Couple new radios on the way!!!

Johnny

Hi all,

As new radio purchases are always exciting and difficult to explain to "non-radio" people, I thought I'd share with the group.

New additions to my UltralightDX team are:
  • C.Crane Skywave - Love it!  Just got it yesterday, so still learning it
  • Sangean DT-800 - On the way, but seems nice
  • A Vonidor cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - Vonidor
  • A PowerBear cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - PowerBear
  • Also purchased a rotatable turntable to use with my Tecsun AN-200 loop antenna

Thanks for sharing my excitement!  :)

Johnny

DX Pedro

Just one question: what were, if any, the contenders against the ccrane?
Anyhoo, sounds like a lot of new fun coming up! :)
73s
// pedro andrade

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 3:11 PM John Lochey via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

As new radio purchases are always exciting and difficult to explain to "non-radio" people, I thought I'd share with the group.

New additions to my UltralightDX team are:
  • C.Crane Skywave - Love it!  Just got it yesterday, so still learning it
  • Sangean DT-800 - On the way, but seems nice
  • A Vonidor cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - Vonidor
  • A PowerBear cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - PowerBear
  • Also purchased a rotatable turntable to use with my Tecsun AN-200 loop antenna

Thanks for sharing my excitement!  :)

Johnny

Emily Keene

Congratulations on your new gear! I love the Skywave radios. I have the SSB one and the first one, and enjoy them both. I am in the middle of a move, and since my birthday is coming up, I bought a few new radios since so many of mine are packed up ( not the Cranes - I kept them both out! ) I bought several, but my two favorites of the new ones are a Tecsun PL-330 and a Sangean HDR-14.

Emily Hastings Keene, New Jersey ( moving to Massachusetts )

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.

Johnny

Hi Pedro,

Probably the Tecsun PL-330...  That one is nice, but a bit pricier!

I have the Eton Traveler III and the Tecsun PL-380 already, so they could have been contenders as well.

Johnny

DX Pedro

I would think the Crane would be pricier... Good to know! I have the 310et, and love it! one of the best piece of technology i've ever bought. :)

// pedro andrade

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 5:40 PM John Lochey via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Pedro,

Probably the Tecsun PL-330...  That one is nice, but a bit pricier!

I have the Eton Traveler III and the Tecsun PL-380 already, so they could have been contenders as well.

Johnny

Johnny

Hi Emily!

Birthday radios are the BEST!!!  :)

You'll have to tell me how you like the HDR-14 for DX'ing, I'm very tempted on that one!

The PL-330 looks great also and I could easily be enticed to buy one of those!

I really like all my CCrane stuff. They make some great radios!

Johnny

keith beesley

Congrats, John Lochey!!

I like Sangeans in general, haven't  bought any new ones in a while. I'll be interesting to hear what you think of the Vondior and the Power Bear.

Keith Beesley
Seattle USA

On Friday, April 30, 2021, 09:43:25 AM PDT, John Lochey via groups.io <jlochey@...> wrote:

Hi Emily!

Birthday radios are the BEST!!!  :)

You'll have to tell me how you like the HDR-14 for DX'ing, I'm very tempted on that one!

The PL-330 looks great also and I could easily be enticed to buy one of those!

I really like all my CCrane stuff. They make some great radios!

Johnny

Johnny

Hi Pedro,

Man you inspired me!

I was on the fence about the PL-310ET, but I pulled the trigger on Amazon.

I recently sold some tech stuff to make room for more radios, so it's not hitting my bank account too badly!  ;)

Thanks!

Johnny

Johnny

Hi Keith,

Yeah, I'm a sucker for the old school am/fm handhelds every since I feel in love with the GE 7-2500B radio that I received as a Christmas present when I was about nine years old.  Ever since then I can't seem to shake the desire to buy them!  And they've gotten SO MUCH BETTER over the years!!!

My Vintage GE radio:  Radio-that-started-my-Radio-Love

I'll let you know what I think of the Vonidor and Power Bear.

Johnny

Paul Blundell

It is always good to hear about the excitement of a new Radio.

Paul

On Sat, 1 May 2021, 00:11 John Lochey via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

As new radio purchases are always exciting and difficult to explain to "non-radio" people, I thought I'd share with the group.

