Barefoot? "Modified" ?

John Lochey <jlochey@...>

Hi all,

I had another question...

Is there still the concept of DX'ing "Barefoot" vs "Modified" ?

I have been out of the Ultralight DX'ing "scene" for awhile, so I wasn't sure?

I thought that "Barefoot" meant any unmodified "stock" radio that fit the Ultralight restrictions with size, etc.
Modified meant, "anything modification goes", while observing the Ultralight restrictions with size, etc.

Thanks,

Johnny

DX Pedro

You may find a user that publishes his logs here. He's all about barefoot DX, and has been having a lot of success.
73s

// pedro andrade

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 3:19 PM John Lochey via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I had another question...

Is there still the concept of DX'ing "Barefoot" vs "Modified" ?

I have been out of the Ultralight DX'ing "scene" for awhile, so I wasn't sure?

I thought that "Barefoot" meant any unmodified "stock" radio that fit the Ultralight restrictions with size, etc.
Modified meant, "anything modification goes", while observing the Ultralight restrictions with size, etc.

Thanks,

Johnny

Paul Blundell

That is spot on, we still have the two classes.

Paul

On Sat, 1 May 2021, 00:19 John Lochey via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I had another question...

Is there still the concept of DX'ing "Barefoot" vs "Modified" ?

I have been out of the Ultralight DX'ing "scene" for awhile, so I wasn't sure?

I thought that "Barefoot" meant any unmodified "stock" radio that fit the Ultralight restrictions with size, etc.
Modified meant, "anything modification goes", while observing the Ultralight restrictions with size, etc.

Thanks,

Johnny

Jorge Garzón

Hi John,
"Barefoot" would be most likely the receiver itself with its own antenna, no external 'help' at all. On FM the whip/earphones; on MW the ferrite built-in.

"Modified" as you pointed, means "anything modification goes", addig a new larger ferrite bar but, could be add under "modified" the use of an external antenna (a larger loop, an FSL and so on)? That would be actually an "assisted barefoot" when the reception is just by coupling an external aerial and not by direct connection.

Uhhmmm, thinking on that! 🤔