ATS100 (Interesting) Initial observations

FenDrifter

Okay, it’s arrived. 

At first I thought the battery was dead, but when I looked at it an hour later, it having been on charge (USB C) I discovered (no instructions) that you have to hold down the selector/tuning switch for a second or two. I have only been playing with it a short time but I think it’s going to be a fascinating, if tedious, little set. Tedious because to change any setting you do of course have to first click down the switch, and then turn either way to select your choice. What impresses me most is the whip antenna, it’s just quality. There’s a of static through the speaker, but when I plugged in my headphones it was much better. However, there’s a fairly high pitched whine caused by the display, which I found out when it automatically switched off. I did try it on a weak and fading signal I found initially on my E5 and then compared (Giovanni Baroni, IK5YZZ on 142.15) and it was equally as good. More to come. 

Drifter

Issac Quincey

This could be another option for me. I might stick to my PL380 first and really learn all I can about that.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

------- Original Message -------
On Wednesday, February 9th, 2022 at 1:58 AM, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman@...> wrote:

Okay, it’s arrived. 

At first I thought the battery was dead, but when I looked at it an hour later, it having been on charge (USB C) I discovered (no instructions) that you have to hold down the selector/tuning switch for a second or two. I have only been playing with it a short time but I think it’s going to be a fascinating, if tedious, little set. Tedious because to change any setting you do of course have to first click down the switch, and then turn either way to select your choice. What impresses me most is the whip antenna, it’s just quality. There’s a of static through the speaker, but when I plugged in my headphones it was much better. However, there’s a fairly high pitched whine caused by the display, which I found out when it automatically switched off. I did try it on a weak and fading signal I found initially on my E5 and then compared (Giovanni Baroni, IK5YZZ on 142.15) and it was equally as good. More to come. 

Drifter

FenDrifter

Hi Issac
I think I’d hang off on getting one of these until I’ve completed my assessment, I’m already thinking I should have gone for the Tecsun PL-368 as my next plaything. 

Drifter

Issac Quincey

Message received. I will wait for your assessment of this.

On Wednesday, February 9th, 2022 at 8:27 PM, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman@...> wrote:

Hi Issac
I think I’d hang off on getting one of these until I’ve completed my assessment, I’m already thinking I should have gone for the Tecsun PL-368 as my next plaything. 

Drifter

FenDrifter

Edited

Okay, a further mini update. I went out this morning with my Etón E5, ATS100 and a short wire antenna. Reception was pretty dire but a couple of things were learnt. Being relevant to both, I’ll start here because it’s simple. I opened the car window a bit and dropped the still partly coiled antenna out the window. I found the E5 worked a lot better with its built in whip, and the ATS100 a lot better with the wire.  

As I get to know the ATS100 better it gets a little quicker. I found that it does retain it’s numerical frequency on switching off, but doesn’t retain it’s sideband setting or bandwidth, which defaults to 0.5. So on initially turning on you have to through the procedure of setting these. If you enter BFO mode you have to exit it before re-tuning (remember everything is on one switch). This brings me to the next thing, which is whatever you adjusted last remains ‘under’ the switch. So if you’ve selected a frequency on sideband and then go to BFO to adjust it, when you next push the switch, BFO will be there to switch off. And what I also found was that rat rather than doing two clicks to get back to frequency tuning, if you hold the switch down it will take you straight there. This makes it a bit quicker switching between BFO and frequency adjustment. More will come later, when I might detail the menus. 

Drifter

Issac Quincey

That sounds promising and even with the quirks, it might still work out okay.

On Friday, February 11th, 2022 at 3:25 AM, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Okay, a further mini update. I went out this morning with my Etón E5, ATS100 and a short wire antenna. Reception was pretty dire but a couple of things were learnt. Being relevant to both, I’ll start here because it’s simple. I opened the car window a bit and dropped the still partly coiled antenna out the window. I found the E5 worked a lot better with its built in whip, and the ATS100 a lot better with the wire.  

As I get to know the ATS100 better it gets a little quicker. I found that it does retain it’s numerical frequency on switching off, but doesn’t retain it’s sideband setting or bandwidth, which defaults to 0.5. So on initially turning on you have to through the procedure of setting these. If you enter BFO mode you have to exit it before re-tuning (remember everything is on one switch). This brings me to the next thing, which is whatever you adjusted last remains ‘under’ the switch. So if you’ve selected a frequency on sideband and then go to BFO to adjust it, when you next push the switch, BFO will be there to switch off. And what I also found was that rat rather than doing two clicks to get back to frequency tuning, if you hold the switch down it will take you straight there. This makes it a bit quicker switching between BFO and frequency adjustment. More will come later, when I might detail the menus. 