New additions to my UltralightDX team are:
  • C.Crane Skywave - Love it!  Just got it yesterday, so still learning it
  • Sangean DT-800 - On the way, but seems nice
  • A Vonidor cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - Vonidor
  • A PowerBear cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - PowerBear
  • Also purchased a rotatable turntable to use with my Tecsun AN-200 loop antenna

Thanks for sharing my excitement!  :)

Johnny

DX Pedro

Gosh, I feel an awful responsibility now. Well I gotta say i do enjoy the radio. One grippe is the chugging. But beautiful little performer. Nice sound. I hope you don’t feel disappointed.
73s

--
// pedro andrade

Emily Keene

Pedro, I just bought some new and replacement radios and one duplicate I bought was the Tecsun PL310. I like it, too, especially on shortwave. The ETM works very well. The only real weakness for me with the 330 is the tiny ETM button, and the tendency to store too many dead frequencies that only have interference. The 310 ETM is just right.

Emily Hastings Keene, New Jersey

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.

William Ode

hi
The next step is a C.Crane Twin Coil Antenna best mounted on a TV Antenna Rotator (that displays Direction) located outdoors away from the building's noise envelope. Try finding one on eBay.
thanx
73 de jordan ve7jjd

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 5:38 PM Emily Keene via groups.io <comprimario=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pedro, I just bought some new and replacement radios and one duplicate I bought was the Tecsun PL310. I like it, too, especially on shortwave. The ETM works very well. The only real weakness for me with the 330 is the tiny ETM button, and the tendency to store too many dead frequencies that only have interference. The 310 ETM is just right.

Emily Hastings Keene, New Jersey

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.

Gavin

I just got my PL-330. I'm finding the best way to use it as I hate the soft mute but its better 1KHz off frequency (sometimes 2KHz!) or on sync. The very small STEP and ETM buttons I cut a matching piece off a fine heatshrink put a smidge of superglue on the button so keeping it black and raising it above the surrounding plastic of the display. Actually I put on 2 layers and the buttons are much easier to use now. I also bought a higher capacity battery and a charger. All set for serious portable listening in the park (low noise) now I hope.

Mike Sanburn

Congrats on the new radios!
Mike

As new radio purchases are always exciting and difficult to explain to "non-radio" people, I thought I'd share with the group.

New additions to my UltralightDX team are:
  • C.Crane Skywave - Love it!  Just got it yesterday, so still learning it
  • Sangean DT-800 - On the way, but seems nice
  • A Vonidor cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - Vonidor
  • A PowerBear cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - PowerBear
  • Also purchased a rotatable turntable to use with my Tecsun AN-200 loop antenna

Thanks for sharing my excitement!  :)

Johnny

Dan Merta

One can never have too many radios. I've been holding off getting a PL-310 for over a year now, so I think the time has come. My last new radio was a Dgitech AR-1458.

DX Pedro

Precisely. Perfect fo SWL, and for FM. AM i think i need to get or make an antenna. :)
// pedro andrade

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 1:38 AM Emily Keene via groups.io <comprimario=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pedro, I just bought some new and replacement radios and one duplicate I bought was the Tecsun PL310. I like it, too, especially on shortwave. The ETM works very well. The only real weakness for me with the 330 is the tiny ETM button, and the tendency to store too many dead frequencies that only have interference. The 310 ETM is just right.

Emily Hastings Keene, New Jersey

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.

DX Pedro

Well, if I can shamelessly plug my YT channel, 99% of the videos are about the 310et. have a look, and hopefully it my help y'all decide: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqpCMFHSRhJtv0xe6hlcNQ

(If this is spam, feel free to delete this and let me off with a warning)

// pedro andrade

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 12:32 PM Dan Merta <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
One can never have too many radios. I've been holding off getting a PL-310 for over a year now, so I think the time has come. My last new radio was a Dgitech AR-1458.

Paul Blundell

Some great videos there.

On Sat, 1 May 2021, 21:40 DX Pedro, <pmm.andrade@...> wrote:
Well, if I can shamelessly plug my YT channel, 99% of the videos are about the 310et. have a look, and hopefully it my help y'all decide: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqpCMFHSRhJtv0xe6hlcNQ

(If this is spam, feel free to delete this and let me off with a warning)

// pedro andrade

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 12:32 PM Dan Merta <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
One can never have too many radios. I've been holding off getting a PL-310 for over a year now, so I think the time has come. My last new radio was a Dgitech AR-1458.

Johnny

Hi all,

Update:

Of these radios, the following had to go back because they were just not quality enough.
  • Vonidor cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - Vonidor
  • PowerBear cheap AM/FM "old school" radio - PowerBear

Just FYI.

Johnny