Topics

Coronavirus and ULDXing

Paul Blundell

Hi all.

With the current issues around Coronavirus, has anybody noticed any impact around the ULDXing hobby?

Here I have noticed more local news reports and more targeted information. For those overseas who might not have seen, here in Australia some of our population have gone a little bit silly and are bulk / emergency buying  toilet paper, baby wipes, nappies, tissues and other items of this type. This has made getting these items quite hard.

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

keith beesley

It's no joke. A lot of us in the U.S. are stocking up on those items while we can.

I (and Gary DeBock, and several others) are in the Seattle area, which seems to be "ground zero" in North America, although I have seen reports from other coastal areas. Officials are asking people over age 60, or with underlying health problems, to stay home as much as possible. It will be made worse here by conflicting and misleading information coming from our federal health authorities.

At least radio listening and DXing is a good way to pass the time if we end up under quarantine for a bit :-).

Keith Beesley
Seattle, WA USA

On Sunday, March 8, 2020, 02:56:25 PM PDT, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Hi all.

With the current issues around Coronavirus, has anybody noticed any impact around the ULDXing hobby?

Here I have noticed more local news reports and more targeted information. For those overseas who might not have seen, here in Australia some of our population have gone a little bit silly and are bulk / emergency buying  toilet paper, baby wipes, nappies, tissues and other items of this type. This has made getting these items quite hard.

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Paul Blundell

That is good to know. We have had two cases here in Tasmania.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Larry Smith

Wasn't Australia the setting for the 1959 movie and book, "On the Beach"? Uh oh... I was out grocery shopping today in New York and nothing was really different, even though the Governor declared a "state of emergency", yesterday. T-paper was hammered for some reason (?), I guess if everybody is going to die, they think they are going to need a lot of T- paper in the next world? Don't know if it's everybody buying it up, or if the main supply hubs are out. I think the press and media are hyping this thing up, for a bunch of reasons. Just stick with the military saying, "hope for the best, prepare for the worse", but don't freak out. It'll be fine. I figure I stand more chance of getting killed by a texting driver, anyhow.

Gary DeBock

Greetings from the USA's Coronavirus Hot Spot,

Even here in Washington state there is still widespread skepticism about the risk of a Coronavirus epidemic, at least in this suburban location about 50 miles south of the Kirkland epicenter. The vast majority of the public is still going about their everyday activities, as if nothing has changed.

By coincidence my wife works at Life Care Center on South Hill, Puyallup, the sister facility of the disastrous Kirkland nursing home (responsible for 17 of the USA deaths). A nursing home is the worst possible place for the Coronavirus to strike, since there are always many elderly patients with serious health issues, even before a contagious virus attacks. The Coronavirus was just the final straw for many of those sick patients.

My wife is from Hong Kong, where they had a deadly SARS epidemic in 2003 which killed over 300 people. That virus also came from China, but the CCP hushed up any information about the disease until over 300 Hong Kong citizens were already dead. It has left a legacy of deep distrust among Hong Kong citizens toward the Beijing regime, and disbelief of any information they disseminate.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

kevin asato

i thought it rather amusing when i read that Costco in Honolulu had placed limits on purchases of cases of water and toilet paper. Now the Costcos in the Los Angeles Area are doing the same. Where i live, there is a large Asian population; some of who normally where face masks for allergy reasons. However, due to a mild public panic, face masks have also been sold out in the mainstream drugstores and home improvement stores; not just the traditional Asian outlets.

From a listening perspective, it is the start of Baseball Spring Training and the Lakers are finishing their season. Both sports are ending up on my AM. From a DX perspective KTAR (620) in Phoenix makes it into Los Angeles regularly. KNBR (680) makes it down to Los Angeles every now and then.

73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 9:30 PM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like at this point not much has changed from a radio point of view.

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, 3:54 p.m. kevin asato, <kc6pob@...> wrote:
i thought it rather amusing when i read that Costco in Honolulu had placed limits on purchases of cases of water and toilet paper. Now the Costcos in the Los Angeles Area are doing the same. Where i live, there is a large Asian population; some of who normally where face masks for allergy reasons. However, due to a mild public panic, face masks have also been sold out in the mainstream drugstores and home improvement stores; not just the traditional Asian outlets.

From a listening perspective, it is the start of Baseball Spring Training and the Lakers are finishing their season. Both sports are ending up on my AM. From a DX perspective KTAR (620) in Phoenix makes it into Los Angeles regularly. KNBR (680) makes it down to Los Angeles every now and then.

[...]

dave_m1ctk

Yes I've been watching the Today show often on ch9 here in the UK. they even gave away 12 pallets worth of toilet paper as a prize ! Karl is hilarious btw sorry for going off topic!

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, 02:48 Paul Blundell, <tanger32au@...> wrote:
[...]

Theo <theod438@...>

Could we 'please' return the group to a tighter recognition (and moderation) of its subject?

That is: the use, capabilities, possible input methods (antenna enhancement), and successes of 'long distance'/DX reception with rx's qualifying with the agreed parameters.

As serious as the COVID-19 outbreak might be, its symptoms/transmission have no relevance to these small radios or how we use them, unless they suddenly become the chosen communication vehicle for sufferers in quarantine.  I'll hold my breath on that.

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the message.

I believe that discussion around world events which may / are impacting the Ultralight DXing hobby are relevant to the group. If stations are providing more local information (much like with bush fire alerts), are changing programming or may go off the air / have less / no staff, this worth discussing. If the discussion gets a bit "off topic", so be it.

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Larry Smith

I agree with Paul. Could result in sched changes, times, alerts, "interesting" programming, more time for listening due to "quarantines", etc. But then, there is always "that guy", eh?  ever go to a town/village hall meeting? yep, "that guy" is always there.

Paul Blundell

http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/releases/nation_leading_border_restrictions_to_protect_tasmanians

"From midnight, Friday 20 March, all non-essential travellers departing for Tasmania will be required to quarantine for 14 days."

This will impact myself as I have a DX trip planned for late next month :(

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX