said to be at or above historic flood levels.The governor of the state
has declared 55 of the state,s 99 counties disaster areas.So i will be
checking for 600 WMT Cedar Rapids and other low band as well as high
band Iowa stations.Other areas in the Midwest have been having
flooding,so i will look for other catches from the area.

-- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Carl DeWhitt" <carl_elissa@...>

---

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

[...]

--So far nothing unusual noted today as far new catches are
concerned.I did notice some seemingly enhanced signals from daytime
regulars on the low band.Stations on 540(Ia) 560(Mo) 570(SD)
590(Ne)610(Mo) to name a few seemed stronger than usual.Therefore,it
would seem worth continuing to check for some unusual reception via
ground wave.

- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Carl DeWhitt" <carl_elissa@...> wrote:

Friday morning the 12th of June,i plan to test my theory about heavy
rains and widespread flooding causing enhanced ground wave
propagation.I read a news report on Yahoo that there has been heavy
flooding in Cedar Rapids and other parts of Iowa.9 rivers in Iowa are
said to be at or above historic flood levels.The governor of the state
has declared 55 of the state,s 99 counties disaster areas.So i will be
checking for 600 WMT Cedar Rapids and other low band as well as high
band Iowa stations.Other areas in the Midwest have been having
flooding,so i will look for other catches from the area.

-- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Carl DeWhitt" <carl_elissa@>

---

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

[...]

Huelbe Arizon Garcia <huelbe_garcia@...>

Hi Carl, friends

here in South Brazil I've talked a few times with other radio listeners
about weather impact on LW/MW propagation. Like you, we more or less see
a correlation between rains and improvement of certain stations. It was
not 'scientific' documented, however :)

Another correlation is related to air pressure and LW/NDB propagation. A
friend of mine (he worked at our Air Force as navigational aids
engineer) said he saw several times large low pressure zones helping
pulling air masses and also NDB signals :).

Good listenings!

--hg

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:03:57 -0000, "Carl DeWhitt"
<carl_elissa@yahoo.com> said:
Friday morning the 12th of June,i plan to test my theory about heavy
rains and widespread flooding causing enhanced ground wave
propagation.I read a news report on Yahoo that there has been heavy
flooding in Cedar Rapids and other parts of Iowa.9 rivers in Iowa are
said to be at or above historic flood levels.The governor of the state
has declared 55 of the state,s 99 counties disaster areas.So i will be
checking for 600 WMT Cedar Rapids and other low band as well as high
band Iowa stations.Other areas in the Midwest have been having
flooding,so i will look for other catches from the area.

-- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Carl DeWhitt" <carl_elissa@...>

---

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

[...]

Huelbe Arizon Garcia