Topics

coupling loop

Dean wayman

Hi:

I was just thinking ;
I"ve have made a   dirty- lash-up  coupling loop for another project ,this is the first attempt that i have made and i want to get it right ,,but i was thinking is there a relationship between turns on the coupling loop (that sets next to the radio ) and the pickup loop on a FSL ? , ,,Should they be the same uH or different values ?

I'm thinking about  max transfer to the radio of the fsl ,,and effects on the loop too ,,any ideas ? thoughts ?

Thanks
Dean

Steve Ratzlaff

Hi Dean,

I'm not sure what you're trying to do but in the Files, the opening page at the bottom is a .pdf called "matching transformers using binocular core". Maybe that will give you some ideas.

https://ultralightdx.groups.io/g/main/files/5%20Antennas%20and%20Equipment/Matching%20transformers%20using%20Binocular%20%20Core.pdf

I've never tried coupling a FSL to a radio other than the usual inductive coupling by setting the radio near the FSL.

73,

Steve

On 11/15/2019 6:13 PM, Dean wayman wrote:
Hi:

I was just thinking ;
I"ve have made a   dirty- lash-up  coupling loop for another project ,this is the first attempt that i have made and i want to get it right ,,but i was thinking is there a relationship between turns on the coupling loop (that sets next to the radio ) and the pickup loop on a FSL ? , ,,Should they be the same uH or different values ?

I'm thinking about  max transfer to the radio of the fsl ,,and effects on the loop too ,,any ideas ? thoughts ?

Thanks
Dean

mediumwavedx

Hi Dean,

I use this coupling method all the time.

Example, I have a 25 ft. vertical in the back yard connected with coax through an RF Systems 9:1 Magnetic balun at the base of the vertical. The coax runs into the house. Now how to couple that to the radio.

Find an old 4 inch ferrite bar. Strip the coax and using the two ends, wind about 15 turns  of insulated wire (#24 telephone wire works well) around the ferrite bar. Connect the coil to the ends of the coax.

The number of turns is not totally important but you don't want or need too many and you want enough to make a difference. You're not tuning a circuit here, just providing inductive field to couple to the radio.

Have fun!

Bill
SW Arizona
RADIO-TIMETRAVELLER