Drifter

FenDrifter

BEWARE! Sorry to say my ATS100 has failed! I am returning it for refund and will not be replacing it. 

Drifter

earl tasca

Sorry to hear I may have bit on that one soon.....☹🖐

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022, 5:50 AM FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

BEWARE! Sorry to say my ATS100 has failed! I am returning it for refund and will not be replacing it. 

Drifter

FenDrifter

Does That mean you’ve bought one these Earl?
Drifter

earl tasca

No, but I did think of getting one but I am recovering from the hrd 747 I am very happy with my pl330 but will try something new soon I am sure.🌞🖐

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022, 2:34 PM FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Drifter

Paul Blundell

It really sounds like we have had some issues with new radios of late :(

Paul

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022, 6:49 am earl tasca, <Etasca227@...> wrote:
No, but I did think of getting one but I am recovering from the hrd 747 I am very happy with my pl330 but will try something new soon I am sure.🌞🖐

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022, 2:34 PM FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Drifter

FenDrifter

I’m really hoping I have more luck with the PL-368 I’m waiting for 😊.
Drifter

earl tasca

Hope to hear how you like it

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022, 5:11 PM FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’m really hoping I have more luck with the PL-368 I’m waiting for 😊.
Drifter

Issac Quincey

What happened? Hardware or software issue?

On Friday, February 11th, 2022 at 9:50 PM, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman@...> wrote:

Drifter

FenDrifter

Hi Issac
Well I don’t actually know. I was using it in the evening and it just switched off, so assuming it was a flat battery I put it on charge. Having left it overnight I attempted a few times to switch it on with no luck. The seller has accepted the return, but until he has received it and my money has been refunded I won’t be entirely happy. If anyone else buys or has bought one of these I’d be interested to know how it was/is received. Mine came in an apparently used bubble wrap bag with a USB lead. No box, no instructions or anything else. 

Drifter

dave_m1ctk

Hmm that's a bit worrying as I've just ordered one myself total cost £71.33. oh well see how we go 

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 at 12:06, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Issac
Well I don’t actually know. I was using it in the evening and it just switched off, so assuming it was a flat battery I put it on charge. Having left it overnight I attempted a few times to switch it on with no luck. The seller has accepted the return, but until he has received it and my money has been refunded I won’t be entirely happy. If anyone else buys or has bought one of these I’d be interested to know how it was/is received. Mine came in an apparently used bubble wrap bag with a USB lead. No box, no instructions or anything else. 

Drifter

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

I think you will be much happier with the PL-368. I've been putting mine through its paces for a month now and it is doing a stellar job on MW DX and SW DX. I have been using the whip and ferrite antenna's as my long wires were destroyed in a recent wind storm/tornado. Got to love Florida weather. Hi.

FenDrifter

Al I can say is I wish you better luck than I had Dave! Could you please let us know exactly what yours includes? In case like me you don’t get instructions, hold the knob down for about five seconds and it should kick into life. 

Ron, that’s very encouraging news! I’m still waiting for mine. That’s rotten luck about your long wires, it sounds as though you had it rough!
Drifter

dave_m1ctk

Thanks well I received mine this morning and initial thoughts are very poor on MW and FM. SW hmm passable maybe but I think it will have to go back. The display is clear and sharp etc but very small. Not tried with a long wire but don't think I'll bother. Don't waste your money guys is my advice !

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022, 01:08 FenDrifter via groups.io, <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Al I can say is I wish you better luck than I had Dave! Could you please let us know exactly what yours includes? In case like me you don’t get instructions, hold the knob down for about five seconds and it should kick into life. 

Ron, that’s very encouraging news! I’m still waiting for mine. That’s rotten luck about your long wires, it sounds as though you had it rough!
Drifter

Paul Blundell

It sounds like it is just not worth the $$$

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 10:02 PM dave_m1ctk <amstereofan@...> wrote:
Thanks well I received mine this morning and initial thoughts are very poor on MW and FM. SW hmm passable maybe but I think it will have to go back. The display is clear and sharp etc but very small. Not tried with a long wire but don't think I'll bother. Don't waste your money guys is my advice !

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022, 01:08 FenDrifter via groups.io, <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Drifter

--
Paul