An introduction

Gary DeBock

Hello Richard,

     Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the Ultralight DX group!  We all have differing reasons for taking up the challenge of pocket radio DXing, but the common denominator seems to be that it reminds us of our childhood days, when we thrilled to the reception of distant AM stations on a pocket transistor radio.

     My own experience was typical, having received a pocket transistor as an 8-year old for Christmas, in 1961.  The excitement of hearing stations in different states and provinces is something I'll never forget, and today's Ultralight DX competition is something that brings back that original excitement, at least for me.

     Most of us moved on to bigger and better radios, large antennas, and even ham radio's multiple challenges, but we have never forgotten our childhood fun of DXing with a pocket portable. Since the SRF-59-related Ultralight phenomena started in November, the explosive growth in the enthusiast group has primarily been related to nostalgia, in my opinion. Today's pocket radios have fantastic innovation and technical superiority, but we are the same excited operators that we were 40 years ago.  The only difference is that now, we are using them to receive Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia  :>)

                                                                 73,    Gary DeBock

dypete

Pete Giacopelli
"Carpe Diem"
"Seize the day"
"It's OK to think about what you want(ed) to do but it's time to do what you were meant to do."
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards" - Søren Kierkegaard
"Nature does nothing uselessly" Aristotle
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome" movie " Heartbreak Ridge"
"Remember, Progress not perfection!"

In a message dated 6/18/2008 3:24:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, D1028Gary@... writes:
Central

Yahoo! Groups

bbwrwy

I recently join the group and thought an introduction might be in order.

I'm retired a few years ago after working three decades for the
Oklahoma Employment Security Commission. Most of my listening today
is from my rural home northwest of Perry OK. The primary receivers is
a WiNRADiO G313e connected to a 21-meter wire aerial. I own a couple
of dozen other receivers including several ultralights (SRF-39FP, -59,
-M35, -M37V, -M37W and -T615). I belong to the IRCA, NRC and MWC.
I'm also a railfan and serve as secretary/webmaster of the Enid
Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society.

I don't remember when I first became interested in the hobby. My guess
is when I first heard a "Northern Messenger" program on CBW-990. That
was probably in the winter of 1960. I know it was late Friday night
and was cold outside. It was really something for a boy in Oklahoma to
hear station from so far away. But it wasn't long until I'd logged
CBK-540 and CBX-1010 as well. The receiver was a General Electric
"All-American Five", a gift from the Christmas before. Tuning around
on my SRF-59 often reminds me of those days.

In January, 1961, I started listening to short wave broadcasts on an
ancient set my grandmother owned and have been hooked since. Although
it's not as much fun as when a teenager, I still listen everyday. I'd
have to say my favorite station today is Radio Australia.

My all-time favorite receiver was the Yaesu FRG7700. Favorite
portable would have to be the Telefunken Bajazzo TS used to hear
CBA-1070, WINS-1010 and CFRB-1010 from England in the late 1960s. I
still listen on a Bajazzo Junior from time to time. The Telefunken
sets had good sensitivity and great sound.

I would have to describe myself as a casual (or lazy) medium wave
DXer. Over the years I have logged stations on five continents from
my present QTH. But I only bothered to QSL a two of my trans-oceanic
loggings (BBC-1214 and WDR-1586) back in the 1970s.

Well that is enough boring stuff for now. Best of DX.

Richard Allen.