Topics

Cruise ship dxing

Carl DeWhitt

I will soon by leaving on a southern Caribbean cruise.Our cabin has a balcony which may be good to dx from. I plan to take along a newly acquired C.Crane Skywave SSB ,a Grundig G2 and possibly a Tecsun PL-380.Has anyone in the group done any cruise ship dxing ? Do any of you have any recommendations ? Thanks for any help.Carl DeWhitt,KI5SF,Maryville,TN

Paul Blundell

I am off on a cruise next week but won't have any radio time, saving that for when I get back.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:23 AM Larry Smith via Groups.Io <larfla2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Never did it from a big cruise ship, but did a number of times from US Navy warships with mixed results. A lot of electronic noise from search and missile radars and such. Plus you are wrapped in a steel Faraday Cage of sorts. Perhaps up on the main decks outside in the relative clear on big cruise ship may work better. I had some luck on a Carrier in the flight deck catwalks, but underway the search radars would sweep the signals every 30 seconds or so, as I recall. Onboard  smaller ships, not very much luck. And my time on brown water gunboats didn't allow me the time for hobby radio. You can also do it ashore on the beach with good results, but on a vacation cruise that probably isn't a priority. Regards.

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Andy ZL3AG

My prediction is that the QRM will be horrendous.

Sorry!

On 5/11/19 12:50 am, Carl DeWhitt wrote:
I will soon by leaving on a southern Caribbean cruise.Our cabin has a balcony which may be good to dx from. I plan to take along a newly acquired C.Crane Skywave SSB ,a Grundig G2 and possibly a Tecsun PL-380.Has anyone in the group done any cruise ship dxing ? Do any of you have any recommendations ? Thanks for any help.Carl DeWhitt,KI5SF,Maryville,TN
_._,_._,_

Tony Magon

I would suggest that you go outside, down aft (at the back end) it should be a lot electrically quiet.

73

Tony Magon VK2IC

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 6:45 PM Andy ZL3AG via Groups.Io <zl3ag=radioengineering.com@groups.io> wrote:

My prediction is that the QRM will be horrendous.

Sorry!

On 5/11/19 12:50 am, Carl DeWhitt wrote:
> I will soon by leaving on a southern Caribbean cruise.Our cabin has a balcony which may be good to dx from. I plan to take along a newly acquired C.Crane Skywave SSB ,a Grundig G2 and possibly a Tecsun PL-380.Has anyone in the group done any cruise ship dxing ? Do any of you have any recommendations ? Thanks for any help.Carl DeWhitt,KI5SF,Maryville,TN
> _._,_._,_

Jim Hill

I did some beacon band DXing from a cruise ship many years ago, and had no problems.  Many fluorescent lights, but the weather protection seemed to shield the lights.  I used a battery operated portable radio on deck, near the rail.
Jim

At 03:50 AM 11/4/2019, you wrote:
I will soon by leaving on a southern Caribbean cruise.Our cabin has a balcony which may be good to dx from. I plan to take along a newly acquired C.Crane Skywave SSB ,a Grundig G2 and possibly a Tecsun PL-380.Has anyone in the group done any cruise ship dxing ? Do any of you have any recommendations ? Thanks for any help.Carl DeWhitt,KI5SF,Maryville,TN

Deron Thomas Lundy

I have done a little bit of cruise ship DX’ing, too.  I have mostly used my Sony 7600GR with the whip antenna. Anything with good reception from just the built-in antenna should work well on a ship. Good headphones are a must, and I have brought my Sony MDR-7506 cans with me.

I actually have had good experiences listening on board. Looking over a log I made on a cruise in 2013, I managed to catch a few countries that were new to me, and it looked like Middle Eastern stations were coming in very well on that trip! I thought that interference was definitely better than it is in the built-up suburban areas I have lived. One disappointment is with MW and LW listening. I have never caught any MW stations of note, and I have not heard any LW broadcast stations.

Most of my listening has been done in a lounge chair on deck somewhere, on the balcony, or even while relaxing on a beach reading a book. I don’t have the chance to either read for fun or SWL’ing much, so they are both great ways for me to relax on vacation!!

