Anybody get a new radio recently?

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

You can use the hidden features and disconnect the internal antenna and whip. Then plug the shortwave antenna into the jack for the ferrite that plugs into the top of the radio. I've done very well with a 30 foot long wire on SW.
73's
Ron

James Rohrer

 I am hoping the neighbors’ pond helps with reception. Tonight Zoomer Radio out of Toronto broadcast an old Sherlock Holmes radio show.  It was great fun.  Complete with ads for Petry wine, whatever that was.

Paul Blundell

That is a nice looking spot.

Paul

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 2:52 PM James Rohrer <Jim.rohrer1955@...> wrote:
 I am hoping the neighbors’ pond helps with reception. Tonight Zoomer Radio out of Toronto broadcast an old Sherlock Holmes radio show.  It was great fun.  Complete with ads for Petry wine, whatever that was.

FenDrifter

Hi Ron
I’m assuming that reply was for me, and if it was I’m slightly confused? Are you referring to the long press on 3 while in MW mode? If so then that wasn’t my understanding of it’s function.  I thought what it did was simply swap MW input between the internal ferrite or the plug-in ferrite? I hope I’m wrong, and from what you’ve said, I am. Please get back.

Drifter

dave_m1ctk

Yes my HRD 747 is great but unfortunately you can't switch to SSB on CB frequencies

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022, 21:18 Mark via groups.io, <metagenetics=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Although not an UL, I've got a Tecsun R9700DX on its way to me. I've liked this radio for a while so looking forward to it arriving. It will also be the first Tecsun radio I've owned.

Still using my R-108, Retekess v117 analogue, (very occasionally the v115, not a huge fan) and little Sony SRF-59 late at night in the Ultralight category.. I don't feel I need another UL just now.

Mark

FenDrifter

Hi again Ron
Okay, I’ve looked again at Jays’s page here: https://radiojayallen.com/tecsun-l-368/
It seems that the long press on 3 with the radio on allows you to  Switch between internal ferrite rod and whip on AM (MW & LW) so I was wrong about that. But I can still find nothing about using the antenna socket for anything other than the supplied plug-in ferrite? Confused I am 🤔.
Drifter

FenDrifter

Right, I know I’m answering my own questions here but I’ve just found this: https://youtu.be/7UDl1aCz-dc
which shows clearly an external antenna attached, confirming what Ron has said. So, would I be right in thinking I need the A setting for this please? I know I could ‘suck it and see’ but I scare easy 😅.
Drifter

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

Hi FenDrifter
When you press and hold the "3" button while radio is in the MW/LW mode you will see a short message on the display that reads either "CH 5" or "CH A". In "CH 5" the radio is using the whip antenna only and clipping a long wire or loop antenna to it will definitely bring in decent SW signals. If you notice the display reads MW SW above the displayed frequency. I use a 30 foot long wire with an alligator clip and pull about 1/2" of the whip antenna up and attach the gator clip. If I'm using my MLA 30+ loop I have rigged up a gator clip to attach it to this short section of whip. Simple and effective. Now, if the "CH A" mode is used you are turning off the whip and using the internal (and external ferrite when plugged in) ferrite antenna. If you plug a long wire or loop antenna into this jack you are getting a bit better signal by way of indirect coupling. Its about the same as using an old Select-A-Tenna or Tecsun AN-200 passive loop. I hope this helps clear up your inquiry and it won't harm your radio at all. Good DX and 73's!
Ron

FenDrifter

Hi Ron
Many thanks for such a detailed reply! It’s cleared me up on attaching a long wire for SW. So do I understand that plugging a long wire into the jack socket only benefits MW? In other words, regardless of what the #3 setting is, that socket is only for MW?

Drifter

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

Hi FenDrifter
You can still improve SW a good bit by plugging a long wire into the jack. Its not as good as turning on whip only (CH 5) and connecting an external antenna to the whip. If you are in CH A mode you have turned off the whip and are using the internal and external ferrite. When you use the plug at the top of the radio for an external antenna you are only getting indirect coupling from the external antenna to the internal ferrite. Its good for SW but not as good as using the whip only with an external attached. If you notice the You Tube video by Official SWL channel, he has plugged an external antenna into the top jack. He is getting good SW reception but again, not as good as if he were turning on whip only and attaching an external to it. Again, with the plugged in external he is getting indirect coupling from the external antenna to the radio.
73's
Ron

FenDrifter

Hi Ron
Once again many thanks! So clip-on it is! And now finally fully understood, and I really appreciate your patience 🙂.
Cheers
Drifter