Common Interference Sources

Paul Blundell

I am currently trying to track down an interference source at home, it is not always an issue but of late I have noticed it both more often and stronger. Are charger generally getting worse as far as RFI goes?

Paul

Chris Rogers

Edited

Most plug packs and chargers are of the Chinese switch mode variety which are a big source of RFI. The best way to isolate noise is to tune to the noise on your radio turn all your appliances (everything) off in the house and turn the power off at the meter box. If the interference is gone, turn the power back on and gradually turn appliances back on one at a time until you find the source. There could be multiple sources in the house. If the interference is still there when all the power is off in the house it must be coming in externally to the house, a neighbour or a power line etc. The majority of times it will be something in your house.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Chris.

Getting the power off will require some negotiation with the other household members... I will try over the weekend to get them out of the house.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021, 18:03 Chris Rogers, <crvee8@...> wrote:
Most plug packs and chargers are of the Chinese switch mode variety which are a big source of RFI. The best way to isolate noise is to tune to the noise on your radio turn all your appliances (everything) off in the house and turn to power off at the meter box. If the interference is gone turn the power back on and gradually turn appliances back on one at a time until you find the source. There could be multiple sources in the house. If the interference is still there when all the power is off in the house it must be coming in externally to the house, a neighbour or a power line etc. The majority of times it will be something in your house.

Dave Hascall

Hi Paul.  If turning the main breaker off silences the noise, I then turn it back on and kill each circuit, breaker by breaker until I determine what circuit the culprit is on.  A touch lamp was the biggest offender.

73
Dave in Indy (Noblesville)

Paul S. in CT

In general I unplug ALL chargers when not in use, along with the toaster, microwave, and coffee pot. This will save some $ on the electric bill, too!

Paul S. in CT FN31nl

Paul S. in CT

If its not in the house, the neighbor's electric dog fence and intrusion detection (motion detector/burgalar alarm/tresspass detector) top the short list. The latter affects me at home. When the neighbor leaves for the weekends, the AM is unlistenable between 1000-1200kHz. Most of the time though, its a blup-blip-blip thats quieter. Rare, but local to me, is the NatGas pipeline transponder... nasty in the same bandwidth as above.

Paul S. in CT FN31nl

Gavin

Chargers getting worse? Yes, the cheap ones.
Allegedly they make them cheaper without RF suppression but even those with it are not good.

The list is long but for example unplug to see if a difference
- touch on/off bedside lamps
- phone chargers
- PC power supplies
- other appliance external power supplies
- appliances generally if they convert down voltage inside
- fluorescent lights and bad starters
- LED lights and light bulbs
- Wall switches for light dimmers
- Stick vac power chargers
- Wall warts of all descriptions especially if not transformer based
- security proximity lights
- security camera system and wifi cameras
- deck lighting
- electric operated shutters and blinds
- cordless tool chargers
- the list goes on.

Then, there's the neighbour's devices especially if you have an outside aerial.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Dave, we do have a touch lamp but this is at the other end of the house. I will keep it in mind.

Paul

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 1:16 AM Dave Hascall <dhinfomedia@...> wrote:
Hi Paul.  If turning the main breaker off silences the noise, I then turn it back on and kill each circuit, breaker by breaker until I determine what circuit the culprit is on.  A touch lamp was the biggest offender.

73
Dave in Indy (Noblesville)

I also do the same for "my" stuff but it is harder to get the rest of the family to do it...

Paul

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 3:54 AM Paul S. in CT <dxrx@...> wrote:
In general I unplug ALL chargers when not in use, along with the toaster, microwave, and coffee pot. This will save some $ on the electric bill, too!

Paul S. in CT FN31nl

A lot of houses (including ours) have had new power meters installed lately, I wonder if that might also be a part of it.

Paul

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 4:05 AM Paul S. in CT <dxrx@...> wrote:
If its not in the house, the neighbor's electric dog fence and intrusion detection (motion detector/burgalar alarm/tresspass detector) top the short list. The latter affects me at home. When the neighbor leaves for the weekends, the AM is unlistenable between 1000-1200kHz. Most of the time though, its a blup-blip-blip thats quieter. Rare, but local to me, is the NatGas pipeline transponder... nasty in the same bandwidth as above.

Paul S. in CT FN31nl

Thanks for the great list, I will start checking them each out.

Paul

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Gavin <gwatersvic@...> wrote:
[...]

The below is an NBN NTD device, from my testing last night it seems that this might be part of the issue, it will need me to look in to it further.

Paul

Andy - Arlington TX

The Home Depot website lets you search for LED light bulbs with the feature "No Electromagnetic Interference".

Does anybody know if that makes a difference for radio reception?

Is there a legal standard for being able to claim that?

By far and away, most of them are Phillips brand (121), then Hy-Lite (41), then a couple more brands with 1 each.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Paul Blundell

Good question Andy and not something I have seen here (Australia). I do wonder what "standard" they use to be able to claim this?

Paul

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 12:53 PM Andy - Arlington TX <andy.j1s@...> wrote:
The Home Depot website lets you search for LED light bulbs with the feature "No Electromagnetic Interference".

Does anybody know if that makes a difference for radio reception?

Is there a legal standard for being able to claim that?

By far and away, most of them are Phillips brand (121), then Hy-Lite (41), then a couple more brands with 1 each.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

radiojayallen

Motion detector lights are a big offender. I had to replace a garage door opened because the motion detector light wiped out almost all AM and SW through the entire house, although usually it is a bit less severe than that. In my new house, several appliances are RF noisy...my washing machine makes RFI but luckily only while it is running.

I also once had a very odd RFI issue that was very hard to find.. After turning off circuit breakers I knew which circuit the culprit was on, but after turning the breaker off then back on again the noise wouldn't come back for anywhere from an hour to a day. It turned out to be an audio processor (a DBX 119) which was plugged into an outlet strip...either item alone was OK but when plugged in together they created noise. I got rid of both since I no longer trusted them.

Paul Blundell

Last night we had a power outage due to some storms. The band was much quieter and these issues were gone. I noticed when the power came back on, it took a few minutes for it to get bad again, this I suspect shows that the issue is not so much with the power in general but instead something that takes a while to turn on / get working. I will keep looking in to it.

Tony Magon

Hi Paul

I would check the touch lamp first

Regards

Tony

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:05 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
Last night we had a power outage due to some storms. The band was much quieter and these issues were gone. I noticed when the power came back on, it took a few minutes for it to get bad again, this I suspect shows that the issue is not so much with the power in general but instead something that takes a while to turn on / get working. I will keep looking in to it.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Tony.

The touch lamp was unplugged at this time. Last night I noticed that this was coming and going fairly regularly, I will keep looking for it.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
Hi Paul

I would check the touch lamp first

Regards

Tony

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:05 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
Last night we had a power outage due to some storms. The band was much quieter and these issues were gone. I noticed when the power came back on, it took a few minutes for it to get bad again, this I suspect shows that the issue is not so much with the power in general but instead something that takes a while to turn on / get working. I will keep looking in to it.

Phillips

Fridge?

The touch lamp was unplugged at this time. Last night I noticed that this was coming and going fairly regularly, I will keep looking for it.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
Hi Paul

I would check the touch lamp first

Regards

Tony

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:05 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
Last night we had a power outage due to some storms. The band was much quieter and these issues were gone. I noticed when the power came back on, it took a few minutes for it to get bad again, this I suspect shows that the issue is not so much with the power in general but instead something that takes a while to turn on / get working. I will keep looking in to it.

That is possible, I will try to get some time over the weekend to look in to this more.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 10:03 AM Phillips <phillicom@...> wrote:
Fridge?