Deron, K8OSU

--
Dr. Deron Thomas Lundy, PharmD, MS, BCCCP
deron.lundy@..., lundy.13@...

kevin asato

Cruise ships are probably much noisier now since 2013 as more and more of them are deploying cellular and wifi services on board. I have trouble listening to local AM on land at times as many of my work areas involve communication sites including cellular equipment..
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 6:59:29 PM PST, Deron Thomas Lundy <deron.lundy@...> wrote:

[...]

Theo

I disagree.

Out on open deck, I've found on several cruises (number seven comes up to two weeks) that the ships have been amazingly quiet.  Obviously you're not gonna be trying inside a steel-plate enclosed cabin/stateroom/inside lounge, but be exposed outdoors... with no problem using a decent hand-held such as the Tecsun PL-380.

The Big Challenge is avoiding close range lighting (so seeing can be interesting at night if you're trying to take notes) and sheltering from wind for comfort, which can be a nuisance even in warmer climes.

Walt Salmaniw from Victoria, BC has proved all this on several occasions... including stuff I experienced during late evenings north of NZ heading from Auckland to Tonga and beyond.

The 380 off the coast of South Africa/Namibia provided outstanding reception up into the Mediterranean and Middle East, along with what at the time was a mystery in Chinese on 1098... which turned out to be CNR 11's 1000kW tx from Golmud.  It helps that South Africa isn't exactly a big AM user.

Identifying what you're hearing is going to be interesting but, hey, that keeps the grey cells alive.  Explaining to other passengers is the same as on dry land -- crew members can be inquisitive... late-night visits to a higher, exposed deck can be checked!

And even mid-afternoon snoozing with an extended antenna poking through the deck railing earned me a visit from a Senior Officer to prove I wuzn't 'fishing' over the side!  I kid you not... he admitted his wife (so that's how Senior he was) had reported me.

You'll hear tons... enjoy it all.

TD

Phil EVG

Hi
Seriously consider a good antenna DXing barefoot is nigh unto cruel and unusual punishment, IMHO thus denying you your Constitutional Rights under 8th Amendment if the US Constitution as well as Section 12 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

I suggest one of the newly arrived SDR Accessories on eBay, Amazon, AliExpress, etc., the MLA-30 Magnetic Loop Antenna
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MLA-30-Loop-Antenna-Active-Receiving-Antenna-100kHz-30MHz-for-Short-Wave-Radio-/283529483468   A $30 Antenna that plays in the league as the Big Guys W6LVP, KR1ST, Wellbrook, MFJ, etc..
While you're at it consider a $25 Mini Whip as well

thanx
73 de jordan ve7jjd
ps; ultraligtdx FSL Antennas One of Gary's Airport Friendly versions

MLA-30 Loop Antenna Active Receiving Antenna 100kHz - 30MHz for Short Wave Radio

The MLA-30 loop antenna is a popular broadband antenna

  • It is an effective antenna for short-wave listeners (SWL) and amateur radio enthusiasts (HAM) to receive medium-wave and short-wave in the limited living area of the city
  • The MLA-30 loop antenna is easy to install and can be easily installed on balconies, rooftops, and other small, compact, low-profile installations without worrying about neighbors and property opposition
  • Another advantage of the MLA-30 loop antenna is that it is directional
  • By rotating the antenna so that the antenna's dummy point is aligned with the interference signal, the specific near-field interference can be minimized

The MLA-30 is such an antenna. The MLA-30 is a toroidal magnetic antenna.
        The MLA-30 loop antenna is a popular broadband antenna. It is an effective antenna for short-wave listeners (SWL) and amateur radio enthusiasts (HAM) to receive medium-wave and short-wave in the limited living area of the city. Frequency coverage: 100kHz to 30 MHz. Excellent directionality can help you reduce noise and improve the signal-to-noise ratio, and can dig out weak signals that are overwhelmed by noise when conventional antennas are received.
       The MLA-30 loop antenna is easy to install and can be easily installed on balconies, rooftops, and other small, compact, low-profile installations without worrying about neighbors and property opposition.
       Another advantage of the MLA-30 loop antenna is that it is directional. By rotating the antenna so that the dummy point of the antenna is aligned with the interfering signal, the specific near-field interference can be minimized.
Details of the MLA-30 loop antenna:
Do not connect it to the transmitter as it will cause the preamplifier to be damaged.
Local radiation noise suppression up to 30 dB compared to long-haul antennas
8-shaped patterning provides deep dummy points to further reduce interference
USB power supply, convenient to take power. Self-contained feeders simplify the installation process.
Simple structure, easy to install to the balcony, rooftop, and other locations.
No manual adjustment required
Install low-key, no need to worry about neighbors and properties.
Modular design, easy to install and maintain.
Stainless steel ring vibrator, easy to install and easy to maintain.
Rainproof enclosure for long-term fixed outdoor use.
Main coverage: 100kHz to 30 MHz

note: Need to prepare a PVC sheath tube for support, any diameter, need to pay attention to the need to have a certain strength, any community hardware store can buy. You can also use existing bamboo poles, wood poles, etc., and be careful not to use metal rods.
Note: Please allow minor errors due to manual measurement.
Item color displayed in photos may be showing slightly different since monitors are not calibrated same.

Package Contents:
The MLA-30 amplifier with 10M cable, Stainless steel vibrator, Bias supply, USB cable 0.8 m,
60cm SMA jumper cable, Stainless steel fixing screws

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 6:27 PM Theo via Groups.Io <theod438=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, your US or Canadian Constitutional Rights take a back seat to Captain Ahab and crew who have ultimate authority as to what is proper conduct on board the ship. All kidding aside about the Captain Ahab reference but it is best to have your activities cleared ahead of time. Like anything else, your activities can appear to be suspicious given the current climate of fear of global terrorism and an uninformed populous on board the ship. You may wish to start by contacting the cruise line company about their policies as well as attempting to contact the ship's captain or Radio Officer about your intentions to get their permission to operate/listen.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 10:08:28 PM PST, Phil EVG <phil@...> wrote:

[...]

Mount an active antenna beside a small camera on a tripod. A camera on a tripod looks a lot less weird than an antenna by itself.

On 7/11/19 9:13 pm, kevin asato via Groups.Io wrote:
Unfortunately, your US or Canadian Constitutional Rights take a back seat to Captain Ahab and crew who have ultimate authority as to what is proper conduct on board the ship. All kidding aside about the Captain Ahab reference but it is best to have your activities cleared ahead of time. Like anything else, your activities can appear to be suspicious given the current climate of fear of global terrorism and an uninformed populous on board the ship. You may wish to start by contacting the cruise line company about their policies as well as attempting to contact the ship's captain or Radio Officer about your intentions to get their permission to operate/listen.
73,
kevin
kc6pob
On Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 10:08:28 PM PST, Phil EVG <phil@...> wrote:

K7DWI Art

I took the Inside Passage to Alaska cruise in August/September of 2002 on Norwegian Cruise Lines.
I had an outside cabin near the front of the ship. No balcony, but a large rectangular window with an inside sill large enough to place my Sony ICF-2003 and a Radio Shack Medium Wave Loop (Tecsun AN-100 Look-a-Like).
The first morning of the cruise, we ran into a very nasty gale. Propably a typhoon that became extra-tropical. It lasted the entire time we were outside the inside passage.
I survived on the patch for sea-sickness, Preparation-H :( and a $500+ Bar tab. I saw blue skies the first night, the morning at Glacier Bay and the morning we arrived back at Seattle.
Our cabin was on the port side (left). Reception was not so hot going up to Alaska, but was fairly good on the way back. With the radio/antenna combination, I clearly heard AMBC stations from Anchorage to San Francisco. Seattle and Canadian coastal stations were very clear. I don't recall how Shortwave was since I didn't concentrate on that.
I recall the Solar conditions were not good at all. In fact, there was Aurora during the trip, just we couldn't see it :(. The gale was so severe that the second night laying in the top deck jacuzzi, I couldn't see the boiler towers on the ship.
Have fun. Enjoy the cruise and the vacation. Don't spend too much time on the radio.
73 Art K7DWI now in Grants Pass OR

Phil EVG

Check out the Photos

Phil EVG

[UltralightDX] Hawaii DXpedition Final Day-- 400w Australian Bonanza!

Inbox

Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io>

Attachments4:03 PM (2 hours ago)
to main
     On the final day of last year's Poipu, Hawaii DXpedition exceptional long range Asian propagation hit the Kauai beach, with Oman, Iran, India (2), Bangladesh, Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam all received on a 5" FSL antenna. This year's final day also featured exceptional propagation, but from a different direction-- Australia.
     A collection of relatively obscure 400 watt Australian stations are on frequencies from 1611 to 1701 kHz, and although several of these are regular catches with SDR's and large broadband antennas on flat west coast ocean beaches, they are not common fare on small, live DXing FSL antennas-- which tune one frequency at a time, and have a reputation for best performance on the low band. Despite this, on the morning of November 7th the Kauai, Hawaii propagation provided a rare thrill-- multiple 400 watt Australian HPONS stations at great strength on the X Band, including several at S9-- easily received on my portable 5" diameter FSL antenna. To provide even more enhancement, Australian DXpedition partner Chris Rogers was right by my side, providing background information on several of these obscure, flea-power stations.            This was far and away the best Australian propagation of the entire DXpedition, and we had a blast exploiting it! Attached are some photos from the final day morning session, including Chris and I with our respective live DXing gear (Chris was using a Tecsun PL-880 and 20" PK loop while seated at a picnic table, while I was standing up, using a 7.5" loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight and 5" Frequent Flyer FSL on a 5' PVC base). Chris is an awesome DXer who made out like a bandit tracking down South American and African DX in Rarotonga last June-- and he provided a lot of "on the job training" to help Craig and I improve our sunset DXing strategy!

1611   Three Australian Mix   Pandemonium breaks out at 1620 UTC as three low power stations mix together at good strength, one of which is almost certainly Vision Radio Network, according to Chris  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mru2w7od0jofcy2d0zu9291fkr3ha104
1620   4KZ   According to Chris this 400w station has the best antenna of any of these HPONS stations, personally installed by Chris' friend Al Kirton (while the other stations' antennas are "nothing special"). The antenna was sure doing the trick at a powerful level during a call-in talk show at 1618  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/1trwkqq6xc9h9gbymribu8i630gwks6n
1629  UnID    Good level conversation about the release of a music album at 1624--  maybe 2HRN?  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/xkykqt1ps7k535ab359na99e2x3i242x
1638  UnID   Arabic (?) at very good level at 1629  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/vvq3dsfpn9erin96z762qr5qmflki79x
1656  Voice of the Australian Chinese (+ UnID)   Chinese music station with S9 peaks at 1631 prevailing over weaker UnID male "talker" station  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/o7lim33qfmj217xqmgjclnpt0hbgow0v
1665  UnID   Weak male "talker" station rising above the noise level at 1642, with co-channel flutter from something even weaker  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mjkrf4g0wdjgkm0jmhpja71fffso62nz
1701  Radio Brisvani   Distinctive South Asian music with S9 peaks at 1614-- definitely one of the stars of the session  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/yah56zm6cwqplakzpnlhk9800jwzz6cj
           Keeping up its S9 strength at 1648  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/8xr0pspg13slny760e45gr5009h3atky
1701  UnID   Weak male "talker" co-channel giving Brisvani some temporary competition at 1637, but soon swallowed up by the South Asian music  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/3s3mwgi6z2059jhxxzql1c1ufppltn2t

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing with Craig Barnes and Chris Rogers at Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii from November 2-7)
7.5" loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight + 5" Frequent Flyer FSL antenna (on a 5' PVC base)

2 Attachments

main@...

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 6:54 PM Phil EVG <phil@...> wrote:
Check out the Photos